ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bulls

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
i thought the 7 game streak was mostly them getting some jollies at the expense of some really bad teams, but there is clear progress with this group and some talent to build around. Dunn and Markkanen look like very good players. Valentine, Portis, and Nwaba look like good depth players. Niko is turning himself into somebody other teams might want. Lopez has value too.

They have a ways to go, but it’s not nearly as ugly as I thought it would be.

Reactions: ricko654321
Yep, and just in time to play their way out of a franchise-type draft pick. Projections are that there are 5-6 difference-makers in this draft, then a pretty big dropoff. AAAAARGH. :rolleyes:

i thought the 7 game streak was mostly them getting some jollies at the expense of some really bad teams, but there is clear progress with this group and some talent to build around. Dunn and Markkanen look like very good players. Valentine, Portis, and Nwaba look like good depth players. Niko is turning himself into somebody other teams might want. Lopez has value too.

They have a ways to go, but it’s not nearly as ugly as I thought it would be.

Have to agree. I have not been a believer in Hoiberg but have to give him credit. It's clear these kids are listening to him, playing unselfishly and they are getting results on the floor. I think Markannen, Levine, and Portis are clear building blocks for the future. Dunn is building confidence and his play is improving but he still makes some very poor decisions with the ball and his defensive effort is not always there. If they can turn Dunn into a building block and then add the very fun to watch Nwaba as a complimentary piece, then they have the makings of a good looking team. They have a difficult decision to make soon on Mirotic and Lopez. They are both players I've always liked but unlikely to fit into the Bulls timeline of rebuilding so it does make sense to convert them into a future asset (draft pick or young player) sooner rather than later. I love watching a young team learn how to win and compete every night but at the same time its pretty critical they get a top 3-4 pick this year to add another difference making player to their young nucleus.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
It seems that to have any shot at winning a title you must have a transcendent player like LBJ, Curry, Kobe, etc. The Bulls are going to have to find that in the draft, so a high lottery pick is critical. Every game they win feels a bit Pyrrhic, and it would be very Bulls-like to be just good enough, or not bad enough, to miss out on a top pick.

It seems that to have any shot at winning a title you must have a transcendent player like LBJ, Curry, Kobe, etc. The Bulls are going to have to find that in the draft, so a high lottery pick is critical. Every game they win feels a bit Pyrrhic, and it would be very Bulls-like to be just good enough, or not bad enough, to miss out on a top pick.
Worse, I think that you actually need two: Kobe/Shaq, Jordan/Pippen, LBJ/Kyrie, Curry/Thompson, etc.

Worse, I think that you actually need two: Kobe/Shaq, Jordan/Pippen, LBJ/Kyrie, Curry/Thompson, etc.
This is probably true. Watch them win 30 games and JUUUUUST miss out on a franchise-type guy. Being a Chicago sports fan . . . well, it ain't for the faint of heart. :eek:

Do any season ticket holders remember when NU played Stanford and we saw one of the Lopez brothers in person at WRarena? Was that Brook or Robin? I don't remember? I just do recall how we would have beaten them that game if it weren't for Lopez blocking so many shots- especially one in particular by Juice Thompson! Only one of the bros played that game because the other one was injured. Could you imagine how kick-ass our team would be if we had those twins playing for us and a CC coached team?!! I can only dream of a day like this!

The Bulls should be losing as many games as possible to draft Trae Young...can’t even do that right. 30 wins and the 10 pick, just out of any difference maker range seems to be the destiny.

The Bulls should be losing as many games as possible to draft Trae Young...can’t even do that right. 30 wins and the 10 pick, just out of any difference maker range seems to be the destiny.
Right you are, 2011 (or at least seem to be). Not sure they'd draft Trae Young, though, even if they had the opportunity. Dunn seems to be emerging as a potential long-term answer at PG, and since they'll likely trade Lopez around the deadline, I would guess they'll have their eyes on a big man if one is available. A top SG is also a possibility, and truth be told, even if they DO backslide a bit, they won't fall far enough to land the Top 2 or 3 pick that'll likely be necessary to get him anyway.

Right you are, 2011 (or at least seem to be). Not sure they'd draft Trae Young, though, even if they had the opportunity. Dunn seems to be emerging as a potential long-term answer at PG, and since they'll likely trade Lopez around the deadline, I would guess they'll have their eyes on a big man if one is available. A top SG is also a possibility, and truth be told, even if they DO backslide a bit, they won't fall far enough to land the Top 2 or 3 pick that'll likely be necessary to get him anyway.
My man crush on Young is pretty extreme. If Dunn emerges, great...trade him for other pieces or higher pick. Any team that passes on Young will, IMO, greatly regret it. I don't think the Bulls will have a chance, but a man can dream of a Young/LaVine back court can't he?

Last edited:
Do any season ticket holders remember when NU played Stanford and we saw one of the Lopez brothers in person at WRarena? Was that Brook or Robin? I don't remember? I just do recall how we would have beaten them that game if it weren't for Lopez blocking so many shots- especially one in particular by Juice Thompson! Only one of the bros played that game because the other one was injured. Could you imagine how kick-ass our team would be if we had those twins playing for us and a CC coached team?!! I can only dream of a day like this!
I remember this game! It was Robin (fro). Brook (buzz) was out - can’t remember why.

I just remember expecting nothing that season, and then the ‘Cats were beating a ranked Stanford with like 10 minutes left, and soon after Juice had a game where he must’ve scored half our points beating DePaul.

My man crush on Young is pretty extreme. If Dunn emerges, great...trade him for other pieces or higher pick. Any team that passes on Young will, IMO, greatly regret it. I don't think the Bulls will have a chance, but a man can dream of a Young/LaVine back court can't he?
Hey, I'd love that too. What gnaws at me, though, is that the NBA never seems to factor in my opinion when they determine the Bulls' draft slot. If they did? Problem solved. :D

What type of player is LaVine?

A potential superstar. Incredible athlete with the ability to break you down and finish above the rim. What has surprised me is how much he has improved his ball handling and outside shooting since he has been in the NBA. If he is fully recovered from his injury and stays healthy, the guy is on his way to being a 20+ point a game scorer and one of the top off guards in the NBA.

A potential superstar. Incredible athlete with the ability to break you down and finish above the rim. What has surprised me is how much he has improved his ball handling and outside shooting since he has been in the NBA. If he is fully recovered from his injury and stays healthy, the guy is on his way to being a 20+ point a game scorer and one of the top off guards in the NBA.
So he should fit well with Dunn and Markkanen? Those three form the core of a pretty good team, it would seem. Need to add interior prescence to that and easily a playoff team.

Bulls did it again last night, pulling out a close victory after trailing all game against the Knickers.

I always pictured him as more of a 3, Corbi. Haven't followed him closely enough to say that with certainty, though.

So he should fit well with Dunn and Markkanen? Those three form the core of a pretty good team, it would seem. Need to add interior prescence to that and easily a playoff team.

I think he fits in well. You need a small forward and a post player to round out your starting five. Nwaba and Portis are nice rotation pieces that are already in place. If I am John Paxson, I convince Jahlil Okafor to come back home when he becomes an unrestricted FA after this season. I know as a traditional post player his style of play is not really in vogue in today’s NBA game but I am a big believer in this kid’s game having watched him play his entire career at Whitney Young HS. I still think he can be a 20 and 10 per game producer as an NBA starting center.

I always pictured him as more of a 3, Corbi. Haven't followed him closely enough to say that with certainty, though.

He is 6”4 ish. That is a little small to guard a 3 in the NBA. He did play the 3 a bit in Minnesota but that is because Mitchell Wiggins had a lock on the off guard position.

I think he fits in well. You need a small forward and a post player to round out your starting five. Nwaba and Portis are nice rotation pieces that are already in place. If I am John Paxson, I convince Jahlil Okafor to come back home when he becomes an unrestricted FA after this season. I know as a traditional post player his style of play is not really in vogue in today’s NBA game but I am a big believer in this kid’s game having watched him play his entire career at Whitney Young HS. I still think he can be a 20 and 10 per game producer as an NBA starting center.
Why has Ohkafor’s time dimished so much from his rookie season?

Because he can’t cover anyone!

The true low post Center in today’s NBA has become as common as a fullback in football. Okafor does struggle to guard these lean perimeter oriented players that masquerade as centers in today’s NBA but those guys can’t cover him on the other end of the floor. A good coach will be able to incorporate him into a game plan. These trends are also cyclical so I can envision a day when low post centers are back in style.

Last edited:
A good coach will be able to incorporate him into a game plan. These trends are also cyclical so I can envision a day when low post centers are back in style.

Agreed, Corbi. At some time or other, all things old become new again. It will perhaps be called "retro" but since Dr. Naismith, really good pivot play has led to success.

He gets traded in the next months for a first round pick. (praying)
All accounts I've read say that he'd only bring a low first round pick. Would that really be any better than Mirotic? Since coming back, he's been the Bulls' best player, or close to it, and he's just coming into his prime.

Last edited:
All accounts I've read is that he'd only bring a low first round pick. Would that really be any better than Mirotic? Since coming back, he's been the Bulls' best player, or close to it, and he's just coming into his prime.
Great question I've been pondering as well. But, keep in mind you are not just getting the low first rounder, you also continue the tank to get the ping pong balls.

All accounts I've read is that he'd only bring a low first round pick. Would that really be any better than Mirotic? Since coming back, he's been the Bulls' best player, or close to it, and he's just coming into his prime.

You mean someone like Jordan Bell? Oh wait, they SOLD him for cash. They lucked out on the Finn, but GarPax can’t be depended upon to build a team

The problem is, his athleticism is his game, so blowing out a knee could be devastating - totally different player, but see D-Rose. Hopefully he is 100% recovered, they are taking their time with him which is good.

It's much less about Mirotic and what he might bring in trade value than it is about one of the top 5 picks in this year's draft after a tank job would mean for the Bulls.

You mean someone like Jordan Bell? Oh wait, they SOLD him for cash. They lucked out on the Finn, but GarPax can’t be depended upon to build a team
Exactly my point. Guys as good as Bell aren't that easy to find late in the first round, and I don't trust GarPax to unearth one there. The case could be made that Mirotic > a GarPax pick in the 20's, no? Good point, though, Smol, about the ping pong balls for the Bulls' own first round pick.

I’ve always thought Mirotic was an under appreciated player. He had some really good stretches when Thibs utilized him properly. That being said, I do think he is more valuable to the Bulls as a trade chip. While I have had my share of frustration with Gar/Pax, their draft record is pretty good. They are the ones that drafted Mirotic, Butler, Taj Gibson, Bobby Portis and now markannen. If they can turn Lopez/Mirotic into another high first round pick and if Levine comes back healthy, then the Bulls have a shot at quickly putting together another nucleus capable of contending.

I agree with POTENTIAL star... I think he has improved his shooting enough to where he has upside to get there, but at this point my best guess is that he doesn't end up being a difference maker. Great athlete though. And the good news is that with the current Hoiball system and our personnel he will get plenty of chances to work out and develop his potential. I would guess more in the range of solid rotation player / role playing starter, but maybe he will work his way up to being a plus contributor / occasional all star. Hopefully the latter.

I agree with POTENTIAL star... I think he has improved his shooting enough to where he has upside to get there, but at this point my best guess is that he doesn't end up being a difference maker. Great athlete though. And the good news is that with the current Hoiball system and our personnel he will get plenty of chances to work out and develop his potential. I would guess more in the range of solid rotation player / role playing starter, but maybe he will work his way up to being a plus contributor / occasional all star. Hopefully the latter.

I think this is far too pessimistic. He should easily be top 3 in scoring on the team once he's active, and has the length and athleticism to play tough D if he works on it. It'll be fun to watch!

I think this is far too pessimistic. He should easily be top 3 in scoring on the team once he's active, and has the length and athleticism to play tough D if he works on it. It'll be fun to watch!
Well I certainly agree with top 3 in scoring on this team, cuz, I mean, like who else haha? But I would hope that we can draft better players to be our true stars in the next couple years and/or attract 1-2 good players in FA once we get decent and at that point Lavine is a solid rotation player amidst a better team.

ADVERTISEMENT