ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Brian Ferentz's contract restructured

That's one way of looking at it.

The other way:

With these relatively low bars for performance, if met, he will also get a lump sum bonus of over $100K, putting him AHEAD of his previous contract.

If I'm Brian Ferentz I couldn't sign that amended deal fast enough, and then take Gary Barta and my dad out for cheeseburgers.

What it must be like to be a millionaire in the State of Iowa...

Reactions: CatManTrue
That's one way of looking at it.

The other way:

With these relatively low bars for performance, if met, he will also get a lump sum bonus of over $100K, putting him AHEAD of his previous contract.

If I'm Brian Ferentz I couldn't sign that amended deal fast enough, and then take Gary Barta and my dad out for cheeseburgers.

What it must be like to be a millionaire in the State of Iowa...
Imagine how many pork loins that would buy at Menards.

Utah State, Iowa State, and Western Michigan in non-conference. Penn State, Michigan State and Rutgers from the East.

The contract requires Iowa to score 300 points (and I presume Brian gets credit for defensive touchdowns or short field possessions)

Iowa will have played 8 games by November. They finish with Northwestern, Rutgers, Illinois and Nebraska.

Can’t wait to enjoy the angst (“sportsmanship!”) from opponents over Iowa going for the extra score late in the 4th quarter (despite already winning by several TDs) and playing starters long past the opposition subbing in bench players, all in the name of “business metrics”

Utah State, Iowa State, and Western Michigan in non-conference. Penn State, Michigan State and Rutgers from the East.

The contract requires Iowa to score 300 points (and I presume Brian gets credit for defensive touchdowns or short field possessions)

Iowa will have played 8 games by November. They finish with Northwestern, Rutgers, Illinois and Nebraska.

Can’t wait to enjoy the angst (“sportsmanship!”) from opponents over Iowa going for the extra score late in the 4th quarter (despite already winning by several TDs) and playing starters long past the opposition subbing in bench players, all in the name of “business metrics”
Great point. Like most incentives, this one is going to lead to some unintended consequences.

Reactions: CatManTrue

What happens when they need to score 100 in their final game? (I can’t see Iowa getting close to it.)

Well, if we weren't going to fire Bajakian, we should have given him a contract like this one.

Well, if we weren't going to fire Bajakian, we should have given him a contract like this one.
No because this is a nepotism contract; when you actually look at the details of this thing, the bar is low enough for them, and it turns into a much more solid contract if he clears those bars.

@Sheffielder has the correct take.

This initially looks like a "tough" contract at a cursory glance but then you look closer and do a double take.

Only reason he kept his job there was because his last name is Ferentz; he was in the same position as JON and should have been dismissed.

Bajakian is in a "prove it year" this year. Fitz knows it; he knows it; Gragg knows it; we all know it. There's no reason to change his contract.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT