ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hernandez Had Severe CTE

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Explains a lot.

The examination of Hernandez’s brain showed “early brain atrophy and large perforations in the septum pellucidum, a central membrane,” the center announced in a release.

Jose Baez, a lawyer for Hernandez, said researches determined the CTE was “the most severe case they had ever seen in someone of Aaron’s age (27)."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...uicide-murder-new-england-patriots/690651001/

I dunno, every year I play a golf outing with NFL veterans who are between 45 and 70 and they are all fine, most in great shape physically and mentally, yes some have arthritic knees like everybody else and typical stuff but overall, they are at least as healthy as the overall population.
I recognize my group is a small sample size but they seem to think privately, most guys are OK but there's a lot of money potentially at stake.
Additionally, these are guys who don't smoke anymore, don't take drugs, aren't alcoholics, seem to have healthy lifestyles ,probably don't have STDS, etc. etc.
So the rest of the population seems to have an Alzheimer's epidemic but any footballer who gets sick , it's because he had concussions?
More research is needed.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-07-outcomes-life-high-school-football.html

Thank you, Lefty...I played all through high school and NU, graduating in the early 90's. I know so many guys that played for so long between teammates and opponents. I am not saying they are not out there, but I don't know anyone in our age group suffering from these symptoms. Serious question...Is CTE only caused by trauma to the brain? Can the guy who never did anything wind up with CTE? Can CTE be caused by years of something as simple as sprinting? I guess I am happier not knowing so I have not done much to learn.

We must also keep in mind that this is Hernandez's lawyers that are building up this CTE stuff. They obviously have an agenda.

I have read that identical traumatic impacts will have different effects on different individuals over time. Something to do with anatomical variations and genetic predisposition. Any neuro guys want to chime in?

Thank you, Lefty...I played all through high school and NU, graduating in the early 90's. I know so many guys that played for so long between teammates and opponents. I am not saying they are not out there, but I don't know anyone in our age group suffering from these symptoms. Serious question...Is CTE only caused by trauma to the brain? Can the guy who never did anything wind up with CTE? Can CTE be caused by years of something as simple as sprinting? I guess I am happier not knowing so I have not done much to learn.
A hug question would seem to be whether the problem is extension of playing time into the pros. If it is a matter of cumulative hits etc. All we have heard of is ex NFL players. Not of ex college players being affected. Pro season is 20 games and practice getting to all year long. Plus they extend the hits by another 5-10 years. And the hits are generally harder. So is it the extension into the pros that is the problem?

Who, Dave Dureson, Junior Seau, mike Webster, Andre waters?
I can name two: Hernandez and OJ Simpson.

The doctor whom the movie "Concussion" was based upon was quoted saying he would wager his career that OJ has CTE, but it can't be confirmed until the person dies and the brain can be examined.

This is the most serious and important, personal question I think I have ever read in the board. It deserves some serious consideration.

To me, taking targeting out of the equation and unnecessary roughness too , has solved many of the problems.
Shorter practice times, coaches who know they can't get away with the stuff they used to, etc.
Think the problem will be somewhat if not mostly mitigated and players will be healthier.

I can name two: Hernandez and OJ Simpson.

The doctor whom the movie "Concussion" was based upon was quoted saying he would wager his career that OJ has CTE, but it can't be confirmed until the person dies and the brain can be examined.
Go ahead

To me, taking targeting out of the equation and unnecessary roughness too , has solved many of the problems.
Shorter practice times, coaches who know they can't get away with the stuff they used to, etc.
Think the problem will be somewhat if not mostly mitigated and players will be healthier.
There is probably more that can be done but I agree that some of the steps that have been taken will prove to be effective. It would be irresponsible to think we are done but on balance if there can be continued vigilance the positives of college football can out way the negatives IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT