ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Concussion diaries from a HS football player with CTE

I saw that bo Jackson has said if he knew then what he knows now he wouldn't have played football and he will not allow his kids to play football

http://www.gq.com/story/the-concussion-diaries-high-school-football-cte

After reading this I think I will encourage my sons to take up soccer instead.

Something will change in the next ten years regarding football but I do not know what, I have no idea.

No guarantees that playing soccer will keep a player concussion free. Had a nephew that was close to being medically retired from soccer due to concussions. USYSA has modified rules so that younger players can no longer use headers.

No guarantees that playing soccer will keep a player concussion free. Had a nephew that was close to being medically retired from soccer due to concussions. USYSA has modified rules so that younger players can no longer use headers.

Sorry for your nephew. It's really tough watching a family member go through that.

In my experience I've not seen much of an issue from headers. Usually at the younger ages, 11 and younger, the ball isn't struck hard enough to cause problems. And coaches worth their salt aren't working on headers in practice at that age anyway except maybe for 15 minutes a year. As my son's coach says, "Put the ball on the ground, son! It rolls."

Where I've seen concussions is from kicks from close range where the players can't get their head out of the way and from contact with other players--not so much from headers at a young age (this happens much more later) but from big kids knocking smaller ones to the ground.

Overall I don't think we'll see nearly the same issues with soccer that we have with football. The game has been played for a long time and there should be ample evidence at this point of long-term effects.

I believe there are studies indicating that some people are more apt to suffer concussions than others based on genetics. If studies continue to support this, I can see testing occurring at some point to steer youngsters away from certain activities.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
http://www.gq.com/story/the-concussion-diaries-high-school-football-cte

After reading this I think I will encourage my sons to take up soccer instead.

Something will change in the next ten years regarding football but I do not know what, I have no idea.
The story is so sad. To be in your teens and early 20's, and to feel your mind slipping away...how terrifying.

It's truly a shame that he wasn't taught proper technique - and that the technique that gave him such (relative) acclaim is also what killed him.

I would love it if a league started playing football without pads, rugby style. Anecdotally, scrums are the most dangerous part of the game, but I don't think football would have an equally dangerous equivalent. (LOS play involves fewer players and less time.)

Wrestling is more violent! So is boxing, MMA. Heck, 90 Mtr skijumping, iron worker, Policeman, Day laborer, Crop picker in southern California! Oil Driller! Lets add another gazillion jobs men do to destroy themselves before their time! Heck, this is just focusing on football because of the money and liability issue, to some degree.

Wrestling is more violent! So is boxing, MMA. Heck, 90 Mtr skijumping, iron worker, Policeman, Day laborer, Crop picker in southern California! Oil Driller! Lets add another gazillion jobs men do to destroy themselves before their time! Heck, this is just focusing on football because of the money and liability issue, to some degree.
There's a difference between doing something for recreation and doing something to feed your family

Reactions: Hungry Jack
There's a difference between doing something for recreation and doing something to feed your family

Also, we're talking about a specific type of injury. Police have very dangerous jobs but they're not receiving multiple blows to the head on a daily basis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT