ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Harbaugh to the Bears?

He's not going anywhere. Fitz will be gone in a couple of years, and NU will sink back to its usual mediocrity. Harbaugh isn't going to put his young wife, little kids and new baby into the meatgrinder of NFL coaching. The fact that his parents have settled down in his compound is more evidence of that. If anyone knows Jim its them - they wouldn't have moved there if he was only marking time. I actually met him a couple of times when he was QB at UM - I was friends with Chris Zurbrugg, who took over for him in 84 after he broke his arm in the MSU game. He loves UM, loves being Bo's heir, and ain't going anywhere, no matter what fans of the teams he beats are dying to believe to make themselves feel better.

He's a tool. I wouldn't want to be in the same room as that slimy worm. The MSU student section had it right with their chant last week.

Fitz will be gone in a couple of years? What a joke. You sound like you are 12 years old with a na na na na with that statement. Go back to your Big Blue board where you can pat each other on the back that your prodigal son has come to revive your fine program despite the bodies that he will eventually leave on the side of the road. You have sunk to PSU levels of hypocrisy.

Last edited:
He's not going anywhere. Fitz will be gone in a couple of years, and NU will sink back to its usual mediocrity. Harbaugh isn't going to put his young wife, little kids and new baby into the meatgrinder of NFL coaching. The fact that his parents have settled down in his compound is more evidence of that. If anyone knows Jim its them - they wouldn't have moved there if he was only marking time. I actually met him a couple of times when he was QB at UM - I was friends with Chris Zurbrugg, who took over for him in 84 after he broke his arm in the MSU game. He loves UM, loves being Bo's heir, and ain't going anywhere, no matter what fans of the teams he beats are dying to believe to make themselves feel better.

The more vehemently you argue about this, the more you show your own insecurity about the issue. I have a sense a lot of Michigan must have a deeply rooted concern about this so they have come up with a laundry list of reasons why he won't eventually leave. Heck, your list of reasons was identical to the reasons another Michigan fan had for why he wouldn't leave. What do you guys do, pacify yourselves by coming up with reasons why he might not leave? Heck, I don't really care either way. I made a speculative post about it more because the Bear fan in me thought it was an intriguing possibility. The fact that two Michigan fans are trolling NU boards and get defensive enough about the issue to respond with multiple posts tells me all I need to know about what Michigan fans think he'll do. The guy's personality is not conducive to sitting still and resting on his laurels. His past track record provides further validation. You guys know very well the he is headed back to the NFL eventually. Whether it's the Bears, Lions, Colts or another team, Harbaugh will be back in the NFL within 2-3 years if not sooner.

Barring a significant improvement from the Bears the rest of the way, Fox is gone. Not sure if you are in the Chicago area, but word is the McCaskeys have hired an outside consultant to review all football operations. They would not be doing that in season unless they were serious about addressing the situation. If Fox does not go 5-3 or better in the second half, I think he is gone.

Regarding Harbaugh, I completely disagree. Harbaugh loves the pro game and the competitor in him can't stand the fact that his brother has won a Super Bowl and he has not. If Harbaugh can take Michigan to the BCS Championship game this year, he will set his sights on a Super Bowl. I also think the Bears and Chicago have a special place in his heart. I also know he has a great relationship with the McCaskeys. If Fox does end up getting fired, there is no doubt in mind that the Bears go after Harbaugh hard.

you have no clue!! Harbaugh isn't going anywhere, try again

Let me guess, a Michigan fan? They said the same things at Stanford. I will say this with confidence, Harbaugh may not leave after this season but he will leave for the right NFL opportunity within the next 2-3 years. The guy is too restless and is always looking for the next challenge. Similar to Saban and Parcells in that way. If he reaches the mountain top at Michigan, he will be looking for his next challenge soon. I am sure it bothers him to no end that his brother has won a Super Bowl and he has not. I also think the 20 hour rule in College is a source of frustration for him. The guy wants to be football 24/7.
Uh, under the CBA, there are limits similar to the 20 hour rule. One thing that is missed is his love for recruiting, which isn't the same in the pros.

Uh, under the CBA, there are limits similar to the 20 hour rule. One thing that is missed is his love for recruiting, which isn't the same in the pros.

Looks like he likes recruiting too much. Then he screws kids over and kicks them to the wayside after they verbal and he finds kids he likes better.

There are limits. They are nowhere near the 20 hour rule.

This is ridiculous. Harbaugh's Dad said the Michigan job as head coach was a dream come true for him. He had always wanted to come back home. He signed for 7 years and $5 million per season to start, and $2M signing bonus. He took less money so that his assistants could be paid more. When he gets bored down the line he might coach the Lions. Urban Meyer might be your next choice? Nick Saban?

I find any of this plausible right now. The Bears are crap right now, in large part due to injury. I don't see the McCaskeys rebooting 3 times in 5 seasons.
It is sort of ridiculous. Bears had crap on the roster after stints of Angello and Emery and difficult to put together a winner with that pile of mung. They had a bunch of players all get old at about the same time. Just beginning to rebuild the roster. I was fairly satisfied with what I saw even with the losses as I could see players up and coming. Not enough yet and they seemed to run out of steam in the second half. Really hard to judge him for another year or two. Right now, only one draft pick prior to 2013 even on the roster (often hurt Jefferies) and only 20 total. I think that includes about 13 in this years and last year classes. Only 3 first rounders on the roster. Long, Floyd, White? Hard to be effective under those circumstances.

Don't think Harbaugh makes the jump to the NFL for at least a few more years, if at all.

Harbaugh loves the college game and being the HC - is the boss and doesn't really have to answer to anyone else (despite the position of AD), unlike in the pro game.

Also, his kids are going to the same school he went to and his parents moved to AA instead of moving close to one of his sister's families.

Bradford and Minny's O haven't looked the same ever since the Vikings lost both of their starting tackles.
Funny how that works.

Barring a significant improvement from the Bears the rest of the way, Fox is gone. Not sure if you are in the Chicago area, but word is the McCaskeys have hired an outside consultant to review all football operations. They would not be doing that in season unless they were serious about addressing the situation. If Fox does not go 5-3 or better in the second half, I think he is gone.

Regarding Harbaugh, I completely disagree. Harbaugh loves the pro game and the competitor in him can't stand the fact that his brother has won a Super Bowl and he has not. If Harbaugh can take Michigan to the BCS Championship game this year, he will set his sights on a Super Bowl. I also think the Bears and Chicago have a special place in his heart. I also know he has a great relationship with the McCaskeys. If Fox does end up getting fired, there is no doubt in mind that the Bears go after Harbaugh hard.
Pretty raw deal for Fox. The roster he inherited was old and pathetic and we are just getting some younger guys in the system. Outside consultant? Isn't that how they hired Angelo?

I have actually been pleased with what I have seen with the Bears this year. No, not with the record but they were not going anywhere anyway. No, I was please with what I saw as player development. They were pretty competitive in most games until later in the second half of games where their lack of depth hurt them. Throw in the injuries and it got even worse. Figured another 1-2 years of higher level drafting and they would start being competitive.

Harbaugh could be reunited w Fangio in Chicago. No question about Fangio's creds. If he has the talent, he'll ruin a solid D, as he did in SF. No matter, York the Dork chased him out of town too.

I would LOVE to see the Bears tear the heart out of the Skunks-on-'roids.

The McCaskeys get a raw deal in my opinion. The reputation of being stingy is completely unwarranted if you look at how they have spent money on players/coaches over the last 10-15 years. They also have very little to do with running the team on a day to day basis. Jim Phillips handles Business Operations, Ryan Pace handles football operations and John Fox is the coach. I have no problem with Phillips and think Pace has done a very good job of improving the talent on the roster from top to bottom since he started although they still have a ways to go. I was never overjoyed with the choice of Fox as the Head Coach but have kept an open mind. Ultimately the record they have to date is unacceptable and the fault for that rests on Fox. Even when you consider the injuries, this team has significantly more talent than the Bears had last year. They managed to win 6 games last year and therefore I think Fox has to show progress in order to convince that the Bears they are on the right path. If he doesn't win 7-8 games this year, I think Fox is out.
Sorry but I have to disagree. That they finally might have done something right does not excuse 25-30 years of mostly crap that Bear fans have had to put up with.

Not saying they are cheap but they really have not spent money well. Sort of like the Cubs under previous management.

Instead of firing Fox, the Bears desperately need new ownership. Actually you can fire Fox too if that makes you feel better. But good, sound leadership always starts at the very top of an organization, and in my opinion, the Bears are sorely lacking in that department. Look what an involved, non-stingy owner has done for the Cubs - both in the front office, and on the field.

A Ricketts type owner could, and would, turn a moribund franchise around. It only took Theo Epstein, and 4 years for the Cubs.
Money is being spent. Just not wisely. Ricketts is good not because he spent a lot of money but because he brought the right people in who had a plan that they have executed well. Yes money was spent when appropriate but it was more the people he brought in and the plan they put together and executed..

Pretty raw deal for Fox. The roster he inherited was old and pathetic and we are just getting some younger guys in the system. Outside consultant? Isn't that how they hired Angelo?

I have actually been pleased with what I have seen with the Bears this year. No, not with the record but they were not going anywhere anyway. No, I was please with what I saw as player development. They were pretty competitive in most games until later in the second half of games where their lack of depth hurt them. Throw in the injuries and it got even worse. Figured another 1-2 years of higher level drafting and they would start being competitive.
I think the reason Fox is under the microscope is because at this point the team seems to have regressed relative to last year. Everyone knows the roster is getting rebuilt but unquestionably they have more talent than last year and therefore I believe it is fair to expect Fox to lead the team to more than 6 wins. The McCaskeys feel a sense of urgency to make this team competitive again and therefore I have no doubt that Fox's job is on the line if this team does not progress from last year.

It is sort of ridiculous. Bears had crap on the roster after stints of Angello and Emery and difficult to put together a winner with that pile of mung. They had a bunch of players all get old at about the same time. Just beginning to rebuild the roster. I was fairly satisfied with what I saw even with the losses as I could see players up and coming. Not enough yet and they seemed to run out of steam in the second half. Really hard to judge him for another year or two. Right now, only one draft pick prior to 2013 even on the roster (often hurt Jefferies) and only 20 total. I think that includes about 13 in this years and last year classes. Only 3 first rounders on the roster. Long, Floyd, White? Hard to be effective under those circumstances.
It can only get better. Whitehair looks like a future All-Pro guard or center, and Floyd is showing real promise. But that secondary looks like a bunch of "guys" and the receiver corps looks to lose its best player next year when I think Jeffrey walks.

Am I misguided in blaming the Bears owners for that monstrosity on the lake? It's not so much the garish architecture of Soldier Field II, it's the fact that we missed a huge opportunity by not building a domed indoor stadium that would attract a Super Bowl, B1G Championship game, bowl game, Final Four to our great city in the depths of winter.
Sort of. That was the city of Chicago. The Bears used leverage to get the city to pony up but they were not fixed on that location, etc. That was Daley.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I think the reason Fox is under the microscope is because at this point the team seems to have regressed relative to last year. Everyone knows the roster is getting rebuilt but unquestionably they have more talent than last year and therefore I believe it is fair to expect Fox to lead the team to more than 6 wins. The McCaskeys feel a sense of urgency to make this team competitive again and therefore I have no doubt that Fox's job is on the line if this team does not progress from last year.
That talent is young, inexperienced and lacks depth. That plus injuries is why their record is what it is, not Fox coaching. That young talent is starting to get experience and it is starting to show. It is sort of like the Cubs hundred loss seasons leading to what we see today. Have to tear it down first.

. He signed for 7 years and $5 million per season to start, and $2M signing bonus. He took less money so that his assistants could be paid more.

Try $9 Million per according to most sources. His deal is the largest in the NCAA which is what makes this move to the Bears more unlikely, though not impossible.

How much would the Bears need to pay to get him away from Michigan? And would they be willing? Shouldn't guys like Saban, and Belichik be setting the pace when it comes to pay? This guy deserves props for selling himself...

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Regarding an earlier post that mentioned the Harvard business professor McCaskey. I remember in the late 90's when he smirked at a reporter's question that indicated the Bears were some years distant from competing. "Americans are impatient," was his reply. Which I guess means the Bears would be doing great if they were based in Antwerp.

Two weeks ago at a family gathering the plight of the Bears came up in one corner of the room. I was bemoaning the fact that they were horribly run (which is a different complaint than whether or not they are cheap with the cash). In our small group was someone who has dealings with the organization. He told us that the kids have no interest in running the franchise and would like to unload it. They'd like access to the money now (similar to the Pritzkers). He went on to say that in the last 18 months a deal was in the works at a very early stage.

I offer this up because it might be possible that the assessment underway on the team could have more to do with selling the team than getting rid of any personnel.

Harbaugh tends to wear out his welcome in three or four years -- he was head coach at USD for three seasons, Stanford for four, and the 49ers for four. While he's won football games everywhere he's been, his personality can be a little...uh... tiresome.

While his status as a "Michigan Man" probably earns him some additional leeway at UM that he hasn't had elsewhere (and beating OSU will always be good for job security at UM), I wouldn't be at all shocked if he started wearing out his welcome at UM after four or five years at least enough that he starts eyeing possible NFL jobs.

He has better talent than last year and he is 2-6. I have not been enamored with Fox and think, just like the Cubs, they may need a new coach at some point soon to take them from point B forward.

Last edited:
My guess the only impediment is Papa Bears daughter, Virginia, does not want to be the one to sell her Dad's team. The kids would be smart to sell soon. The Bears could fetch $1.5-$2.0 Billion and I think now is a time of peak value for the Bears and the NFL overall. The whole concussion/safety issue is an underestimated liability and will necessitate changes that will make the sport less popular in the future. Look at Harris walking away from a high paying NFL career because of long term health issues. Ten years ago that would have been unheard of.

you have no clue!! Harbaugh isn't going anywhere, try again
How long has Jimmy boy stayed at any place? He's a short timer. Does he still us the Mickey Mouse classes, that he previously criticized to keep the players eligible?

The standard for bad family ownership, is in Santa Clara, named York. Zero chance of a sale.

Bears fans don't know what trouble is. Worse than Al Davis in his senility, worse than some 30 years of the Bidwell family before they started hiring outside the family, worse than Dan Snyder.

He has better talent than last year and he is 2-6. I have not been enamored with Fox and think, just like the Cubs, they may need a new coach at some point soon to take them from point B forward.
He has some additional talent but it is young and raw. It is being developed but there is not yet enough of it. Some od it is just starting to come on. For example, Floyd was no where to be seen until the last couple weeks Jordan Thomas is getting better as we watch. White was before the injury as well. So while there is beginning to be more talent, it is not ready for prime time yet and we need more of it. And look at one of the losses. Forte was a security blanket that was not there. JT looks like he will be good but that does not mean he was ready to fill Forte shoes from day one.

Just saying he deserves one more year, at least.

Last edited:
Trevathan, Freeman, Hicks, Sitton and Bobbie Massie. Those are five experienced, high caliber starters that are head and shoulders above what he had last year. Fox was brought in specifically for his track record to turnaround a team quickly. If he is unable to match or exceed last year's record despite the upgrade in talent, you have to question if he is the right guy especially when you consider that his in game management abilities have been really questionable in my opinion. I think the Bears will end up winning 7-8 games this year so the issue is mute but I do have some real concerns about Fox. The Cubs walked away from Dale Sveum after two years because they realized he wasn't getting it done developing the young talent and John Elway fired Fox from Denver for similar reasons. Is it a coincidence that Denver ended up winning a Super Bowl the year after Fox was fired?

He has some additional talent but it is young and raw. It is being developed but there is not yet enough of it. Some od it is just starting to come on. For example, Floyd was no where to be seen until the last couple weeks Jordan Thomas is getting better as we watch. White was before the injury as well. So while there is beginning to be more talent, it is not ready for prime time yet and we need more of it. And look at one of the losses. Forte was a security blanket that was not there. JT looks like he will be good but that does not mean he was ready to fill Forte shoes from day one.

Just saying he deserves one more year, at least.

I think you mean Jordan Howard.

Jordan Thomas keeps getting in trouble at Oklahoma.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT