ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big weekend for WLAX

Went to the game. No fans other than family so stood along the fence. Some interesting perspective from there vs sitting in the stands. Skane and Gilbert - and everyone else - are very impressive. So nice to beat MD like that.
Monday’s game is on BTen network at noon.

When NU disbanded women's lacrosse, their coach moved onto Maryland and raised their program to prominence. Cindy Timchal, then became the first coach of women's lacrosse at the USNA in Annapolis. I believe she has been inducted into the Lacrosse Hall of Fame

i saw a pretty good spy thriller " 6 Minutes to Midnight" last night about German girls being educated at an English(Welsh) Finishing School just before WWII. Briefly in a scene of the girls exercising, 2 girls were playing catch with lacrosse sticks. Lacrosse is commonly associated with the Iroquois Nation but that is men's lacrosse. The ladies game was developed in post Victorian England, hence the lack of contact, to comply with the standards of the time

Last edited:
WLax blows out Maryland again. Wins 20-10!

Undefeated on season.
With two seconds to go in the first half, we scored an unbelievable goal, you have to see the video of the lady shooting Like over her shoulder backwards, to tie the scores at half time. Then I believe that we started the second half by scoring eleven straight.goodbye Maryland

My favorite play of the game was actually about 40 seconds before the Coykendall goal...

In certain situations in lacrosse, when the ball goes out of bounds, posession is awarded to the nearest player. At about :45 left in the first half (Maryland had just scored to take a 7-6 lead), Maryland's speedy leading scorer, Leubecker was racing towards the sidelines to claim the draw control. The 'Cats Lindsey McKone — a step behind Leubecker — laid out completely horizontally to reach beyond Leubecker, getting the very tip of her stick closest to the ball as she crashed into the turf and the ball bounced out of bounds. McKone got up, untangling herself from Leubecker, took off down the field and eventually assisted on Coykendall's last-second circus shot, which started an 11-0 run which put Maryland away.

Go 'Cats!

So many weapons, so little time. And Izzy was face guarded most of the game, and she still managed to score 5 goals. Lauren Gilbert is the fastest player out there, and is virtually unstoppable on free position shots. Oh, and we get a grad transfer this year, Sammy Mueller, who was an All-American while at UVA. I could go on.

This team is fun to watch. Let's keep it going. Next game: Thursday April 8 v. WishAgain at 6 p.m. on BTN.

Very unusual stats here. Big 10 is only playing intra-conference. Of the 7 teams only NU has more goals for than against. Pretty crazy how explosive the NU offense is. (and our defense is the best in goals allowed / game as well)

Hard to know how we'll stack up against the ACC teams with limited schedules and no non-conference (and main B10 competition MD seems to have taken a step back this year). But NU does look very, very good.

This team is reminiscent of the 7-of-8-years championship teams. They don't just win, the completely destroy their competition.

It does feel like the "Evil Empire" is back. Izzy has three more years of eligibility (if 2020 doesn't count - not sure what the rules are for WLAX), so this could be the beginnings of another dynastical run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT