ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Harbag goes after another NU legacy - 7th grader!

Do we know how Brian feels about his time at NU?

He was city mouse to Damien's country mouse (sorry, first thing I thought of was the Daily NU article).

He was here during the peak of NU football including the 3rd B1G championship in 6 years, but also the lows (Rashidi Wheeler death and disappointing 2001 season). He also went from major contributor (prat time starter? I forget) his true freshman year to riding the pine behind Damien when the latter emerged from his redshirt. Don't really even remember if he stayed and played all 4 years or not.

Reactions: stpaulcat
Harbaugh is a clown. Giving an “offer” is a meaningless thing to a 7th grader. Just shows how unserious Michigans offers are and how little integrity they have in making offers.

Does the Michigan AD know this is going on?

He was city mouse to Damien's country mouse (sorry, first thing I thought of was the Daily NU article).

He was here during the peak of NU football including the 3rd B1G championship in 6 years, but also the lows (Rashidi Wheeler death and disappointing 2001 season). He also went from major contributor (prat time starter? I forget) his true freshman year to riding the pine behind Damien when the latter emerged from his redshirt. Don't really even remember if he stayed and played all 4 years or not.

I understand all that but that doesn't really answer my question. Do we know if he has kept in touch with the program and if he has good feelings about NU? If I am not mistaken, he was on the team at the same time as coach Ayeni. I know it's early but hopefully there is a good connection between those two.

Harbaugh is a clown. Giving an “offer” is a meaningless thing to a 7th grader. Just shows how unserious Michigans offers are and how little integrity they have in making offers.

Does the Michigan AD know this is going on?
Look at the publicity it got Michigan. It’s a show with Hardballs and he tries to divert attention from the performance of his team the last two games.

He was here ‘97-‘99. Played as a true freshman in 1997, but then was behind Anderson ‘98-‘99. I strongly believe he was not a part of the program in 2000.

The article said he was at Northwestern for the 2000 title. That would tie with a standard 4 year stint at NU.

It's a reach (probably inaccurate) to say Brian Marshall was a part of the 2000 championship team. He was recruited in the same class as Damien Anderson (in 1997) and he played as a true freshman for the 1997 season while Anderson was redshirting. In 1998, Anderson emerged as NU's leading rusher while Marshall was his back-up. For 1999, Marshall was listed in the preseason depth chart as #3 behind Anderson & Kevin Lawrence. He had no carries in that season. By 2000 (the championship season), he was no longer listed on the roster.

Actually, Darth, I looked it up and you're right. He only played from 97-99, though he graduated from NU in 2001. I guess he left the team.

Not sure what that says about his feelings for NU or the football program.

I understand all that but that doesn't really answer my question. Do we know if he has kept in touch with the program and if he has good feelings about NU? If I am not mistaken, he was on the team at the same time as coach Ayeni. I know it's early but hopefully there is a good connection between those two.

It's likely that Ayeni and Brian Marshall were acquainted in Evanston, but inaccurate to continue the claim that Marshall was a part of the 2000 championship team (except in the loosest sense). Marshall only saw game action at NU in the 1997 & 1998 seasons. He appears on the 1999 pre-season roster, but had no carries (if he appeared in any games at all) and disappeared from our roster in 2000. Ayeni came to Evanston in 1999 and started his career as a true freshman wide receiver in that season. (source: NU Football Media Guides).

Reactions: NUMBfan
My recollection is that ayeni started at RB before switching to safety and having one great season at that position. Tremendous hitter.

Last edited:
It's likely that Ayeni and Brian Marshall were acquainted in Evanston, but inaccurate to continue the claim that Marshall was a part of the 2000 championship team (except in the loosest sense). Marshall only saw game action at NU in the 1997 & 1998 seasons. He appears on the 1999 pre-season roster, but had no carries (if he appeared in any games at all) and disappeared from our roster in 2000. Ayeni came to Evanston in 1999 and started his career as a true freshman wide receiver in that season. (source: NU Football Media Guides).
Maybe Marshall was a medical noncounter through his graduation?

NCAA needs to change this so you can't offer a kid before high school. It's ridiculous to put this type of spotlight on a seventh-grader.
Better yet, make the offer commitable while the kid is still in middle school.

It's a reach (probably inaccurate) to say Brian Marshall was a part of the 2000 championship team. He was recruited in the same class as Damien Anderson (in 1997) and he played as a true freshman for the 1997 season while Anderson was redshirting. In 1998, Anderson emerged as NU's leading rusher while Marshall was his back-up. For 1999, Marshall was listed in the preseason depth chart as #3 behind Anderson & Kevin Lawrence. He had no carries in that season. By 2000 (the championship season), he was no longer listed on the roster.

In 99 Marshall had several kick-off returns. He might've retired from injuries, but can't be sure.

EDIT: Found a story in the Daily Northwestern archives. It seems 14 players left the team after 99 because of Randy Walker's demanding approach. Marshall is mentioned as one of those leaving in this article:

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2000/12/03/archive-manual/the-taskmaster/

The Taskmaster refused to accept a losing season.

Last edited:
Actually, Darth, I looked it up and you're right. He only played from 97-99, though he graduated from NU in 2001. I guess he left the team.

Not sure what that says about his feelings for NU or the football program.

I’ve talked to a couple of former football players that played under Walker and Fitz. Walker ran his practices like a boot camp. He was a strict, hard-nosed coach that pushed his players. This approach is not for all people and I’m speculating this rubbed Brian Marshall the wrong way. It sounds like a bunch of Barnett era players quit football when Walker took over.

Fitz is more of a “players coach”. His practices have loud music blasting. Players are dancing/joking/laughing between drills. You would NEVER see that at a Walker practice.

Reactions: corbi296
I’ve talked to a couple of former football players that played under Walker and Fitz. Walker ran his practices like a boot camp. He was a strict, hard-nosed coach that pushed his players. This approach is not for all people and I’m speculating this rubbed Brian Marshall the wrong way. It sounds like a bunch of Barnett era players quit football when Walker took over.

Fitz is more of a “players coach”. His practices have loud music blasting. Players are dancing/joking/laughing between drills. You would NEVER see that at a Walker practice.

I wonder how much of the change is due to coach personality, and how much generational where we now have coaches who grew up with music playing everywhere they went, and players who would not likely to commit to a program with a more spartan militaristic atmosphere?

ADVERTISEMENT