ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coach Prime doing his thing

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
They now have the #1 CB from the last two classes playing in the CU backfield. They brought in a highflying OC in Sean Lewis and have the #3 transfer class in the nation. Not sure if they have plugged all their holes but they got QB covered with 4 star Shedeur Sanders following pops, who threw for a bazillion yards and is a longshot Heisman candidate.

Happy with our recent hires, but this was otherworldly and a grand slam for the Buffs.

Colorado will be top 10 within 2-3 years. Great hire by CU.

Reactions: FrancisSearle75
I would very much enjoy the success Colorado is going to enjoy over the next few seasons. Bring me an ambitious ‘fraud‘ who will actually win football games, please.

I share your envy.

He's already elevated Colorado's talent base to levels unseen since Barnett and McCartney. Give him a whole year to recruit and let's see what he is able to do. He's certainly been far more successful with the Portal than our own turtle slow coach.

I share your envy.

He's already elevated Colorado's talent base to levels unseen since Barnett and McCartney. Give him a whole year to recruit and let's see what he is able to do. He's certainly been far more successful with the Portal than our own turtle slow coach.
Talk about comparing apples and oranges.

Probably couldn't have two more dissimilar resume's. One is a two-sport pro who is in the NFL Hall of Fame, only man to play in both the Super Bowl and World Series, recruiting at a school with zero academic restrictions. The other, is not.Sanders has recruiting advantages over almost every head coach today.

They now have the #1 CB from the last two classes playing in the CU backfield. They brought in a highflying OC in Sean Lewis and have the #3 transfer class in the nation. Not sure if they have plugged all their holes but they got QB covered with 4 star Shedeur Sanders following pops, who threw for a bazillion yards and is a longshot Heisman candidate.

Happy with our recent hires, but this was otherworldly and a grand slam for the Buffs.

Colorado will be top 10 within 2-3 years. Great hire by CU.

I didn’t realize Deion was able to pry Sean Lewis away from Akron. That’s a fantastic hire. Being coach of the Zips is a difficult gig and he not only led them to a few bowl games, but turned Akron into a pesky early season opponent for several bluebloods/P5 programs. Not an easy task.

Thanks to Tennessee’s recent success the veer&shoot/superspreader has reached peak popularity and Prime wants to get in on it. I’ve said for this occasionally for the last 8-10 years, but I would have loved to see NU run that scheme before the rest of the country caught on.

I didn’t realize Deion was able to pry Sean Lewis away from Akron. That’s a fantastic hire. Being coach of the Zips is a difficult gig and he not only led them to a few bowl games, but turned Akron into a pesky early season opponent for several bluebloods/P5 programs. Not an easy task.

Thanks to Tennessee’s recent success the veer&shoot/superspreader has reached peak popularity and Prime wants to get in on it. I’ve said for this occasionally for the last 8-10 years, but I would have loved to see NU run that scheme before the rest of the country caught on.
Ditto.

Yes he did. But it was Kent State, and they had a top 5 offense. The kind of offense I wish we had. Or that we used to have. Long, long ago.

Oh wow, I definitely goofed there! Yep, the Golden Flashes not the Zips. Always confuse those two schools.

Lewis is from the Dino Babers tree of veer & shoot, which predates the Briles scandal/horror at Baylor. If Bajakian can’t get it going here in 2023, I would love for Fitz to take a look at someone from that line like Jason Beck or Matt Johnson.

Heavens, three or four years of meteoric success. How terrible
I’d want someone who was going to stay for the long haul. Three to four years of success followed by dark ages? I wouldn’t want that.
It’s not like Colorado is a historical powerhouse and they’d keep up what Deon brought them. McCarthy’s last season was in ‘94 and since then they have had only 8 winning seasons.

Colorado has been woeful the last few years. Mel Tucker bailed quickly. Let's see him win a few games before we judge. They host Nebraska in week two. That should be interesting.

Heavens, three or four years of meteoric success. How terrible
Agree because compared to three win or less seasons is soo much better. Keeping someone for the "long haul' means what over 3 of the the last 4 seasons? Because if there has been a "plan" it sure doesn't look like much.

Yes he did. But it was Kent State, and they had a top 5 offense. The kind of offense I wish we had. Or that we used to have. Long, long ago.

I watch KSU football a bit, and wanted Sean Lewis as our OC to replace Bajakian in a big way. That is a fantastic hire for Colorado.

Coach Prime, indeed.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
I’d want someone who was going to stay for the long haul. Three to four years of success followed by dark ages? I wouldn’t want that.
It’s not like Colorado is a historical powerhouse and they’d keep up what Deon brought them. McCarthy’s last season was in ‘94 and since then they have had only 8 winning seasons.
You act like 3-4 seasons of success won’t make the program better and way more attractive than it was for the next coach to continue to succeed rather than facing a turnaround bigger than our own.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
You seem to forget Barnett won what 2-3 Big North titles and ended up in the top 10.

I’d want someone who was going to stay for the long haul.
Maybe 5 percent will stay (like Patterson did at TCU). The rest will go for twice the money at someplace like Auburn or Florida. Point being, meh, so what, take what you can get while you can get it.

Reactions: FrancisSearle75
If anyone thinks a Sanders type is coming to Evanston for 3-4 years for instant success and then leaving for better pastures, you’re drinking more than purple kool-aid.

I stand by the original premise that we need a coach who will stay for the long(er)haul. Even Barnett stayed for seven seasons.

And after three years of Deonmania, is Jackson State a destination school? If Sanders leaves after 3-4 years will his influence have made Colorado the next Georgia or Alabama, a perennial winner?

If what Barnett did for our reputation in the mid-90’s didn’t permanently change our reputation, and our fortunes, a few years of Deon won’t either.

If the current staff at any school is mediocre what the prior staff did is pretty meaningless, as the ‘21 and ‘22 seasons demonstrate.

Keep Deon. For NU give me types like Fitzgerald, Walker, Barnett surrounded by a high quality staff.

You seem to forget that the Big 10 "North" didn't exist until 2011 when the conference split into Leaders and Legends......
He meant Big XII North. Barnett won two Big XII North titles at Colorado in 2001 and 2002.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Not sure if Colorado will reach its 1990s to 2000s peak, but Colorado has some potential to at least be a Top 30 team with Coach Sanders. I was impressed last October when Colorado fans packed a stadium with above capacity attendance (50,471) to come out to support a winless 0-4 Colorado team before they upset Cal and stormed the field (and it was NOT even homecoming):

I think that fan support despite putrid performance on the field showed that Colorado still could be considered a sleeping power. But again, with regards to Coach Sanders, I think more hype and a few top recruits is going to be needed to compete against upper echelon of FBS. If hype and grabbing top recruits were going to win games, Texas A&M would have won the national title this past year. Still need coaching, strategy, player development, etc. to win, not just a few splash recruits to get on with the Big Boys. If it goes the way I think, I see Colorado making some noise in their conference but not close to becoming the next Alabama or Georgia.

Well, if Coach Prime turns out to be good, he'll just bolt to the NFL.
My totally unsubstantiated impression of Prime is that the magic that makes him a formidable college coach would not translate to the NFL, but in fairness to him his sizzle may just overshadow his actual football/coaching IQ

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT