ADVERTISEMENT

OSU I_wa

phatcat

Nov 5, 2001
Wisconsin
1. I miss having a defense
2. Ferentz finally benches Petras de Milo so the 2nd string guy has some prep ahead of our game

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
1. I miss having a defense
2. Ferentz finally benches Petras de Milo so the 2nd string guy has some prep ahead of our game
Perfect example of a game where a really good defense has no chance because their offense is so bad and can’t do anything. Ohio State has had about 10 possessions that started in Iowa territory. Iowa and NU both need to come to terms with the fact that you need to have an explosive offense in todays game if you want to win consistently.

• Love
Thought that Iowa's defense would keep the game from being a super huge blowout, something like 31-10 Ohio State, but Iowa is getting a beat down (54-10).

Perfect example of a game where a really good defense has no chance because their offense is so bad and can’t do anything. Ohio State has had about 10 possessions that started in Iowa territory. Iowa and NU both need to come to terms with the fact that you need to have an explosive offense in todays game if you want to win consistently.
Well our offense reminds me of some explosions I've seen after eating Indian food

Reactions: NJCat
also, just Ohio State’s offense is on a higher plane of existence than even Iowa’s extremely excellent defense. At no point was Iowa really stopping OSU, just slowing them down and keeping them to some field goals. Iowa’s defense is truly phenomenal in almost every way, but Ohio State’s offense is simply a white hot grease fire of pure entertainment.

also, just Ohio State’s offense is on a higher plane of existence than even Iowa’s extremely excellent defense. At no point was Iowa really stopping OSU, just slowing them down and keeping them to some field goals. Iowa’s defense is truly phenomenal in almost every way, but Ohio State’s offense is simply a white hot grease fire of pure entertainment.
I guess that's why Saban determined Alabama could not continue to compete for national titles on the old philosophy that "defense wins championships" and switched his thinking to needing to have an elite offense to compete in modern college football. Also, I think NU needs to refocus on offense for entertainment value and to get casual Chicagoland fan interest in the team.

I guess that's why Saban determined Alabama could not continue to compete for national titles on the old philosophy that "defense wins championships" and switched his thinking to needing to have an elite offense to compete in modern college football. Also, I think NU needs to refocus on offense for entertainment value and to get casual Chicagoland fan interest in the team.
Listen, great defense is great! To win a national championship you need to be great everywhere. Georgia had one of the better national champion teams in recent years as a defensive team and program. Defense is great!

But you also need to score in modern college football, full stop. You need to score and you need to pass the ball. You can be a defensive program and play great defense but you cannot go into the game thinking your offense only exists to conservatively compliment the defensive play. Hang your hat on great defense, sure, but your offense needs to show up every week with a goal of scoring as many points as they can with the drives they are given.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT