ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball offseason and free agents 2019-2020 edition

There are actually 26 roster spots this year.

Ah. I thought I had heard something about an expanded roster, but couldn't find any evidence of it in a very cursory search. I wonder if the three-batter rule will result in teams tending towards one fewer reliever. Sox need to figure out how to get some value out of Collins. And they need to stumble upon a bullpen arm that surprises.

I've got a feeling that Kopech starts the season in AAA.

Who do you think is the 5th starter? Cease? Kopech is ready physically by all accounts, so I'd be surprised if Cease started up instead of him.

Looking at the Sox roster, I'm curious as to who the 24th/25th man will be this year. Will it be an extra reliever or another bench bat? I'm assuming:

Grandal
Abreu
Madrigal
Anderson
Moncada
Jimenez
Roberts
Mazara
Encarnacion
Garcia
Engel
McCann

Giolito
Keuchel
Kopech
Gonzalez
Lopez

Herrera
Cishek
Colome
Bummer
Marshall
Cordero

Suspect that Cease and Rodon end up in and out of the rotation as needed. I'm guessing one more reliever, but who? Do the Sox keep Zack Collins up or does Danny Mendick stick? The flexibility of Leury Garcia helps a ton and they've invested enough in McCann to use him in a variety of ways. Does that leave a role for Collins? Just keeping fingers crossed that Donaldson doesn't end up in Minnesota.

This is how I'd go with the rotation come July once Rodon is back, though I doubt it's how it'll en up going:

1. Gio
2. Keuchel
3. Kopech
4. Cease
5. Gonzo/Lopez

Rodon as an Andrew Miller like swing man.

As for Collins, I think he's the odd man out. Wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt for another relief arm. Mendick will start at 2B until Madrigal is called up, keeping Leury as utility guy.

This is how I'd go with the rotation come July once Rodon is back, though I doubt it's how it'll en up going:

1. Gio
2. Keuchel
3. Kopech
4. Cease
5. Gonzo/Lopez

Rodon as an Andrew Miller like swing man.

As for Collins, I think he's the odd man out. Wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt for another relief arm. Mendick will start at 2B until Madrigal is called up, keeping Leury as utility guy.

That seems like what makes sense (re: Collins and Mendick starting the season at 2B). 3rd catchers are a luxury, although the 26th spot makes it possible for him to hang around and it sounds like they are trying to hold off on Madrigal's clock starting. I love the idea of Rodon as a swing man if he is actually healthy by mid-season. Sounds like you are high on Cease.

The Cardinals parlayed their 5th and 6th OFs into a top LHP starter prospect, Matt Liberatore. That said, Devil Ray Magic will turn Jose Martinez and Randy Arozarena into 4 WAR players.

Really hope the Cards flip Liberatore to Colorado for Arenado.

Sidenote: I saw Liberatore pitch in AZ his draft year and he was the best HS pitcher I've ever seen. 6'5", 93-95 and had command of 3 pitches. Really repeatable mechanics too. Kid's going to be a stud

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Today was judgement day. Astros got HAMMERED:

I will never forgive myself for not breaking this story back in march... ya live, ya learn though

Yikes. I'm a big Astros fan, but you gotta play by the rules.

I'll point out again that Luhnow has a MBA from NU. Another Kellogg alum breaking the rules. They need to do a better job of teaching ethics.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
Lunhow and Hinch canned. This is without question the wildest story of my lifetime as far as MLB is concerned, just SO crazy

If they're out, Cora definitely is too. He may as well resign now and see if that catches him any mercy from Manfred. There's zero chance - zero - that Chaim Bloom is going to stake his job on Cora. Bloom might want back in Tampa now, given that he's gonna lose at least 4 high picks and a bunch of cash now.

Cora may be looking at lifetime banishment. I don't think it's hyperbole at this point to say so.

I will 100% watch the first Astros game in the Bronx. They will be serenaded with 55K chanting unparliamentary aspersions—e.g. “Give the darn rings back! Give the darn rings back” and “Astros are like vacuum cleaners!, Astros are like vacuum cleaners!” Or something along these line...

That's not really the issue. Nor is it a trade you can make.
It’s basically the trade he made, assuming MLB doesn’t strip the title, right?

Actually, even if they take the title, ownership keeps the merchandise sales, and the tv deal, and the season tickets sold, and the stadium ad revenue, and the ...

Conclusion: Cheating pays, literally.

It’s basically the trade he made, assuming MLB doesn’t strip the title, right?

Actually, even if they take the title, ownership keeps the merchandise sales, and the tv deal, and the season tickets sold, and the stadium ad revenue, and the ...

Conclusion: Cheating pays, literally.
I stopped by the grocery store this evening on the way home from work, and I counted three people wearing Astros championship t-shirts and a couple others wearing hats. Like they're giving MLB and the world the big middle finger.

As for me, I'm embarrassed. Hinch and Luhnow are very smart guys. They should have known better.

Reactions: NUCat320
Todd Frazier to the Rangers seems to increase the odds of the Cards dealing for Arenado,

I LOVE Arenado but as long as Josh Donaldson is out there, I’d rather just give him the cash than take on what will be a lot more money in Arenado and give up the prospect haul alongside.

Third basemen tend to age pretty well, and though Arenado’s glove travels, he does have Coors splits.

There’s no good money to sink into pitching right now, at least not on the free agency market. There’s been some chatter between Miami and Minnesota on a pitching for bats deal - Rosario and Cave were the names mentioned in exchange for Smith, Urena or Lopez. But that seems less likely now that Miami signed Dickerson.

Anyway, if the Twins sense a chance to upgrade, why not take it? If you can’t strengthen a weakness, strengthen a strength. It’s still strength. Their window is wide open right now. Landing Donaldson would allow them to move Sano over to 1B, where he’s better off. That allows them to move Martin Gonzalez to 2B or back to his Houston super-utility role. And Donaldson is excellent defensively, so that’s a net win in itself.

5-7 WAR players don’t grow on trees, and other than an injured free agent walk year, that’s basically what Donaldson has been for the last half-decade on both sides of the ball at a challenging position. Great player, and good-glove, athletic, power-hitting 3B have aged well in the past. Look at Adrian Beltre. Something like 3/$70 would be ideal, but stretching to 4/$90 isn’t bad. If he regresses to a 3-WAR player by years 3-4, you still win on the market math, and you have the best chance to win big when Cleveland is down and Chicago’s not yet reached its peak.

This aged well.

Reactions: Fitz51
Yeah... not ideal. Pitching still kinda stinks but their lineup is terrifying

It’s a great move for them. Improves their defense a ton by moving Sano off third and over to first, plus adding a killer bat. 4/$92 is cheap for the production he’s posted. Not so far over my 4/$90 prediction!

Marcell Ozuna to the Braves, presumably supplanting the Markakis/Duvall platoon and joining Inciarte and Ozuna in the outfield.

With Camargo and Riley as the apparent 3B options, maybe Freeman finds his way across the diamond again, just for fun. (He won’t, but it’d be fun.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT