ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball offseason and free agents 2019-2020 edition

$16mil per for an .800 career OPS guy who is probably worth +2.5 WAR a season? That seems like a good deal for the Reds. Thoughts?

I think he's going to be a lot closer offensively to the player he was with the Cubs than the Tigers. He was in prison on Detroit, I think he's going to be a stud in Cincinnati

They got Souza! HUGE!
Talk about hoping for Lightning in a Bottle? I guess he could be a bat of the bench or the Right handed platoon portion on RF. JayHey struggles against lefties. Babe is doing a little better against lefties. Good luck with that Defense when JayHey or Almora isn’t in there. Not sure you can play Almora full time with his offense.

Talk about hoping for Lightning in a Bottle? I guess he could be a bat of the bench or the Right handed platoon portion on RF. JayHey struggles against lefties. Babe is doing a little better against lefties. Good luck with that Defense when JayHey or Almora isn’t in there. Not sure you can play Almora full time with his offense.
have the sox won the World series yet????? Hee, hee, 4th place here they come!

$16mil per for an .800 career OPS guy who is probably worth +2.5 WAR a season? That seems like a good deal for the Reds. Thoughts?

This is a complicated one. Castellanos gives back most of his value on offense with his butcher’s cleaver of a glove on defense. BUT, Cincinnati is a great hitters’ park where defensive range is at less of a premium than it was in Detroit. AND reports today are that the NL may adopt a DH as early as 2021, which would improve the deal from Cincinnati’s perspective immensely.

HOWEVER, Cincinnati has a total logjam now. Votto is under contract through 2024. Suarez is a stud. They just signed Moustakas for multiple years and are taking the hit on defense by playing him at 2B to get him in the lineup. That moves Nick Senzel, whom they had previously refused to include in a deal for Francisco Lindor out to CF. That, then, moves Jesse Winker, another stud prospect, to a corner OF spot...where 2019 lightning bolt Arisitides Aquino plays. And now where Castellanos plays. AND they signed Japanese OF Shogo Akiyama this offseason for meaningful bucks, so he needs somewhere to play.

The DH wrinkle provides some sense to this signing, in that you figure some guys will get hurt this year or underperform, and now they’ve got some real depth. Or, on the alternative, they shoot for the moon and package Senzel plus one of Aquino or Winker with an arm or two for Lindor, which makes a ton of sense for them now that they’re starting Freddy Galvis at short, and have literally all of these other pieces under a long term contract...

EXCEPT that Castellanos has an opt-out after year 1, which means he’s gone if he goes all JD Martinez this year and suddenly has a market of 30 teams who can use a DH instead of 15.

What fascinating tales we weave. I’d bet they’re gonna aim for Lindor now, but otherwise I’m mildly bearish on the fact that they’ve taken on all the risk here for a guy who can’t field a lick. Since they’ve locked into the corner infield positions, they have to play Castellanos in the OF, and if he falls back to a .775 OPS hitter with awful defense, they’ll be locked into him for three more seasons. But if they can now swing for Lindor, Castellanos rakes, and they pick up a DH slot in a year to drop him or Votto into, then it’s a home run. Definitely the most interesting contract this offseason in the long run.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
isn't their a sox site where you a few others can carry on your b.s.?

There* and it's not BS, the Cubs signed Steven Souza and no longer employ Nick Castellanos

Oh, and we've discussed just about every team on here at this juncture, hence the thread title.

For those with a grasp of the English language beyond the 4th grade level, a really good move was just made for Arizona:

They're going to be for real (Landed Starling Marte)

There* and it's not BS, the Cubs signed Steven Souza and no longer employ Nick Castellanos

Oh, and we've discussed just about every team on here at this juncture, hence the thread title.

For those with a grasp of the English language beyond the 4th grade level, a really good move was just made for Arizona:

They're going to be for real (Landed Starling Marte)
Let him be, he still thinks Quintana for Eloy and Cease was a good deal for the Cubs. I can’t take him seriously.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and Fitz51
Let him be, he still thinks Quintana for Eloy and Cease was a good deal for the Cubs. I can’t take him seriously.

I'll continue to point out how dumb he looks, thanks!

Reds look like they could be really good this year. The NLC is going to be a huge dog fight this entire summer

let me know when Cease wins as many games as Quintana. Also have they found a position for Jimenez , other than DH?

Yeah, they found that he'll work in left field. Wouldn't be surprised if we'll be letting you know later this year.

let me know when Cease wins as many games as Quintana. Also have they found a position for Jimenez , other than DH?
Booooooooooooooooooo.

Willlllllll-yyyyyyyyyy. Willllllll-yyyyyyyyy. Willll-yyyyyy.

Even your mom would say that was a terrible response.

(Cubs fan since 1984, FYI.)

Booooooooooooooooooo.

Willlllllll-yyyyyyyyyy. Willllllll-yyyyyyyyy. Willll-yyyyyy.

Even your mom would say that was a terrible response.

(Cubs fan since 1984, FYI.)
really? Just how many major league games has Cease won???

