ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Horses Don’t Belong in the Olympics

CaliforniaCat

Sep 6, 2001
I haven’t been watching the Olympics and couldn’t care less about the people participating in it. But I do care about the horses that are not there voluntarily and might be severely stress with it.

In the women’s pentathlon one event is jumping using the horses provided by the Olympics. There are 20 horses trained for the event and assigned to the riders randomly.

One horse didn’t jump when he was supposed to and cost the rider a gold metal. She ended up crying over it and the coach ended up hitting the horse. As a result the coach was suspended and rightly so.

The rider is also accused of over-whipping the horse, so she really got what she deserved. I have no sympathy at all for her losing.

This is a terrible and unnecessary event that needs to be eliminated in the future.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olymp...ended-for-striking-horse-that-refused-to-jump

Hungry Jack started a thread about this very topic on the Other Sports board. He had some interesting thoughts. Check it out. Mods might want to move this there.

So it would all be good if we paid the horses money instead.
I think if the compensation was reasonable enough for the strain they take then we could make a deal.

Quick question for @CaliforniaCat : I wonder if we could make a new Olympic event for birds. Maybe have them fly through an obstacle course of windmills and see who can do it the fastest? Would that be better than the equestrian events?

I think if the compensation was reasonable enough for the strain they take then we could make a deal.

Quick question for @CaliforniaCat : I wonder if we could make a new Olympic event for birds. Maybe have them fly through an obstacle course of windmills and see who can do it the fastest? Would that be better than the equestrian events?
Your lack of concern for the horses speaks volumes about you as a person and your values.

The subject here is physical abuse of a living thing. Specifically the abuse of a defenseless and innocent animal.

If you want to start a political discussion of human interactions please do so on the Rant board where it belongs.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: willycat
I asked first…
Frankly I don't see much value in continuing to deal with CatManTrue on this issue. He knew exactly what I meant when I was talking about animals. The context was completely clear and didn't include humans.

But I backed him into a corner and he had no other way to get out other than try to squirm somehow with his ridiculous post. So you can continue if you want, but I think he has already been well defeated.

Frankly I don't see much value in continuing to deal with CatManTrue on this issue. He knew exactly what I meant when I was talking about animals. The context was completely clear and didn't include humans.

But I backed him into a corner and he had no other way to get out other than try to squirm somehow with his ridiculous post. So you can continue if you want, but I think he has already been well defeated.

Agreed! lol

Just when you thought you had me on the ropes…
I escaped to wrassle another day!

dc4e9e75b821a756e4fc1efb43db03b9.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT