ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Illinnoy wins 4 in a row

Very true. I guarantee Fitz trots the same staff out next year, so the problems will continue.
I know most here think he won’t make a change, but I think he will. Even if it isn’t primarily McCalls fault the narrative around standing pat after a 2-10 season will kill us in bringing in recruiting. I think he also understands that this current approach is dependent on excellent execution, exceptional QB’s, a defense that produces turnovers, and strong special teams. It will take all 4 and that rarely happens. So catch lightening in a bottle once a decade or adapt. If his goal is truly to win championships, he has no choice. No way I see McCalls offense getting any better than average with everything clicking. That’s not good enough. The entire B1G knows what we do. Eventually these coaches are good enough to make you do something different. We are not OSU. This is not a difficult decision.

Reactions: Titanium999
I know most here think he won’t make a change, but I think he will. Even if it isn’t primarily McCalls fault the narrative around standing pat after a 2-10 season will kill us in bringing in recruiting. I think he also understands that this current approach is dependent on excellent execution, exceptional QB’s, a defense that produces turnovers, and strong special teams. It will take all 4 and that rarely happens. So catch lightening in a bottle once a decade or adapt. If his goal is truly to win championships, he has no choice. No way I see McCalls offense getting any better than average with everything clicking. That’s not good enough. The entire B1G knows what we do. Eventually these coaches are good enough to make you do something different. We are not OSU. This is not a difficult decision.
I hope so, as something needs to change. For 5M a year tough decisions need to be made. NU has invested in the program, now it's time to deliver.

Reactions: drewjin
Transfers have improved Illinois at QB WR defense
Grad transfers. Did not have to sit out. Three from Southern Cal (all three were starters but two injured and not currently playing but good players. All three with with two years to play). One from Michigan (quarterback) with two years. One from Alabama (offensive line. Richie Petitbon’s son).

These aren’t transfers with academic issues. All five college grads from good schools.

Grad transfers. Did not have to sit out. Three from Southern Cal (all three were starters but two injured and not currently playing but good players. All three with with two years to play). One from Michigan (quarterback) with two years. One from Alabama (offensive line. Richie Petitbon’s son).

These aren’t transfers with academic issues. All five college grads from good schools.
They saved his job. Good for him and ultimately good for us because college football is about recruiting and development and you can only survive on grad transfers to plug holes for so long.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT