ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I’m not the only one who watched a ton of Olympics, right?

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
Great gold medal hoops games.
Simone was remarkable and Ledecky remained unchallenged and the bespectacled pommel horse guy was awesome.

Track is great every night, with great Americans but also great Dutch and Botswanans and everyone else.

And Breaking was Breaking, and we’ll all miss it.

We can only hope Flea remains the avatar for LA for the next four years. Snoop was great. Dre was better. We can only hope they remember Los Lobos and perhaps even a little Bakersfield country in ‘28.

The HOLLYWOOD sign with bonus rings is a little cheesy, but LA is missing a focal point like the Eiffel Tower.

Best Olympics of my lifetime.

Simone was remarkable and Ledecky remained unchallenged and the bespectacled pommel horse guy was awesome.

Track is great every night, with great Americans but also great Dutch and Botswanans and everyone else.

We can only hope Flea remains the avatar for LA for the next four years. Snoop was great. Dre was better. We can only hope they remember Los Lobos and perhaps even a little Bakersfield country in ‘28.

The HOLLYWOOD sign with bonus rings is a little cheesy, but LA is missing a focal point like the Eiffel Tower.

The In-N-Out logo would really be cheesy.

• Love
Reactions: NUCat320
I probably watched more than I have in recent years outside of Phelps/Bolt exploits in their peak years.

Lots of great/competitive matches/events. Incredible moments almost every day.

So much fun. My kids and I watched the NBC prime time show every night. They were as engrossed as I was as a ten year old back in 1984 watching the LA Olympics. We loved seeing Simone Biles winning gold again (along with one silver). We live near her gym, and our kids have attended summer camps (non-gymnastics) there in the past.

I thought of NU football with the temporary stadiums (stadii?) constructed for multiple events. The Olympics has become smarter in its focus on keeping costs down. Only one new permanent facility was constructed for the Paris games (the aquatics center), and I read that LA won't be constructing any new permanent facilities.

For all the NBA haters out there, here are some Steph Curry highlights from the gold medal game.

We enjoyed watching the Paris games and other Olympics where you learn about the host country.

I look forward to the LA games with less excitement. The handoff programming of yesterday’s closing ceremonies was less than inspiring. First, a visibly aged Tom Cruise takes the lead role, followed by visibly aged (and sadly less-than-fully clothed) Red Hot Chili Peppers, then the well-worn Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre (joined by the obligatory female twerking hip-hop dancer)?

At least Billie Eilish brought some youth and class. I shut it off before what I expected next: [REDACTED].

We recently learned about the Senior Olympics. Maybe that is what is taking place in LA?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
I doubt parents will be able to let their children watch the opening ceremonies in LA. Even a handoff from Paris involved twerking, etc.

• Sad
Reactions: CMcCat
We enjoyed watching the Paris games and other Olympics where you learn about the host country.

I look forward to the LA games with less excitement. The handoff programming of yesterday’s closing ceremonies was less than inspiring. First, a visibly aged Tom Cruise takes the lead role, followed by visibly aged (and sadly less-than-fully clothed) Red Hot Chili Peppers, then the well-worn Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre (joined by the obligatory female twerking hip-hop dancer)?

At least Billie Eilish brought some youth and class. I shut it off before what I expected next: [REDACTED].

We recently learned about the Senior Olympics. Maybe that is what is taking place in LA?
Haha. Who can guess what I expected next?!?

I enjoyed track & field, cycling, basketball, gymnastics- couldn’t quite get into all the swimming events. Agree about the Chinese divers. Paris was a great backdrop for the games. Surfing venue was beautiful. The 2024 Summer games were a real classic this time. I’m going thru withdrawal after staying up late watching the events the last 2 weeks.

It will be interesting to see if any 2028 Summer Olympic events are held south of LA in my area. So many nice surfing spots in SoCal, including San Diego.

Reactions: No Chores
NBC showed beach volleyball endlessly. Good looking, fit young people in bathing suits jumping around has an appeal but even that has limits. After watching a few points you pretty much have down the extent of the sport's skills and complexity. I just don't get the attraction for fans outside the aesthetics.

Reactions: WestCoastWildcat
Well I'll be. Didn't see a peep about any of it. Totally slipped my mind til I made that post. Thank you for the correction.

USA Boxing is an embarrassment. Long gone are the days of Cassius Clay, Sugar Ray, the Spinks brothers, Holyfield, Mark Breland, ODH and Sweet Pea. 😕

Track & Field has always been my favorite Olympic sport. Loved seeing Cole Hocker blow past the feuding Ingebrigsten and Kerr to snatch the gold in the 1500m in American record time. That was an amazing race. Grant Fisher showed great resolve and talent in capturing bronze in both the 5000 and the 10,000m races - stamping his place as one of the best ever for US distance running. And who could not be in awe of the golden haired 800m women’s champ from Great Britain, who topped her silver in Tokyo with a gold in Paris? There were so many outstanding performances for both the men and the women.

Track & Field has always been my favorite Olympic sport. Loved seeing Cole Hocker blow past the feuding Ingebrigsten and Kerr to snatch the gold in the 1500m in American record time. That was an amazing race. Grant Fisher showed great resolve and talent in capturing bronze in both the 5000 and the 10,000m races - stamping his place as one of the best ever for US distance running. And who could not be in awe of the golden haired 800m women’s champ from Great Britain, who topped her silver in Tokyo with a gold in Paris? There were so many outstanding performances for both the men and the women.

The fastest men in the world mishandle a baton was painful to watch.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I'm with you! My personal favorite was Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone, who has not lost a 400 meter hurdles race since 2019. Since that time she has broken the world record in the event 6 times. Of course she won Olympic gold in the event, as well as Olympic gold in the 4 by 400 relay, where gave her team a lead which was insurmountable.

Last edited:
I didn't see one second of the Olympics and have no idea of anything that happened. Who won the high jump? How high?

I didn't see one second of the Olympics and have no idea of anything that happened. Who won the high jump? How high?
Hamish Kerr of NZ beat Shelby McEwen of the US in a dramatic jump off in 2.34m or 7’8”. They had the option of sharing the gold but McEwen decided to go to the jump off.

Last edited:
Thanks! I've never seen a jump off. That's pretty exciting. Tremendous final jump as well. He was the better jumper. It looks like it will be a while before Javier Sotomayor's record is broken.

Did anybody catch the women’s basketball game against Nigeria? I missed it but wondered how Pallas Kunaiyi-Akpannah did

I didn’t watch any Olympics. You are on your own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT