ADVERTISEMENT

Open as +3 underdogs at Purdue

I am going to start with the premise that betting lines are set to make people bet, and therefore try to reflect what bettors think will happen. Therefore, bettors think we will lose by three. If you think that these same bettors are thinking "hmm, Fitz hasn't had his teams ready and they crap their pants in week one and two", then ok, I accept this.

If it is more of the "Purdue is up and coming based one one barely successful year and will beat a consistently solid team with good returning talent" , then I call BS. I think ANY OTHER 10 win P5 team is favored over PU in this.
Or, the line is set to make the bets even on both sides. They (PU) have some excitement that they have not had a while encouraging them to come out and be. We are pretty small and have been in this position for a while so no real excitement and limited betting . Result is a line like this to encourage bets on NU.

Purdues offense should be really good. It returns everyone but a couple receivers and a RT, but gets better at WR and gained a 5 year senior transfer on OL from wku. The defense is the question mark. Have a few really good players and a lot of unknown.

Brohm has said he's cautiously optimistic about the defense which gives me a little comfort. No one gave the d a chance last year, but Brohm kept hyping them up and they turned out to be really good. So we will see. Definitely some talent on both sides of the ball. Can't wait for the game!!! Good luck guys!

Yup. He's 5-9 165 and runs a 4.4 40. Also just squatted 600. Brohm said he will play outside, in the spot, at runningback, punt return, and kick return. So basically, how can we get him the ball. Lol

Most Purdue fans are looking towards the future and are excited for the 2019 class. It looks like we will add 3 or 4 more 4 star recruits. Could be a good taking the next step sort of class.

Yup. He's 5-9 165 and runs a 4.4 40. Also just squatted 600. Brohm said he will play outside, in the spot, at runningback, punt return, and kick return. So basically, how can we get him the ball. Lol

Most Purdue fans are looking towards the future and are excited for the 2019 class. It looks like we will add 3 or 4 more 4 star recruits. Could be a good taking the next step sort of class.

Rondale Moore is an exciting player, but I’d be worried about him staying healthy playing a P5 schedule as a “high touch” guy at his size.

Still think Brohm will jump to Louisville as soon as it’s open, potentially as soon as 2019.

Rondale Moore is an exciting player, but I’d be worried about him staying healthy playing a P5 schedule as a “high touch” guy at his size.

Still think Brohm will jump to Louisville as soon as it’s open, potentially as soon as 2019.
Will Purdue fans sweat it out if Petrino leaves? Yes. But I'm not sure Louisville is a better job then Purdue. He had several calls last year and Purdue fended off Tennessee. I think he is at Purdue for a while. I think Being able to be a perennial big ten west contender is more enticing then trying to get through the acc as well. Purdue is a really good job to have right now. And Brohm is getting everything he needs to win.

Will Purdue fans sweat it out if Petrino leaves? Yes. But I'm not sure Louisville is a better job then Purdue. He had several calls last year and Purdue fended off Tennessee. I think he is at Purdue for a while. I think Being able to be a perennial big ten west contender is more enticing then trying to get through the acc as well. Purdue is a really good job to have right now. And Brohm is getting everything he needs to win.

Even if Brohm feels like Louisville is a lateral move relative to Purdue, the lure of going to coach at your alma mater in your hometown would make Louisville the heavily favored destination if they come calling. Pure logic should make this evident to anyone looking at this objectively.

Reactions: NU Houston
Even if Brohm feels like Louisville is a lateral move relative to Purdue, the lure of going to coach at your alma mater in your hometown would make Louisville the heavily favored destination if they come calling. Pure logic should make this evident to anyone looking at this objectively.
No your right. But there is also the whole money thing of can Louisville afford to pay him. Plus they have a pretty good coach right now. Every year Brohm stays at Purdue, the more his price tag goes up. I'd assume next year it would take at least 4.5 million to get him to leave. Then there are other factors of, would he want to move if he is happy where he is at? Another thought, he is a hero in Louisville's eyes, would he want to go there and possibly lose and ruin that. I think it's more likely they bring charlie strong back. Brohm is assembling a pretty good team. The longer he stays, the harder it will be to leave. I'm not terribly worried. He wants to be at Purdue. Purdue has a lot to offer and is continuing to be a better job every year.

What are northwestern's strengths this year? What are their weakness's? I honestly don't know much about them. I just know they always have a solid foundation.

No your right. But there is also the whole money thing of can Louisville afford to pay him. Plus they have a pretty good coach right now. Every year Brohm stays at Purdue, the more his price tag goes up. I'd assume next year it would take at least 4.5 million to get him to leave. Then there are other factors of, would he want to move if he is happy where he is at? Another thought, he is a hero in Louisville's eyes, would he want to go there and possibly lose and ruin that. I think it's more likely they bring charlie strong back. Brohm is assembling a pretty good team. The longer he stays, the harder it will be to leave. I'm not terribly worried. He wants to be at Purdue. Purdue has a lot to offer and is continuing to be a better job every year.

This is a big year for Brohm. If the Boilers continue to improve (say 8-4 regular with bowl win) his stock goes up. On the other hand, losses to OSU, MSU, Iowa, Nebraska, and the Cats along with stumbles to Say Minnesota and BC would leave them home for bowls. In that case, he falls in the search for high profile jobs.

“Tennessee Coaching Search Reveals Jeff Brohm Was Never Close:” https://www.hammerandrails.com/2018/3/23/17156386/tennessee-coaching-jeff-brohm-never-happened

Brohm is Louisville’s equivalent of Pat Fitzgerald or David Shaw, a prodigal son alum returning home. I have a hard time seeing Purdue able to beat that.

I think the negative line is totally due to the uncertainty about Thorson. Judging by what both teams have coming back, I don't see how you favor Purdue if Thorson is 100 percent.
The question would be can Purdue exploit NU’s untested safeties?

“Tennessee Coaching Search Reveals Jeff Brohm Was Never Close:” https://www.hammerandrails.com/2018/3/23/17156386/tennessee-coaching-jeff-brohm-never-happened

Brohm is Louisville’s equivalent of Pat Fitzgerald or David Shaw, a prodigal son alum returning home. I have a hard time seeing Purdue able to beat that.
There are other reports that basically say bobinski had to give him more money for him to stay and he was committed to Purdue because he wants to see the rebuild to the end. Brohm has said where there is smoke there is fire.

If Louisville is unwilling to pay brohm 4.5 mil, it's a mute point. That's what I think it would take to get brohm to consider leaving. And each year, that number goes up.

We will have much more of a down field attack this year. I'd say our offense will be a better version of what we saw vs Iowa. Definitely more talent on O this year.
I agree that Purdue’s offense will be very solid, and improved over last year. Assuming Thorson is healthy, the same can be said of the Cats. I really like Sindelar, and would expect him to get most of the snaps. As has been implied elsewhere, the Cats defense should start the season as better than the Boilers, and certainly more experienced.

Oh ya. Our defense has some pieces to like, but most of those pieces are redshirt freshmen and sophomores. Honestly don't think we are starting more than 1 senior on defense.

We will have much more of a down field attack this year. I'd say our offense will be a better version of what we saw vs Iowa. Definitely more talent on O this year.

Unless you’ve got some true freshman wideouts who are ready to compete at the B1G level immediately, Purdue’s offensive personnel isn’t really that scary.

Unless you’ve got some true freshman wideouts who are ready to compete at the B1G level immediately, Purdue’s offensive personnel isn’t really that scary.
Solid O-line, four RB's capable of starting, and all our WR's that were injured last year. Sparks converted mid year from QB and showed a ton of potential. He got hurt. Zico and Wright were juco's last year that showed promise. Word around the campfire is they have taken a big steps. Anthrop is Anthrop... good. The coaches keep talking about Burgess. And then Rondale Moore is the freshman that will play a lot. We also have a pair of TE's that are pretty good. Being the second year into the offense will help as well. I'm not worried about the offense. It came on strong for Iowa-Arizona. It's the defense that could be concerning. Especially early on.

What are northwestern's strengths this year? What are their weakness's? I honestly don't know much about them. I just know they always have a solid foundation.

It'll be strength vs strength when Purdue has the ball. NU was elite against the run last year but bend-not-break vs the pass even with our Sr safeties, who have since graduated. If Purdue exploits the safeties then they could hit some explosion plays. Our corners are solid. LBs are elite, DL is very good.

Our offense is underrated. I'm guessing our gameplan will be to control time of possession to keep the ball out of the hands of the Purdue offense. With 4 of 5 starting OL returning we will try to control the LOS. Larkin could have a big day running the ball.

It'll be strength vs strength when Purdue has the ball. NU was elite against the run last year but bend-not-break vs the pass even with our Sr safeties, who have since graduated. If Purdue exploits the safeties then they could hit some explosion plays. Our corners are solid. LBs are elite, DL is very good.

Our offense is underrated. I'm guessing our gameplan will be to control time of possession to keep the ball out of the hands of the Purdue offense. With 4 of 5 starting OL returning we will try to control the LOS. Larkin could have a big day running the ball.
Sounds like it should be a great game as expected! I can't wait for football season.

As you say we have a don't get beat deep philosophy and it seemed that PU liked to go deep so it will be interesting to see. With good weather, passing game can make more impact. Frosh are Frosh and while they can develop as Frosh, they are not generally ready to make an impact in the first game of the season.

I like the direction the Boilers are going. However, they were not impressive at all in Evanston last year. Actually thought their D was pretty good, but O not so much.
That was honestly one of the worst games we played. Our offense went into a serious funk for the wisconsin, Rutgers, nebraska, northwestern games. I think it took a while for the offense to come into it's own. And will take another step with another off season. They are going in the right direction though! Recruiting is doing well right now. 247 just listed one of our DE's as a 5 star.

Solid O-line, four RB's capable of starting, and all our WR's that were injured last year. Sparks converted mid year from QB and showed a ton of potential. He got hurt. Zico and Wright were juco's last year that showed promise. Word around the campfire is they have taken a big steps. Anthrop is Anthrop... good. The coaches keep talking about Burgess. And then Rondale Moore is the freshman that will play a lot. We also have a pair of TE's that are pretty good. Being the second year into the offense will help as well. I'm not worried about the offense. It came on strong for Iowa-Arizona. It's the defense that could be concerning. Especially early on.

1) If Anthrop is your definition of “good,” then I’m not worried. He’s very adequate.

2) Arizona was awful on defense last year. Terrible barometer.

1) If Anthrop is your definition of “good,” then I’m not worried. He’s very adequate.

2) Arizona was awful on defense last year. Terrible barometer.
No he's not our best receiver. But he did have 425 yards and 5 TD's on 47 receptions as a true freshman. He won't start next year though.

There are other reports that basically say bobinski had to give him more money for him to stay and he was committed to Purdue because he wants to see the rebuild to the end. Brohm has said where there is smoke there is fire.

If Louisville is unwilling to pay brohm 4.5 mil, it's a mute point. That's what I think it would take to get brohm to consider leaving. And each year, that number goes up.
Brohm was a very good hire. I think your DC Holt did a fine job last year too. Hope he stays, good for Purdue and good for the B1G. However, if he continues to shine, I think he leaves. Louisville is his roots, but I would worry about LSU myself. That goof EO won’t make it there long term and LSU can contend for a NC much easier than Louisville or Purdue.

That was honestly one of the worst games we played. Our offense went into a serious funk for the wisconsin, Rutgers, nebraska, northwestern games. I think it took a while for the offense to come into it's own. And will take another step with another off season. They are going in the right direction though! Recruiting is doing well right now. 247 just listed one of our DE's as a 5 star.

Or maybe those defenses had a little something to do with that funk? I expect our defense, if healthy, to be as good if not better than last year.

Brohm was a very good hire. I think your DC Holt did a fine job last year too. Hope he stays, good for Purdue and good for the B1G. However, if he continues to shine, I think he leaves. Louisville is his roots, but I would worry about LSU myself. That goof EO won’t make it there long term and LSU can contend for a NC much easier than Louisville or Purdue.
LSU doesn't worry me. Brohm wants to stay close to home. Which is Louisville. Plus I think he has a sense of loyalty. It was hard to get him from WKU. But now he's making 3.8 mil and will be making 4.5 in 7 years. Is getting brand new everything and continued investments. If he does leave, he's left Purdue in a much better place. And this version of Purdue is much better than 2 years ago when Burke was our AD. Our AD is making good hires and giving coaches what they need to win.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT