ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Amonte Hiller and Lacrosse

When NU made their run to the top, they changed the game and that gave them a big advantage. Now it is time for another adjustment by NU
Fine. Then let's make the adjustment.

Still, it should be FAR EASIER to make an adjustment to jump from #13 to #1, than from NON-EXISTENCE to #1 (which they did not that long ago).

The thing is: NU women's lacrosse used to be like UConn women's hoops or Alabama football or UCLA under Wooden in the 60s.

#13 was cause for a total "WTF" meltdown! Just making the Final Four would be - and was- considered a failure.

They were totally, completely dominant. Didn't lose. Always won the title. 5 national titles in a row. 106-3 record over that time.

You just don't get it. You're saying it's too soon to say it's over? It's over! It'll never be like that again - for anybody.

I complete agree that saying we are top 13 misses the point. If anyone spent a few minutes watching the NU Maryland games last year, we were outclassed in every facet of the game. The game has evolved, and the other programs have more competitive depth accross the board so that having one amazing player no longer provides for a Title. The days of MJ in basketball are gone, in large part because of how games are now called, and how teams have built rosters to compete.

Being in the collegiate top 15 is like saying we made the NBA playoffs, but if you ask any of those teams not named Golden State or Cleveland, they know they are outclassed on the floor....

My daughter went to St. Stephen's in Alexandria ,VA arguably the most dominant HS program in the country. It was only a few years ago that eye protection became mandatory.

I believe men's gloves should be used but helmets are probably not necessary as long as mouth pieces are worn. I am not sure how fast a women's stick will allow a ball to be shot but I think bruises could occur but facial bone or orbital fractures are unlikely.

Men must wear helmets because of the extraordinary velocity that can be generated with men's sticks. In the 2006 NCAA championship game my son's shots were routinely recorded on ESPN at 95mph in a competitive situation. He could generate shots over 100mph right handed and over 95mph left handed in shooting contests. Paul Rabil can top 110mph in shooting contests. Shots at that speed can be lethal . My son lost a close friend in an on the field injury when he was struck in the chest while playing for Cornell

I simply find the women's game to be unwatchable because it is confusing and the lack of contact boring.
I do not believe the women's game lacks skill because catching a lacrosse ball in a women's stick is equivalent to catching a ball in a frying pan

I may be biased since all my experience was through my son's HS, college and professional career. High paced offensive lacrosse, as played by UVA and Syracuse was a thing of beauty. The controlled style of lacrosse ,developed by Bill Tierney unfortunately, slowed the game down a lot .

Doc - you obviously know your stuff, and i agree with most.. Having said that, the girls stick can still generate plenty of velocity and you don't want to be hit in the face.

I complete agree that saying we are top 13 misses the point. If anyone spent a few minutes watching the NU Maryland games last year, we were outclassed in every facet of the game. The game has evolved, and the other programs have more competitive depth accross the board so that having one amazing player no longer provides for a Title. The days of MJ in basketball are gone, in large part because of how games are now called, and how teams have built rosters to compete.

Being in the collegiate top 15 is like saying we made the NBA playoffs, but if you ask any of those teams not named Golden State or Cleveland, they know they are outclassed on the floor....
And the teams that are often at the top now are the ones that were at the top before NU made its move. They often have a lot of assets and infrastructure to work with. Still for example a much bigger game on East coast so they have a lot of talent to draw from more easily. More players to draw from for coaches and assistants, etc. NU sort of snuck up on them but they cannot do that now. It took a few years but the powers have adjusted. Now NU needs to make a new set of adjustments. Sort of like a hitter coming in to the league. First they tear it up and then the opposition finds out that they cannot hit a curve ball. Then the kid gets a steady diet of curve balls until they get so they can hit it. Then a new set of adjustments.

And the teams that are often at the top now are the ones that were at the top before NU made its move. They often have a lot of assets and infrastructure to work with. Still for example a much bigger game on East coast so they have a lot of talent to draw from more easily. More players to draw from for coaches and assistants, etc. NU sort of snuck up on them but they cannot do that now. It took a few years but the powers have adjusted. Now NU needs to make a new set of adjustments. Sort of like a hitter coming in to the league. First they tear it up and then the opposition finds out that they cannot hit a curve ball. Then the kid gets a steady diet of curve balls until they get so they can hit it. Then a new set of adjustments.

Agreed. Its like Fitz having to recruit only in Pennsylvania and Florida and Southern California. NU who?!? These girls grow up watching maryland, syracuse, NC and other east coast programs dominate.

I would be truly sad if we weren't competitive with ND, Florida, USC, Stanford and other out of region newcomers. I think we are very competitive with those programs. NC, Maryland, not so much - but neither are most programs in the country.

And it is still truly a joy to watch Maryland play. Those girls bring it and play as a team amazingly well... Not surprising for THE program considered to be the UCLA/Wooden type dominant dynasty in womens LAX.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT