ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball offseason and free agents 2019-2020 edition

It’s too much money. He won’t be able to support that value down the back half via performance on the front half, even though I’m sure he’ll be plenty good years 1-3. Makings of an albatross in years 4-7.

Whoever pays this contract:

is high off their ass

Whoever pays this contract:

is high off their ass

At least he’s a couple years younger and doesn’t have the same injury history, but yeah, I’d never go 9 on a pitcher at FA. If you can buy out 3 arby years and 6 of FA on a 25-year-old who came up at 21 or something, sure. It likely has the added benefit of NOT PAYING SOMEONE $330 MILLION DOLLARS.

White Sox acquire RF Nomar Mazara from Texas for minor league prospect Steele Walker. Good name for Texas if nothing else.

I'm going to wait and see before I react to this trade. Maybe they found a diamond in the rough, maybe they just blew it. Time will tell.

White Sox acquire RF Nomar Mazara from Texas for minor league prospect Steele Walker. Good name for Texas if nothing else.

I'm going to wait and see before I react to this trade. Maybe they found a diamond in the rough, maybe they just blew it. Time will tell.
Low risk filler. Needed a LH bat and Rutherford, Basabe, and Adolpho aren’t ready to take over RF. Will need a defensive OF to go along with Robert in CF. Walker was blocked by Robert. Need to grab pitchers period. Having money to spend doesn’t mean you should waste it, but need one of Keuchel, Hru, or MadBaum. See the trick bag the North side is in with with Chatwood, JayHey, Yu, Morrow and Kimbrel disaster contracts. Now KB and/or Willy are on the block. Can’t get in same situation in 5 years.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Low risk filler. Needed a LH bat and Rutherford, Basabe, and Adolpho aren’t ready to take over RF. Will need a defensive OF to go along with Robert in CF. Walker was blocked by Robert. Need to grab pitchers period. Having money to spend doesn’t mean you should waste it, but need one of Keuchel, Hru, or MadBaum. See the trick bag the North side is in with with Chatwood, JayHey, Yu, Morrow and Kimbrel disaster contracts. Now KB and/or Willy are on the block. Can’t get in same situation in 5 years.

How about a Collins / Marte swap? That seemed to be the buzz yesterday.

Don't worry you won't. Again when did the Sox last have a wining season? They would love to have Chatwood in their pen and Heyward in their OF. Darvish now one of the best pitchers in the majors and both Morrow and Kimbrel had injuries. You win some and lose some and Cubs have certainly won a lot more then that taxpayer funded team.

You win some and lose some and Cubs have certainly won a lot more then that taxpayer funded team.

You know what just occurred to me about this trolling? If my taxes are going or once went toward the Sox - something I love - wouldn't I be *happy* about that? Yes! I would! *So* many people say they wish they could direct where their taxes go, and some of mine might have gone toward my favorite baseball team!

I never thought of this taxpayer stuff as a good thing, but now I do.

You know what just occurred to me about this trolling? If my taxes are going or once went toward the Sox - something I love - wouldn't I be *happy* about that? Yes! I would! *So* many people say they wish they could direct where their taxes go, and some of mine might have gone toward my favorite baseball team!

I never thought of this taxpayer stuff as a good thing, but now I do.
Yet by looking at all of the empty seats at "taxpayers ballpark" there are a lot people who don't think it's is a good thing.

,800 career OPS vs. righties (.844 in 2019). Not very good defensively as I guess he does not move well, though he has a cannon arm. LeuryG Garcia's splits vs. lefties are decent (.786 OPS in 2019) so you probably have a workable platoon now.

Yet by looking at all of the empty seats at "taxpayers ballpark" there are a lot people who don't think it's is a good thing.
Ah the ole attendance retort. Since Willy has an obsession with attendance, it amazes me he is a Cats fan. Oh wait, he gave up his tickets, right? Time to get those Nebby, Tickets Willy. You can bask in the sea of Red since not much else is happening there.

Reactions: Fitz51 and IGNORE2
Don't worry you won't. Again when did the Sox last have a wining season? They would love to have Chatwood in their pen and Heyward in their OF. Darvish now one of the best pitchers in the majors and both Morrow and Kimbrel had injuries. You win some and lose some and Cubs have certainly won a lot more then that taxpayer funded team.
Remind me again who the Cubs have picked up this Winter?

The cubs are looking to deal Bryant/Contreras and just pissed off the king of their clubhouse you moron, yet Ricketts (who wanted govt subsidies to pay for Wrigley renovations) is crying poor and not allowing Crane Kenney or Theo to spend on ANYTHING. You don't know a single thing about baseball

The cubs are looking to deal Bryant/Contreras and just pissed off the king of their clubhouse you moron, yet Ricketts (who wanted govt subsidies to pay for Wrigley renovations) is crying poor and not allowing Crane Kenney or Theo to spend on ANYTHING. You don't know a single thing about baseball
I’m surprised they don’t want to extend Rizzo, he seems like a guy that’s pretty much a no brainer to build around. And I think he’d probably be someone you can get in the 5/100 ish range, after seeing Goldys deal.

I’m surprised they don’t want to extend Rizzo, he seems like a guy that’s pretty much a no brainer to build around. And I think he’d probably be someone you can get in the 5/100 ish range, after seeing Goldys deal.

5/100 is the exact number my brain says, or 6/120. Nonetheless, willycat STINKS

Reactions: Akeehn0912

No, but he knows how to get you riled up!

At least he’s a couple years younger and doesn’t have the same injury history, but yeah, I’d never go 9 on a pitcher at FA. If you can buy out 3 arby years and 6 of FA on a 25-year-old who came up at 21 or something, sure. It likely has the added benefit of NOT PAYING SOMEONE $330 MILLION DOLLARS.
I cannot imagine anyone buying out 3 arb years on a young pitcher, no matter how good he is.

Except no taxpayer dollars went into the re-do of Wrigley or any of the other projects outside the park. Taxpayers paid a huge chunk to build the "new Comiskey", ah what a unique name and also funded the remodeling and the new sports bar in the park. No comparison.

Taxpayers paid a huge chunk to build the "new Comiskey", ah what a unique name and also funded the remodeling and the new sports bar in the park. No comparison.

Excellent! And I have been one of the few to enjoy all the above frequently since then. I have gotten every penny back and then some in entertainment value.

5/100 is the exact number my brain says, or 6/120. Nonetheless, willycat STINKS
Wouldn’t go a sixth year personally but yes this isn’t a great look. Teams driving me insane, I can’t grasp why casual Cub fans are cool with just trading KB. That would suck.

Excellent! And I have been one of the few to enjoy all the above frequently since then. I have gotten every penny back and then some in entertainment value.
Then you should pay for that entertainment not Illinois taxpayers. Guess when that money finally dries up, Reinsdorf will move the Sux to Vegas or Nebraska.

I cannot imagine anyone buying out 3 arb years on a young pitcher, no matter how good he is.

Not in 9-year deals, anything close to which is rare, but Blake Snell recently did it. I believe Carlos Martinez, Scott Kazmir, Ervin Santana and Johnny Cueto all also had extensions that bought out 3 years of arby. Gio Gonzalez and Jaime Garcia were super-2s when they got extensions, so that’s essentially the same.

The way most of those deals went is probably a good argument not to do it, but it happens. Pirates probably wish they did it with Cole when they had the chance.

Then you should pay for that entertainment not Illinois taxpayers. Guess when that money finally dries up, Reinsdorf will move the Sux to Vegas or Nebraska.

I am an Illinois taxpayer, and am happy to pay! While MLB won't be putting a team in Nebraska anytime soon, I wouldn't cry over a move to Vegas. I *love* Vegas.

Except no taxpayer dollars went into the re-do of Wrigley or any of the other projects outside the park. Taxpayers paid a huge chunk to build the "new Comiskey", ah what a unique name and also funded the remodeling and the new sports bar in the park. No comparison.

Which is great! My tax money finally did something I like and can enjoy.

Maybe, but we will be happy to have enjoyed your tax dollars too. Even more so since I live in NWI. Let me be the first to thank you @willycat for your contribution to my favorite team. I look forward to your future contributions too!

Thought the Sox were getting him along with Ross.

Who said that? Maybe we will pick up Bryant for some low level minor league player as the Cubs shred salary, cuz ya know, they didn’t get taxpayer money and can’t afford it all. Besides, the playoffs have been a fairy tale during their ‘window.’

Trout/Ohtani/Rendon is worth staying up late for. Imagine if Adell pulls a Acuna/Soto/Alonso...

I think Adell has way too much swing and miss t pull an Acuna/Soto/Alonso but he's going to be a freak sooner than later regardless

no idea what AZ is doing. They're in baseball purgatory.

Also, Tribe should have held on to Kluber until the deadline IMO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT