ADVERTISEMENT

OT: CFL to eliminate full-contact practices

villox

Aug 19, 2008
It's only a matter of time before it comes to American Football, I think.

I find it interesting that the country that wants to eliminate contact in football goes absolutely bat-crap crazy when you suggest eliminating fighting from hockey.
I guess if they tie concussions to having your shirt pulled over your head, that will have to be discussed.

On the serious side, hockey has some of the highest speed collisions in sports. This is heading their way, too.

I guess if they tie concussions to having your shirt pulled over your head, that will have to be discussed.

On the serious side, hockey has some of the highest speed collisions in sports. This is heading their way, too.
What CTE has (I think) taught us is that the frequent, low impact collisions are at least as destructive as the one-time, high speed ones.

I don't think we'll see football lose popularity as a spectator sport - what I do think we'll see, however, is a changing demographic makeup of football players, with more pros and college players from Simeon and Lane Tech, and fewer from Wheaton North or Loyola.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT