ADVERTISEMENT

Open Practice Today From 4 - 5 For STH

Big guys doing defense drills vs. Gus, who looks like he’s been working out a bit. He’s scoring on them pretty well. He’s working on a nice little hook.

• Wow
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Scrimmage defense with coaches and starters on offense, BMac still our best PG on the floor. Ty breaking some ankles. Freshmen demonstrating that bite-on-everything experience. Lots of athleticism tho.

They’re working a lot on perimeter switching. They need a lot of work.

He’s missing a lot of interior passes and working on a little turn around from the free throw line. Low percentage so far, but I’d expect to see it in games.

Reactions: DaCat
Ty Berry looked ready to go and I believe he will be a focal point of the offense. I thought Clayton looked improved and Chris Collins had some praise for Mullins. Nicholson moves really well for a big guy. I just wish he had a better touch on his shots, although he did show a little half hook with his left hand that could help. I don't expect much immediate help from the Frosh. This team will go as far as the veterans and two transfers will take us, and we can't afford injuries to key guys that we managed to survive last year.

I thought Matt's shooting touch from 10-12 feet looked good in the pick and roll drills for the big guys. I suspect he has worked hard at it.
It looks like they've been running those drills a fair bit for him, Keenan, and Luke.

If we ever see Gus in a game, I'll bet he gets off at least one of those bunny hooks because he's definitely been working on those.

Not much to add. It was hard to get a sense of the rotation or who looked good just based on the offensive and defensive drills that they were doing. I did notice that Barkley was working with the wings not the big men. Still don't know if he'll be a contributor, but I was wondering how the coaches saw him fitting in.

Big Matt looks like he’s about 45 in the team photo.
You mean Mattbraham Lincohlson?

464597334_850639533947129_5534865940869937996_n.jpg

Ty Berry looked ready to go and I believe he will be a focal point of the offense. I thought Clayton looked improved and Chris Collins had some praise for Mullins. Nicholson moves really well for a big guy. I just wish he had a better touch on his shots, although he did show a little half hook with his left hand that could help. I don't expect much immediate help from the Frosh. This team will go as far as the veterans and two transfers will take us, and we can't afford injuries to key guys that we managed to survive last year.
I'm sure the dynamic will change a lot once Brooks joins in, but from what we saw yesterday I think Ty will spend a lot of the offense without the ball, moving around the arc for a three on the third pass.

Mullins, Windham, and Leach all look like they will be doing the drive and dish with Matt/Keenan, while Nick/Blake/Brooks (Luke) are moving and screening low. I think Leach had the best shooting results, but I was pretty happy with what Windham was doing.

Angelo looked 'the most' lost of the guys and I'm pretty sure I heard Collins say something to him like 'I know you don't know the plays, but try...'. Setting that aside, he has a nice touch and moves well. He just might not see too much court until he learns a bit more specifics to the team.

I was generally happy with everything I saw out of the guys and I'm confident that playing time will come down to who can get the best handle on the defense the soonest, because they all look like they can compete. The worst part of the practice for me, really, was just Matt flubbing so many of the passes to him on the move. There were some optimistic (bad) efforts to get him the ball, but there were several solid into-his-hands throws and he didn't capitalize on most of them. We need that to change by next week, imho. But even there, he was moving really well for a guy recovering from a foot injury earlier this year. Ty also moved well, btw.

The worst part of the practice for me, really, was just Matt flubbing so many of the passes to him on the move. There were some optimistic (bad) efforts to get him the ball, but there were several solid into-his-hands throws and he didn't capitalize on most of them. We need that to change by next week, imho. But even there, he was moving really well for a guy recovering from a foot injury earlier this year.
Something to keep an eye on, to be sure, but I would chalk this up to just working on his timing now after being out of action for a while.

Reactions: EagerFan
Too funny.......
Oops, now I want to be clear that Collins was encouraging him, I just don't remember the specific advice he gave him to try. Maybe something about going over the pick instead of under? I'm not sure.

Something to keep an eye on, to be sure, but I would chalk this up to just working on his timing now after being out of action for a while.

Honestly, as a Nicholson fan, his hands have got to get better. There's so much raw material there and his footwork on the defensive end is pretty good - he just needs the ball thrown in the right place or he's not been very good at catching it. To the point where a bounce pass to him was ill-advised. Still, glad to hear they're trying to run stuff to get him the ball in scoring position. He has gotten to be a pretty good passer.

Question to all attendees...

Is it safe to say Mullins is ahead of Smith who is ahead of Ciavarino?
And am I crazy to think Windham will play and score significantly for us?

Based entirely and solely on the practice yesterday, Windham will get to see the court in the early games and have the chance to show he deserves minutes. What happens after that is really up to him.

Mullins vs. Smith playing time, I have no idea - I suppose it depends on how they're showing up in practice. Smith was better working in the defense last year, Mullins seems more athletic.

Reactions: No Chores
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT