ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Harbaugh to the Bears?

corbi296

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2005
Pure speculation on my part but if rumors are accurate, John Fox is on his way out of Chicago soon. For the McCaskeys to eat the rest of Fox's contract and fire him after less than 2 seasons has to show how desperate they are to field a winner. Who better than proven winner and former Chicago Bears starting QB Jim Harbaugh to lead the franchise. I believe Harbaugh still has a bad taste in his mouth with how things ended with the 49ers and he desperately wants to prove he can lead a team to a Super Bowl title. I think this scenario is very plausible, especially if he is able to lead Michigan to a BCS title game this year. Thoughts?

Pure speculation on my part but if rumors are accurate, John Fox is on his way out of Chicago soon. For the McCaskeys to eat the rest of Fox's contract and fire him after less than 2 seasons has to show how desperate they are to field a winner. Who better than proven winner and former Chicago Bears starting QB Jim Harbaugh to lead the franchise. I believe Harbaugh still has a bad taste in his mouth with how things ended with the 49ers and he desperately wants to prove he can lead a team to a Super Bowl title. I think this scenario is very plausible, especially if he is able to lead Michigan to a BCS title game this year. Thoughts?

Heaven forbid. I would rather see the Bears continue to stink than win with Hardballs.

Don't think Harbaugh makes the jump to the NFL for at least a few more years, if at all.

Harbaugh loves the college game and being the HC - is the boss and doesn't really have to answer to anyone else (despite the position of AD), unlike in the pro game.

Also, his kids are going to the same school he went to and his parents moved to AA instead of moving close to one of his sister's families.

Leonard Floyd is turnstiling poor Jake Long tonight.

Bradford and Minny's O haven't looked the same ever since the Vikings lost both of their starting tackles.

I find any of this plausible right now. The Bears are crap right now, in large part due to injury. I don't see the McCaskeys rebooting 3 times in 5 seasons.

Barring a significant improvement from the Bears the rest of the way, Fox is gone. Not sure if you are in the Chicago area, but word is the McCaskeys have hired an outside consultant to review all football operations. They would not be doing that in season unless they were serious about addressing the situation. If Fox does not go 5-3 or better in the second half, I think he is gone.

Regarding Harbaugh, I completely disagree. Harbaugh loves the pro game and the competitor in him can't stand the fact that his brother has won a Super Bowl and he has not. If Harbaugh can take Michigan to the BCS Championship game this year, he will set his sights on a Super Bowl. I also think the Bears and Chicago have a special place in his heart. I also know he has a great relationship with the McCaskeys. If Fox does end up getting fired, there is no doubt in mind that the Bears go after Harbaugh hard.

Barring a significant improvement from the Bears the rest of the way, Fox is gone. Not sure if you are in the Chicago area, but word is the McCaskeys have hired an outside consultant to review all football operations. They would not be doing that in season unless they were serious about addressing the situation. If Fox does not go 5-3 or better in the second half, I think he is gone

Good grief. Didn't they just do this a few years ago? Until the Trestman fiasco, the McCaskeys have been patient to a fault with their head coach hires. It must have been very obvious that Trestman had completely lost the team by the end of year 2 for George to eat whatever was left of Trestman;s deal.

Barring a total ugly metldown, I think Foxy gets at least another year. He has a lot of credibility, and the injuries have fleeced this team's shallow roster of its best players. They looked pretty good tonight. Maybe they will get healthy and turn the corner.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Regarding Harbaugh, I completely disagree. Harbaugh loves the pro game and the competitor in him can't stand the fact that his brother has won a Super Bowl and he has not. If Harbaugh can take Michigan to the BCS Championship game this year, he will set his sights on a Super Bowl. I also think the Bears and Chicago have a special place in his heart. I also know he has a great relationship with the McCaskeys. If Fox does end up getting fired, there is no doubt in mind that the Bears go after Harbaugh hard.

Harbaugh is an intense competitor, but he also likes being the man which he is at UM where he also has total control over personnel matters.

And maybe some might think Harbaugh saying that he started dreaming of being the HC at Michigan as a young lad of 9-10 yrs of age as just talk, but from everything I've read, Harbaugh bleeds blue.

Harbaugh may one day turn his eyes back to the pro game, but that won't be until after he has accomplished a few goals at UM - including beating dOSU and winning a B1G championship (or 2), if not winning a national championship.

Harbaugh easily could have gone to another NFL gig, but chose to come back to college game at the only school that would have been able to draw him back.

Instead of firing Fox, the Bears desperately need new ownership. Actually you can fire Fox too if that makes you feel better. But good, sound leadership always starts at the very top of an organization, and in my opinion, the Bears are sorely lacking in that department. Look what an involved, non-stingy owner has done for the Cubs - both in the front office, and on the field.

A Ricketts type owner could, and would, turn a moribund franchise around. It only took Theo Epstein, and 4 years for the Cubs.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Instead of firing Fox, the Bears desperately need new ownership. Actually you can fire Fox too if that makes you feel better. But good, sound leadership always starts at the very top of an organization, and in my opinion, the Bears are sorely lacking in that department. Look what an involved, non-stingy owner has done for the Cubs - both in the front office, and on the field.

A Ricketts type owner could, and would, turn a moribund franchise around. It only took Theo Epstein, and 4 years for the Cubs.

Blackhawks too for that matter.

The McCaskeys get a raw deal in my opinion. The reputation of being stingy is completely unwarranted if you look at how they have spent money on players/coaches over the last 10-15 years. They also have very little to do with running the team on a day to day basis. Jim Phillips handles Business Operations, Ryan Pace handles football operations and John Fox is the coach. I have no problem with Phillips and think Pace has done a very good job of improving the talent on the roster from top to bottom since he started although they still have a ways to go. I was never overjoyed with the choice of Fox as the Head Coach but have kept an open mind. Ultimately the record they have to date is unacceptable and the fault for that rests on Fox. Even when you consider the injuries, this team has significantly more talent than the Bears had last year. They managed to win 6 games last year and therefore I think Fox has to show progress in order to convince that the Bears they are on the right path. If he doesn't win 7-8 games this year, I think Fox is out.

The McCaskeys get a raw deal in my opinion. The reputation of being stingy is completely unwarranted if you look at how they have spent money on players/coaches over the last 10-15 years. They also have very little to do with running the team on a day to day basis. Jim Phillips handles Business Operations, Ryan Pace handles football operations and John Fox is the coach. I have no problem with Phillips and think Pace has done a very good job of improving the talent on the roster from top to bottom since he started although they still have a ways to go. I was never overjoyed with the choice of Fox as the Head Coach but have kept an open mind. Ultimately the record they have to date is unacceptable and the fault for that rests on Fox. Even when you consider the injuries, this team has significantly more talent than the Bears had last year. They managed to win 6 games last year and therefore I think Fox has to show progress in order to convince that the Bears they are on the right path. If he doesn't win 7-8 games this year, I think Fox is out.
By design or circumstance, Fox was the first coaching hire of a candidate who had head coach experience: Ditka, Wanny, Jauron, Smith, Tresty--all rookie head coaches. It makes it look like the McCaskeys are "cheap", but I am not convinced that was the motivation. However, the theoretical question is would the McCaskey's pony up what it would take to hire a guy like Belicek, Cowher, Parcells, etc should that type of candidate come available.

The talent is improving, but has a ways to go. The NFL is full of 8-8 teams +- 2 wins. The Bears aren't there yet. And the rumor is they will be looking for another QB this offseason.

For Harbaugh to come to the Bears, wouldn't he have to take a significant pay cut? It was reported recently that Harbaugh stands to make $9 million this year. I can't imagine the Bears coming close to matching that even if they weren't also paying off the rest of Fox's contract.

I believe Harbaugh still has a bad taste in his mouth with how things ended with the 49ers and he desperately wants to prove he can lead a team to a Super Bowl title.[/QUOTE said:
I can hardly wait for UM to lose Harbaugh and the Bears surely need him to provide new, dynamic leadership as HC. I agree that he wants back in the pros. He has nothing to prove at the college level.

The Niners hadn't had a winning season for 8 years before he arrived. His first year he went 13 - 3 with - essentially - the same players that went 6 - 10 the year before. Then 11 - 4, then 12 - 4, then 8 - 8 as his relationship with the owner deteriorated.

"Bad taste" doesn't really describe the resentment he must feel. In exchange for performance at the very top of pro HC performance, he gets chased out of town by a brat with more money than brains. Hardly a day goes by when the owner isn't bashed one place or another out here.

DO IT, CHICAGO BEARS!!!

http://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/ar...979249.php?t=e245bacc40&cmpid=twitter-premium

For Harbaugh to come to the Bears, wouldn't he have to take a significant pay cut? It was reported recently that Harbaugh stands to make $9 million this year. I can't imagine the Bears coming close to matching that even if they weren't also paying off the rest of Fox's contract.

I'm not sure what the NFL Head Coaching pay scale looks like but I have no doubt the McCaskeys would be willing to pay the right coach top NFL money. I think Virginia is desperate to see her dad's team become a winner again before she passes and I also think that the success of the other sports teams in Chicago has to be putting some pressure on the Bears to become relevant again. How many times have the Bears made the playoffs in the last ten years? Once maybe?

This is all pure speculation but what happens between now and the end of football season will determine if the Bears are in the market for a new head coach and If Jim Harbaugh could be tempted by the NFL. Fox needs to win 7 games to get another year and I think Harbaugh will be tempted by the right NFL job if he leads Michigan to a Big Ten Championship and a BCS birth.

Harbaugh is not leaving Michigan anytime soon. Loves being a god. Wants his kids to be raised in Ann Arbor. Just bought his parents a house in his compound. New child on the way.

Harbaugh is not leaving Michigan anytime soon. Loves being a god. Wants his kids to be raised in Ann Arbor. Just bought his parents a house in his compound. New child on the way.

Let me guess, a Michigan fan? They said the same things at Stanford. I will say this with confidence, Harbaugh may not leave after this season but he will leave for the right NFL opportunity within the next 2-3 years. The guy is too restless and is always looking for the next challenge. Similar to Saban and Parcells in that way. If he reaches the mountain top at Michigan, he will be looking for his next challenge soon. I am sure it bothers him to no end that his brother has won a Super Bowl and he has not. I also think the 20 hour rule in College is a source of frustration for him. The guy wants to be football 24/7.

Corbi, Saban was only restless until he wasn't. He was 55 when he took the job he stayed with for more than a decade. Harbaugh was 51 when he took the Michigan job. Like Saban, he may be ready to lay down some roots.

Harbaugh wants to compete in everything, and at the highest level. Being "the Man" at Michigan presents no challenge, everything I've ever seen of him and through his interviews, I gather that he's in it for the thrill of the hunt. If the Bears came calling, because he's turned Michigan into the machine of yesteryear, beats Urban, etc., he will go back to the NFL. I'd bet on it.

All of that might be true but the Bears are a family business and new ownership will not happen.

What has Pace done to deserve any love? I would argue that you build through the draft and I don't see stellar results in that department. He has brought in some depth, particularly on D, but had a lot of cash to operate with when he dumped Forte, Marshall and Bennett.

I personally would love to see Harbaugh leave UM for the Bears. UM was certainly a lot easier to play with RRod or that other dingleberry after him. Maybe the Bears would actually be worth rooting for.

Heaven forbid. I would rather see the Bears continue to stink than win with Hardballs.

I agree 100% for 2 reasons.

First, I'm a Packer fan so the lower the Bears sink the better.

Second, I'm a Michigan season ticket holder and wish to see Jim stay in Ann Arbor.

Go Blue! Go Pack!

The McCaskeys get a raw deal in my opinion. The reputation of being stingy is completely unwarranted if you look at how they have spent money on players/coaches over the last 10-15 years. They also have very little to do with running the team on a day to day basis. Jim Phillips handles Business Operations, Ryan Pace handles football operations and John Fox is the coach.

While I agree that the McCaskeys' reputation for being cheap is entirely unearned, you're not accurately describing the structure of the team. They don't divide the team into "football" and "business" sides. Ted Phillips is the team president; Ryan Pace is the general manager. They've said that Pace has full control of the football side of things, but if ownership is hiring an outside consultant to evaluate the team, that means that Pace isn't as powerful as they say.

Compare to the Cubs, who have a President of Business Operations (Crane Kenney) and a President of Baseball Operations (Theo Epstein) on equal footing in the organization. Crane Kenney can't fire Theo Epstein. Ted Phillips can fire Ryan Pace.

Am I misguided in blaming the Bears owners for that monstrosity on the lake? It's not so much the garish architecture of Soldier Field II, it's the fact that we missed a huge opportunity by not building a domed indoor stadium that would attract a Super Bowl, B1G Championship game, bowl game, Final Four to our great city in the depths of winter.

What has Pace done to deserve any love? I would argue that you build through the draft and I don't see stellar results in that department. He has brought in some depth, particularly on D, but had a lot of cash to operate with when he dumped Forte, Marshall and Bennett.

I disagree completely. I acknowledge it's early but I am seeing his first two drafts starting to produce players that will be high caliber NFL starters.

2015 NFL Draft has produced sure fire NFL Pro Bowler (DL - Eddie Goldman), 2 solid NFL defensive starter (S - Amos and CB- Callahan), 2 solid contributors on offense who already have started multiple games (RB - Jeremy Langford and WR- Cam Meredith), one very talented but so far oft injured WR in Kevin White and a developing OL in Grasu who is on injured reserve for the year.

2016 NFL Draft has produced explosive pass rushing LB Leonard Floyd who has 3 sacks in the last two games, a rookie starting Center in Cody Whitehair who is grading out as a Pro Bowler so far, a DE in Jonathan Bullard who is getting lots of playing time and has impressed many so far, a CB in Deirdre Hall who has already started in the NFL and has drawn comparisons to Charles Tillman, a starting RB who had over 200 yards gained from the line of scrimmage last night and is a contender for rookie of the year, 3 developing players who are contributing on special teams and 1 practice squad player.

So let's recap. In two drafts he has picked/signed 6 starters performing at a high level, 5 players who have started and are key parts of the rotation, 1 highly talented WR in Kevin White who was starting to break out before an unfortunate injury, and 4 players who are providing solid depth. If Kevin White gets healthy and starts producing like I think he can, these drafts will be considered home runs. Even without him, I would argue that both these drafts are shaping up as very good drafts by any standard but certainly outstanding compared to the standard of futility that the Bears have had in the draft over the last 10-15 years.

He has not done as well in free agency but I would argue he has been above average. Pernell McPhee was the best signing of free agency last year. The guy is a Pro Bowl caliber player and one of the best pass rushers in the league. Last night was his first game back this year and I don't think it's any coincidence that the Bears dominated the defensive line of scrimmage and put strong, consistent pressure on the QB for the first time this year.

I personally would love to see Harbaugh leave UM for the Bears. UM was certainly a lot easier to play with RRod or that other dingleberry after him. Maybe the Bears would actually be worth rooting for.

That was one BIG dingleberry.

While I agree that the McCaskeys' reputation for being cheap is entirely unearned, you're not accurately describing the structure of the team. They don't divide the team into "football" and "business" sides. Ted Phillips is the team president; Ryan Pace is the general manager. They've said that Pace has full control of the football side of things, but if ownership is hiring an outside consultant to evaluate the team, that means that Pace isn't as powerful as they say.

Compare to the Cubs, who have a President of Business Operations (Crane Kenney) and a President of Baseball Operations (Theo Epstein) on equal footing in the organization. Crane Kenney can't fire Theo Epstein. Ted Phillips can fire Ryan Pace.

You are correct. Ted Phillips is technically the President but I don't he believe has the ability to hire and fire the GM going forward. He was given that responsibility previously and he gave us Phil Emery. Enough said! The hiring of Ryan Pace was not ultimately up to Ted Phillips. They hired an outside consultant and while Phillips was part of the interview process, I believe it was George McCaskey that ultimately made this call. So while the title indicates he is the President, in practice I see Ted Phillips and Ryan Pace as equals in the Bears hierarchy with George McCaskey ultimately evaluating their performance. The rumored outside consultant that has been hired has been hired by the McCaskey's and they are evaluating all football operations but word is they are focused on the coaching.

Say what you will Corbi, but the McCaskeys gave us Michael McCaskey as Chasirman of the Board from 1999 to 2011. During his 13 years of "leadership" the Bears went 106-102, made the playoffs 4 times, botched the Dave McGinnis hiring, and generally helped the Bears become a mediocre franchise compared to the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Panthers, Seahawks, ect..

Michael was also President from 1983 through 1998, and it is well known that he really never liked Mike Ditka - finally firing him in 1992.

Unfortunately, willycat is right - it's a family business and new ownership probably wont happen.

The McCaskeys are like the difference between track speed and football speed. They know how to make money, but don't seem to know how to provide leadership and excellent management for a professional sports franchise that is located in the greatest pro sports city in the world!

Say what you will Corbi, but the McCaskeys gave us Michael McCaskey as Chasirman of the Board from 1999 to 2011. During his 13 years of "leadership" the Bears went 106-102, made the playoffs 4 times, botched the Dave McGinnis hiring

During the period you reference, Michael McCaskey had nothing to do with football operations. It was the botched hiring of McGinnis between the 1998 and 1999 seasons that led to McCaskey's "promotion" to Chairman, which really meant that he was stripped of his football responsibilities. Ted Phillips was the one in charge from 1999 onward.

Say what you will Corbi, but the McCaskeys gave us Michael McCaskey as Chasirman of the Board from 1999 to 2011. During his 13 years of "leadership" the Bears went 106-102, made the playoffs 4 times, botched the Dave McGinnis hiring, and generally helped the Bears become a mediocre franchise compared to the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Panthers, Seahawks, ect..

Michael was also President from 1983 through 1998, and it is well known that he really never liked Mike Ditka - finally firing him in 1992.

Unfortunately, willycat is right - it's a family business and new ownership probably wont happen.

The McCaskeys are like the difference between track speed and football speed. They know how to make money, but don't seem to know how to provide leadership and excellent management for a professional sports franchise that is located in the greatest pro sports city in the world!

Ah yes good, old Michael McCaskey. He did more to damage the McCaskey's reputation with Chicago fans than anyone could have imagined. That being said, I empathize with parents who have to figure out how to deal with an idiot son. He turned out to be the "Fredo" of the McCaskey family although the one thing he did right was to fire Mike Ditka (It was Time!). As Styre said, Michael has not had anything to do with the Bears for a long time and George on the other hand has shown himself to be fairly intelligent, hard working with good people skills.

Am I misguided in blaming the Bears owners for that monstrosity on the lake? It's not so much the garish architecture of Soldier Field II, it's the fact that we missed a huge opportunity by not building a domed indoor stadium that would attract a Super Bowl, B1G Championship game, bowl game, Final Four to our great city in the depths of winter.

I don't mind Soldier Field but those who don't like it should really blame Mayor Daley for it (lots of things to blame Daley for in retrospect). The Bears were more than happy to build a new stadium elsewhere but it was Daley who insisted that he would only agree to help finance it if they retrofitted the existing stadium. I think he insisted on the retrofit because they were stumped by what to do with Soldier Field if the Bears didn't play there.

Harbaugh is going to be in Ann Arbor for a long time. He achieved a lot in his time with SF, showed he can succeed at that level, but the bad taste left from dealing with jackbag owners and GMs, and difficult multimillionaire athletes, has led him to what is his ideal situation. And as noted, he now has young children, whom he doesn't want to rip up from their home (and a new baby on the way) and his parents have moved to AA. He worshipped Bo, and for him to be the 'New Bo', to be the prodigal son returned home to return HIS team to glory, is perfect for him. And clearly his shtick works better at recruiting teenagers to come to Ann ARbor than to sign prima donna free agents.

He's staying, and will likely only leave the job when he retires from coaching.

Harbaugh is going to be in Ann Arbor for a long time. He achieved a lot in his time with SF, showed he can succeed at that level, but the bad taste left from dealing with jackbag owners and GMs, and difficult multimillionaire athletes, has led him to what is his ideal situation. And as noted, he now has young children, whom he doesn't want to rip up from their home (and a new baby on the way) and his parents have moved to AA. He worshipped Bo, and for him to be the 'New Bo', to be the prodigal son returned home to return HIS team to glory, is perfect for him. And clearly his shtick works better at recruiting teenagers to come to Ann ARbor than to sign prima donna free agents.

He's staying, and will likely only leave the job when he retires from coaching.

Ha, keep dreaming! Enjoy your current success with him while you have him. He won't be there long. Of that I have no doubt.

Unstable guy, Harbaugh. Weird. Good coach but will be a short timer.

Ha, keep dreaming! Enjoy your current success with him while you have him. He won't be there long. Of that I have no doubt.
He's not going anywhere. Fitz will be gone in a couple of years, and NU will sink back to its usual mediocrity. Harbaugh isn't going to put his young wife, little kids and new baby into the meatgrinder of NFL coaching. The fact that his parents have settled down in his compound is more evidence of that. If anyone knows Jim its them - they wouldn't have moved there if he was only marking time. I actually met him a couple of times when he was QB at UM - I was friends with Chris Zurbrugg, who took over for him in 84 after he broke his arm in the MSU game. He loves UM, loves being Bo's heir, and ain't going anywhere, no matter what fans of the teams he beats are dying to believe to make themselves feel better.

I disagree completely. I acknowledge it's early but I am seeing his first two drafts starting to produce players that will be high caliber NFL starters.

2015 NFL Draft has produced sure fire NFL Pro Bowler (DL - Eddie Goldman), 2 solid NFL defensive starter (S - Amos and CB- Callahan), 2 solid contributors on offense who already have started multiple games (RB - Jeremy Langford and WR- Cam Meredith), one very talented but so far oft injured WR in Kevin White and a developing OL in Grasu who is on injured reserve for the year.

2016 NFL Draft has produced explosive pass rushing LB Leonard Floyd who has 3 sacks in the last two games, a rookie starting Center in Cody Whitehair who is grading out as a Pro Bowler so far, a DE in Jonathan Bullard who is getting lots of playing time and has impressed many so far, a CB in Deirdre Hall who has already started in the NFL and has drawn comparisons to Charles Tillman, a starting RB who had over 200 yards gained from the line of scrimmage last night and is a contender for rookie of the year, 3 developing players who are contributing on special teams and 1 practice squad player.

So let's recap. In two drafts he has picked/signed 6 starters performing at a high level, 5 players who have started and are key parts of the rotation, 1 highly talented WR in Kevin White who was starting to break out before an unfortunate injury, and 4 players who are providing solid depth. If Kevin White gets healthy and starts producing like I think he can, these drafts will be considered home runs. Even without him, I would argue that both these drafts are shaping up as very good drafts by any standard but certainly outstanding compared to the standard of futility that the Bears have had in the draft over the last 10-15 years.

He has not done as well in free agency but I would argue he has been above average. Pernell McPhee was the best signing of free agency last year. The guy is a Pro Bowl caliber player and one of the best pass rushers in the league. Last night was his first game back this year and I don't think it's any coincidence that the Bears dominated the defensive line of scrimmage and put strong, consistent pressure on the QB for the first time this year.

Corb- you clearly follow the Bears closer than I, so won't vehemently disagree with your evaluations. However,from my vantage point drafting a player that works his way into a starter role on the squad he inherited should be an expectation. The team he took over was awful.

So six starters in 2 drafts feels far from a Home Run. I admittedly have a hard time watching a complete Bears game, but I didn't see anything that has made me think White was a strong top 10 pick. Starting caliber WR yes, all pro, not seeing that. Grasu really struggled last season, although many said he improved leaps and bounds at camp this year. I like Whitehair pick and Hall seems like a good prospect even if I am not ready yo compare him to Peanut.

I am not saying Pace is doing a terrible job, but I am not yet convinced he is the answer. We can agree to disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT