ADVERTISEMENT

OSU in talks to join the SEC, replace Vanderbilt?

But talks are underway. OSU is not happy with B1G “leadership”, especially with how Warren nearly bungled last season away.

The OSU, OU, Texas, Clemson, and SEC leadership are playing chess. The rest of the ADs are fumbling with their checkers. More to come about the New World Order as soon as I can share it. Maybe somebody else will hear similar and leak it first.
SEC must be looking to poach Clemson in addition to OSU. Otherwise they'd be at 17, an awkward number. Maybe another two teams to get to 20? FSU would be an obvious choice.

At that point, they might as well change their name to the Playoff Conference.

Glades said it added up to about $50 an hour. Plus all the perks they get.

Anyway, there’s no going back now, as horrible as it is. It’ll be somewhat amusing to watch as fans who advocated for this suddenly realize what the consequences will be.
And tax free so significantly more than a $50/hour salary

Reactions: Gladeskat
When you hear that from the B1G university presidents who actually get to vote on expansion, let us know.

That’s my point. But this NIL thing sure is putting education on the backburner for these athletes. They’ll be too busy selling themselves all day.

Reactions: drewjin
1) if the Taj MahFitz wasn’t considered compensation by the brilliant economic minds on this very board, then no. Scholarships are not compensation.

2) You can attach a monetary value to it - so for a thought exercise, let’s postulate that the Taj MahFitz and also scholarships are compensation. By that measurement, our WBB and Lacrosse teams are already over-compensated whereas our collegiate football players are woefully under-compensated compared to the revenues they bring to the school.
Tell that to someone who did not pay his own way through NU (list price)

Last edited:
Reactions: zanycat
Another red herring. Nearly every, if not every, football player who suits up in a college uniform is 18. A legal adult.

And, again, your argument is irrelevant. Kids under 18 shouldn’t be able to make money? They can and do all the time. A drama student shouldn’t be able to act in a play for money? A journalism student shouldn’t be able to write for a newspaper for money? A chemistry student shouldn’t be able to work in a lab for money? They can and do all the time. Why should athletes be treated any differently?

And the fact remains that they still are treated differently. The NIL rights have not changed the fact that NCAA athletes don’t get paid to play sports. Your entire argument is centered around the incorrect assertion that they do.

This has nothing to do with morals. Change is tough. I get that it’s scary. College football is fun and pure. Why change it? My guess is the top 1%, the Bryce Youngs, will make some real money, a lot of other people will make some pocket change, and most won’t make anything. Right now it’s new and shiny, so the sharks are circling. But the truth is that a meaningful number of the Bryce Youngs have been getting paid. Now we can just dispense with the fiction and put it out in the open.
If they can make this money in College, what is to stop it from moving down to HS?

Reactions: zanycat and drewjin
SEC must be looking to poach Clemson in addition to OSU. Otherwise they'd be at 17, an awkward number. Maybe another two teams to get to 20? FSU would be an obvious choice.

At that point, they might as well change their name to the Playoff Conference.
Of course if they get all those super teams will they still be super teams having to face each other each year?

If they can make this money in College, what is to stop it from moving down to HS?
The market? Otherwise, nothing. Nothing currently does. Most high schoolers don't have much market value. So they don't get paid. I doubt that changes. The next LeBron probably makes some cash. And shouldn't he? He was insanely valuable then and he's insanely valuable now.

Aren't the dictates of the free market what you and others like? Don't you favor the invisible hand over the iron fist of government regulations? Why is this particular issue suddenly so different?

It's amazing that people on this board who have argued vociferously for, and politically supported, economic liberties and free markets are so uniformly opposed to this concept. College kids have always been compensated to play sports in the form of scholarships. It's not liquid cash the way that payments for NIL licensing will often be, but it's the actual consideration for the contract that binds them to play for their schools. They don't play by their own choice, they lose their scholarships. High school kids can get athletic scholarships to private schools, too. It's still compensation. It's just not cash.

The part that's being glossed over - or, if you're more cynical, misleadingly elided - is that NIL rights don't give any athlete money in exchange for playing sports. They allow them to generate income for licensing a right to publicity that every American citizen has. Nothing has changed here in regards to employment or scholarships or the relationship between school and player. What has changed is a removal of anti-competitive and anti-free-market regulations restricting individuals from their God-given liberties and freedoms as Americans - and somehow, our conservative friends are lined up in unison against it!

I fully expect this post and/or this portion of the thread to be vaporized soon enough, but let's just call a spade a spade here.

Last edited:
And tax free so significantly more than a $50/hour salary

Plus $50/hr is based on 1500 hours of work/time on football in some manner per year. Of course, that salary increases with the rising cost of an NU education.

Perks include excellent food, diet, health care (football related), having the first choice in course registration, tutoring, let alone the entire rush of playing Big Ten football with its travel, fine dining, etc.

What it doesn't include is TV rental bill for a two-week stay in the NU student health center. It took 15 years for that bill to find me. I had no clue about it (afterall, I was sick) for 15 years. Amazing. The bill was paid.

Last edited:
Plus $50/hr is based on 1500 hours of work/time on football in some manner per year. Of course, that salary increases with the rising cost of an NU education.

Perks include excellent food, diet, health care (football related), having the first choice in course registration, tutoring, let alone the entire rush of playing Big Ten football with its travel, fine dining, etc.

What it doesn't include is TV rental bill for a two-week stay in the NU student health center. It took 15 years for that bill to find me. I had no clue about it (afterall, I was sick) for 15 years. Amazing. The bill was paid.
You were sick for 15 years? That explains a lot

No, you are wrong again.

There is no imbalance whatsoever. Fitz is a university employee. He is paid to coach the football team. How much he gets paid is irrelevant. That's a matter of what the university thinks he is worth.

Students are not university employees. Quite the opposite in fact. They are actually university customers. Let me say that again to make sure you understand it. Students, all students, are university customers. Not employees.

And as such, there is absolutely nothing in the relationship that gives students the right to sell their NIL for a profit. In fact quite the opposite.
Why is the amount Fitz is paid irrelevant? Also the players are employees who make lots of money for the schools. Your untruths are catching up with you.

You were sick for 15 years? That explains a lot

Is that what a "two-week stay" equates to in hdhntr years? You're gonna live a long time!

Thinking back on it now, I think they found me when I requested official transcripts from NU while applying to Pitt's grad school. That's the only way I can figure they found me, so it would be at least 13 years later. They never contacted my folks living 30 miles away. I believe my parents paid the hospital and student health center bills off of their health insurance. NU football covered medical bills related to football. That's reasonable. Whoever paid the bill wouldn't accept the TV rental, though, and I suspect they flagged my file at the registrar's office.

Yet none of those things you described are actual monetary compensation.

Last time I checked, a Harvard degree and two bucks will get you a bus ride to somewhere. What will an OSU degree guarantee you?

Last time I checked, a Harvard degree and two bucks will get you a bus ride to somewhere. What will an OSU degree guarantee you?
LOL, a Harvard degree opens lots of doors. That's why people will pay lots of money, as in monetary, in pursuit of one. You paid money, as in monetary, in pursuit of your degree, so it was clearly of monetary value to you, or else you wouldn't have exchanged money for it.

It's also a credential, there are literally jobs you can't apply for without this credential. Two bucks for a bus ride to interview for such a job without the credential, and you just wasted two bucks.

Those with a college degree on average enjoy much higher lifetime earnings than those without:

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/research-summaries/education-earnings.html

"Men with bachelor's degrees earn approximately $900,000 more in median lifetime earnings than high school graduates. Women with bachelor's degrees earn $630,000 more."

That's a dollar value, as in a monetary value, of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Your statement is entirely laughable, nonsensical, and unpersuasive.

LOL, a Harvard degree opens lots of doors. That's why people will pay lots of money, as in monetary, in pursuit of one. You paid money, as in monetary, in pursuit of your degree, so it was clearly of monetary value to you, or else you wouldn't have exchanged money for it.

It's also a credential; there are literally jobs you can't apply for without this credential. Two bucks for a bus ride to interview for such a job without the credential, and you just wasted two bucks.

Those with a college degree on average enjoy much higher lifetime earnings than those without:

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/research-summaries/education-earnings.html

"Men with bachelor's degrees earn approximately $900,000 more in median lifetime earnings than high school graduates. Women with bachelor's degrees earn $630,000 more."

That's a dollar value, as in a monetary value, of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Your statement is entirely laughable, nonsensical, and unpersuasive. Maybe the word you're looking for is "fungible," because your degree isn't an asset that you can "liquidate" by trading it in for cash.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
Not really. I'm fully in favor of free markets and employees in that market earning their worth. No question about it. And professional sports certainly is great example.

But the question here is whether collegiate sports constitute a true market at all and has legitimate employees.

I don't see college players as employees. Quite the opposite, in fact. I see them as students who are fortunate enough in their athletic abilities to earn a scholarship and a free ride to college. That's it.

They don't deserve to earn any money beyond that just because they happen to stand out and get more recognition than some of their other teammates. And therein lies a big part of the problem with this unfortunate happening.
Professional sports is a great example of a free market???? Are you high? No private industry other than professional sports has a draft, or a salary cap, or can be traded somewhere they don’t want to go. insanity.

Reactions: Dugan15
Ohio St and Michigan have both been contacted by the SEC. The B1G would definitely be easier to win.

Ohio St and Michigan have both been contacted by the SEC. The B1G would definitely be easier to win.
That’s old news. Check out the other thread. The cream of the SEC, B1G, and Big 12 may be teaming up to form a superconference.

Last edited:
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
That’s old news. Check out the other thread. The cream of the SEC, B1G, and ACC may be teaming up to form a superconference.
Didn't you just say in the other thread that the ACC is out because of their TV contract? I thought that was the big update from your buddy today....

Reactions: drewjin
Geography, culture, and deep roots of 100+ years of B1G/Western membership all cast doubt on this rumour.
Bullshit!!!!! Money runs the entire show anymore. Most of the Playoff Committee is a bunch of corporate hacks and university presidents that are just as $$$ hungry. If it meant getting an extra $20+ million a year, OSU might just take off. The BIG is getting rather boring. See if Cincinnati would take OSU's place. This is probably a rumor, but if the money for OSU was rather substantial, don't be surprised if the leave at some point.

Reactions: CatManTrue
Bullshit!!!!! Money runs the entire show anymore. Most of the Playoff Committee is a bunch of corporate hacks and university presidents that are just as $$$ hungry. If it meant getting an extra $20+ million a year, OSU might just take off. The BIG is getting rather boring. See if Cincinnati would take OSU's place. This is probably a rumor, but if the money for OSU was rather substantial, don't be surprised if the leave at some point.
Thanks for joining the discussion from July.

Don’t you understand we have a season to bitch about and round ball to add to our miseries when this is done! Get with it.

Reactions: StreamCat
Done my share of bitching about this crap season. I needed something to get my mind off of it
Well my buddy was clearly joking around. And in retrospect I kind of new it there was a tiny, near zero possibility of this happening.

But a super conference could still happen in a few years. At this point, There’s no sense in OSU going from being the premier B1G program to another SEC team.

ADVERTISEMENT