This is a complicated one. Castellanos gives back most of his value on offense with his butcher’s cleaver of a glove on defense. BUT, Cincinnati is a great hitters’ park where defensive range is at less of a premium than it was in Detroit. AND reports today are that the NL may adopt a DH as early as 2021, which would improve the deal from Cincinnati’s perspective immensely.

HOWEVER, Cincinnati has a total logjam now. Votto is under contract through 2024. Suarez is a stud. They just signed Moustakas for multiple years and are taking the hit on defense by playing him at 2B to get him in the lineup. That moves Nick Senzel, whom they had previously refused to include in a deal for Francisco Lindor out to CF. That, then, moves Jesse Winker, another stud prospect, to a corner OF spot...where 2019 lightning bolt Arisitides Aquino plays. And now where Castellanos plays. AND they signed Japanese OF Shogo Akiyama this offseason for meaningful bucks, so he needs somewhere to play.

The DH wrinkle provides some sense to this signing, in that you figure some guys will get hurt this year or underperform, and now they’ve got some real depth. Or, on the alternative, they shoot for the moon and package Senzel plus one of Aquino or Winker with an arm or two for Lindor, which makes a ton of sense for them now that they’re starting Freddy Galvis at short, and have literally all of these other pieces under a long term contract...

EXCEPT that Castellanos has an opt-out after year 1, which means he’s gone if he goes all JD Martinez this year and suddenly has a market of 30 teams who can use a DH instead of 15.

What fascinating tales we weave. I’d bet they’re gonna aim for Lindor now, but otherwise I’m mildly bearish on the fact that they’ve taken on all the risk here for a guy who can’t field a lick. Since they’ve locked into the corner infield positions, they have to play Castellanos in the OF, and if he falls back to a .775 OPS hitter with awful defense, they’ll be locked into him for three more seasons. But if they can now swing for Lindor, Castellanos rakes, and they pick up a DH slot in a year to drop him or Votto into, then it’s a home run. Definitely the most interesting contract this offseason in the long run.
The speculation among Reds' fans is that either a trade is brewing that involves Senzel and/or Winker. Or, the injury that Senzel suffered to his shoulder last season isn't healing the way they had hoped. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how the logjam in the OF plays out. And, it provides some hope for a city that has had very little the past 7 years. This team is not an automatic World Series contender, but they will be damn interesting.... and we haven't said that in Cincy in a while.

The speculation among Reds' fans is that either a trade is brewing that involves Senzel and/or Winker. Or, the injury that Senzel suffered to his shoulder last season isn't healing the way they had hoped. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how the logjam in the OF plays out. And, it provides some hope for a city that has had very little the past 7 years. This team is not an automatic World Series contender, but they will be damn interesting.... and we haven't said that in Cincy in a while.

Winker hasn't quite taken off yet. He was supposed to RAKE at the MLB level. He'd be a really nice buy low candidate.

Reactions: Fitz51
Don't hold your breath. There is a good possibility he is dealt. MLB needs to resolve his grievance over service time. Once that is cleared up, I think he may get dealt.
Even if he stays this year, he is likely gone as soon as he becomes a FA. Theo’s bad FA signings ruined this team. Ricketts can’t pay KB, give me a break. He just started up his own TV network for the Cubs. Guess who is going to pay more to watch his beloved Cubs Willy? Cubs had the best farm system in the Bigs about 5 years ago. Torres, Eloy and Cease are either already studs or will be and all Theo has left for them is Quintana. A middle of the rotation 500 pitcher. JaHey, Darvish, Chatwood, all way over paid. Kimbrel move backfired and Morrow is always on the shelf.

Cubs remind me on 85 Bears. A team that should have dominated for more than one year and leaves us thinking of what could have been. At least Willy got to see one championship in his lifetime.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Even if he stays this year, he is likely gone as soon as he becomes a FA. Theo’s bad FA signings ruined this team. Ricketts can’t pay KB, give me a break. He just started up his own TV network for the Cubs. Guess who is going to pay more to watch his beloved Cubs Willy? Cubs had the best farm system in the Bigs about 5 years ago. Torres, Eloy and Cease are either already studs or will be and all Theo has left for them is Quintana. A middle of the rotation 500 pitcher. JaHey, Darvish, Chatwood, all way over paid. Kimbrel move backfired and Morrow is always on the shelf.

Cubs remind me on 85 Bears. A team that should have dominated for more than one year and leaves us thinking of what could have been. At least Willy got to see one championship in his lifetime.
I don't blame Theo for going for it during this window. JQ was a 4-5 fWAR pitcher with the Sox, but he's fallen off that pace since. His projection for 2020 is only 2.5 WAR. But at $10.5M in salary, he's still a good value.

But you are right. I think the FA signings have caused as much damage as the trades. $167 million committed to JayHey and Yu over the next 4 years. $32 million to Kimbrel. With Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, and Contreras all approaching FA, someone is going to get dealt. At least Hendricks is signed on a good deal.

Just maybe save those tears for when the sox finish in 4th place.

They'll be tears of laughter when the Cubs finish in 4th. Cards, Brewers, and Reds all suddenly look better positioned to succeed than Team Theo. But, at least you'll have the attendance trophy!

Reactions: IGNORE2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT