ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Al's Deli, RIP Bob Pottinger

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
This won't be new news to some, but I was saddened to learn today that Bob Pottinger, one of the brothers who own Al's Deli (their father's namesake) on Noyes, passed away a couple of weeks ago, leaving the future of the shop in question, as he was the main cook/chef while his brother John ran the business side of things.

I was not an undergrad at NU as I know many here were, but I was turned on to Al's about 10 years ago, when my boss at the time brought some frosted butter cookies from the Deli to me, which are and remain some of the best cookies I've ever eaten in my life. I only really make it to Evanston for home games, but it is a known request amongst my Evanston friends and those finding a reason to be up there to get me cookies from Al's when they can. I've generally tried to stop in before or after a game to pick some up, and just hadn't made it yet this season until today. Sadly, I found a handwritten note on the door from John announcing Bob's death and at least the temporary shuttering of the shop.

I've only known Bob and John as the innocuous old guys who work at the store, but it's clear they've been fixtures in the community and have cared for and employed many NU students over the years.

For anyone who knew Bob or might be a concerned customer/party, it seems their Facebook page has been a place for people to leave notes for his brother and family to see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT