ADVERTISEMENT

OT: International Holocaust Day as a Day of Reflection

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
At least relevant to this being the "FloridAlum Memorial Football Board" hopefully this is apropos.

Inasmuch as Friday was International Holocaust Day, here is a photo I took at the Dachau Concentration Camp outside of Munich which identifies where Barracks #13 once stood. On last night's news, the local Rabbi instructed that this is intended to be a day not only of remembrance, but also a day of reflection.

XW4vKlskILlIX5bRs1uWEUxnsgfmJJ3rxNc2HiX2scz-qkts8P-UcvoPX1_oitgAVkAHgtXak_HGslytZip8jJRL0dYIENj53FPuO7r1nNY3Eruebn5tJogtmKp8tOSd50zmuVibYSM5Sw=s0-d-e1-ft

And this was Maria's room inside the vonTrapp family home in Salzburg, Austria which the Nazis subsequently occupied. Heinrich Himmler, mastermind of "The Final Solution" [exterminating the Jews], resided here, as his summer home, where it is believed he plotted the course of action that led to the Holocaust. Hitler also spent time at the former Von Trapp Villa on visits to Austria.

cnD7Cc2Z_5DTQDaBAWxJdoCgkdhkGcRnLoHd-l_MWtQdpA8A01PvVvfJ6qQqqCmNxeTg5rUAYaSJJeTbQNn_fm-U0FDlNmnw3JlP8uwChzHI1Ga148nNHrnbRzwaLZh50tX_QI6cMiHm_m7Awg=s0-d-e1-ft

And here I stand in the house's courtyard where, in the morning, Hitler reportedly had men executed for singing a Russian folk song while he slept on an upper floor.

dvSdfYoRAFRBek9yWW2wxlYaWCIc0d1GCRHOIVuqu6Reqh7Pnp4e4dlW2WLAXZvAvXZmE6krOKsAMJuBOMVcaCaaWEn4_3aRwWZ5Y76xJMCD0Xoh8yrC5jx1vvxVUJgPtYcMuD1u2PZGXnyfyg=s0-d-e1-ft

The white walls, which can partially be seen through the trees, surround the compound and were added by Himmler using conscripted labor. Upon the walls' completion the laborers were executed as a security measure.

JLJadoaDhB-7JhIMvvyd0riJopjc3zbl_OYzjS0Haxxx4Bs23pT0dqmCaDrUeTj13mc-pxU1w4uCKYKhl6momTdUmRxvi_wK9KR2PAKGlp_BXyuaJ6qFui83tp4MM1CT-ZnfnrPOEFrlSUbo-WjartqapOrbSQ=s0-d-e1-ft

ABBnbaDGK-5gaW0YF3utic4Sg7zcdW5VcWNBmwXSjCh6RQ_orrlCiKu4oY8EF0rklPLmo66A-wHrMsN3yC86NjVGFctp95dUFaxZLdZzMd3vrsy5eitppgQF3uWQDavdmV8iG3wOdsM00orj3g=s0-d-e1-ft

At least relevant to this being the "FloridAlum Memorial Football Board" hopefully this is apropos.

Inasmuch as Friday was International Holocaust Day, here is a photo I took at the Dachau Concentration Camp outside of Munich which identifies where Barracks #13 once stood. On last night's news, the local Rabbi instructed that this is intended to be a day not only of remembrance, but also a day of reflection.

XW4vKlskILlIX5bRs1uWEUxnsgfmJJ3rxNc2HiX2scz-qkts8P-UcvoPX1_oitgAVkAHgtXak_HGslytZip8jJRL0dYIENj53FPuO7r1nNY3Eruebn5tJogtmKp8tOSd50zmuVibYSM5Sw=s0-d-e1-ft

And this was Maria's room inside the vonTrapp family home in Salzburg, Austria which the Nazis subsequently occupied. Heinrich Himmler, mastermind of "The Final Solution" [exterminating the Jews], resided here, as his summer home, where it is believed he plotted the course of action that led to the Holocaust. Hitler also spent time at the former Von Trapp Villa on visits to Austria.

cnD7Cc2Z_5DTQDaBAWxJdoCgkdhkGcRnLoHd-l_MWtQdpA8A01PvVvfJ6qQqqCmNxeTg5rUAYaSJJeTbQNn_fm-U0FDlNmnw3JlP8uwChzHI1Ga148nNHrnbRzwaLZh50tX_QI6cMiHm_m7Awg=s0-d-e1-ft

And here I stand in the house's courtyard where, in the morning, Hitler reportedly had men executed for singing a Russian folk song while he slept on an upper floor.

dvSdfYoRAFRBek9yWW2wxlYaWCIc0d1GCRHOIVuqu6Reqh7Pnp4e4dlW2WLAXZvAvXZmE6krOKsAMJuBOMVcaCaaWEn4_3aRwWZ5Y76xJMCD0Xoh8yrC5jx1vvxVUJgPtYcMuD1u2PZGXnyfyg=s0-d-e1-ft

The white walls, which can partially be seen through the trees, surround the compound and were added by Himmler using conscripted labor. Upon the walls' completion the laborers were executed as a security measure.

JLJadoaDhB-7JhIMvvyd0riJopjc3zbl_OYzjS0Haxxx4Bs23pT0dqmCaDrUeTj13mc-pxU1w4uCKYKhl6momTdUmRxvi_wK9KR2PAKGlp_BXyuaJ6qFui83tp4MM1CT-ZnfnrPOEFrlSUbo-WjartqapOrbSQ=s0-d-e1-ft

ABBnbaDGK-5gaW0YF3utic4Sg7zcdW5VcWNBmwXSjCh6RQ_orrlCiKu4oY8EF0rklPLmo66A-wHrMsN3yC86NjVGFctp95dUFaxZLdZzMd3vrsy5eitppgQF3uWQDavdmV8iG3wOdsM00orj3g=s0-d-e1-ft
Never forget.

The Illinois Holocaust Museum in Skokie, minutes from NU, is a great resource..
When I taught history, the museum sent us a speaker for several years. He was at D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge, He was there when they liberated Buchenwald where he took that famous picture of a young Elie Wiesel in his bunk. Years later, Weisel encouraged the man to give presentations because Weisel told him, “There are people who are claiming it never happened.“ As if this wasn't enough, this gentleman also served as a prison guard at the Nuremberg Trials.

The thing I remember most clearly about him was his air of authority. He was in his 80’s. Naturally, one of our idiot kids started screwing around. This frail old man glared at the kid and told him to knock it off. The kid went white and immediately obeyed.

Geez, I wish I could remember the man’s name.
Oh, one more thing. Another teacher, probably because he was a little intimidated by this hero, told me to ask the man if there was a video of his presentation which I did. He growled at me, “Why? So you'll have it after I'm dead?“ I went white and knocked it off.

Reactions: loyolacat
Almost my dads WWII blueprint. D-Day, Battle of the Bulge and in Germany when the war ended. and I also would get speakers from the Museum every year. In this day of social media where you say what ya want w/o thought of repercussions having someone face to face is so much more impactful and going to the Museum,,,some of the exhibits and images just stop you cold and cut right through the bs. I often think about the amount of time we have for leisure activities and fill it with sports compared to learning about the issues of the day.....or maybe we learn about the issues of the day and then need sports to get our minds off what we just learned:(

When I taught history, the museum sent us a speaker for several years. He was at D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge, He was there when they liberated Buchenwald where he took that famous picture of a young Elie Wiesel in his bunk. Years later, Weisel encouraged the man to give presentations because Weisel told him, “There are people who are claiming it never happened.“ As if this wasn't enough, this gentleman also served as a prison guard at the Nuremberg Trials.

The thing I remember most clearly about him was his air of authority. He was in his 80’s. Naturally, one of our idiot kids started screwing around. This frail old man glared at the kid and told him to knock it off. The kid went white and immediately obeyed.

Geez, I wish I could remember the man’s name.
Oh, one more thing. Another teacher, probably because he was a little intimidated by this hero, told me to ask the man if there was a video of his presentation which I did. He growled at me, “Why? So you'll have it after I'm dead?“ I went white and knocked it off.

Thanks for sharing that regarding the soldier who was there at the liberation of Buchenwald Concentration Camp. I am curious if he may have been in the same unit as my uncle who was also there for the liberation of Buchenwald.

Here is the account my uncle shared with me as I had relayed it on to my children in an email to them at the time of my meeting with him, some years ago:

"Uncle Paul, my dad's brother, stated to me when I met with him last month while visiting Elko, Nevada, that he still has nightmares of the suffering he saw at Buchenwald. Until recent years he was unable to discuss various of his World War II experiences, particularly with regard to the conditions he came upon with the liberation of the Nazi Concentration Camp at Buchenwald.

He described to me his experience at the first concentration camp liberated by the Americans just north of Dachau at Buchenwald. He recounted as he and his fellow soldiers entered the camp the ovens were still burning and there were piles of bodies with little other than flesh and bones stacked near the ovens.

He described the bunks in the barracks with individuals so weak they could not move. He talked about the stench and deplorable conditions as well as their efforts to give water to the survivors from their canteens and offer them morsels of food. He said the look in their eyes made it all worth it as horrible as the experience was otherwise.

He described finding the mallet like club used to knock teeth out of the bodies at the crematorium, the pile of ashes and bones nearby. He described the lampshades made from tatooed human skin that Ilse Koch, wife of one of the camp's commanders, had had made and who was otherwise known as the Witch of Buchenwald."

Thanks for sharing that regarding the soldier who was there at the liberation of Buchenwald Concentration Camp. I am curious if he may have been in the same unit as my uncle who was also there for the liberation of Buchenwald.

Here is the account my uncle shared with me as I had relayed it on to my children in an email to them at the time of my meeting with him, some years ago:

"Uncle Paul, my dad's brother, stated to me when I met with him last month while visiting Elko, Nevada, that he still has nightmares of the suffering he saw at Buchenwald. Until recent years he was unable to discuss various of his World War II experiences, particularly with regard to the conditions he came upon with the liberation of the Nazi Concentration Camp at Buchenwald.

He described to me his experience at the first concentration camp liberated by the Americans just north of Dachau at Buchenwald. He recounted as he and his fellow soldiers entered the camp the ovens were still burning and there were piles of bodies with little other than flesh and bones stacked near the ovens.

He described the bunks in the barracks with individuals so weak they could not move. He talked about the stench and deplorable conditions as well as their efforts to give water to the survivors from their canteens and offer them morsels of food. He said the look in their eyes made it all worth it as horrible as the experience was otherwise.

He described finding the mallet like club used to knock teeth out of the bodies at the crematorium, the pile of ashes and bones nearby. He described the lampshades made from tatooed human skin that Ilse Koch, wife of one of the camp's commanders, had had made and who was otherwise known as the Witch of Buchenwald."
Thanks, Alaska. Uncle Paul, another one of our heroes.

So much suffering. The inconceivable horror which the Jews endured. Horrors so ghastly that those who ended the terror also suffered just from being witnesses.

I've been trying to find the name of the man whom I had the honor to meet. Not succesful yet. Anyway, he recounted the nightmares he had for years about the atrocities he had witnessed at Buchenwald as well as the other trials of war. He told Elie Wiesel that he just couldn't talk about his experiences. Wiesel told him, “You must.“

And so he started doing his presentations. He said that once he started speaking, the nightmares ended.

I'm sure that he has now gone to his well-earned reward. May God reward him and all of our heroes richly.

Almost my dads WWII blueprint. D-Day, Battle of the Bulge and in Germany when the war ended. and I also would get speakers from the Museum every year. In this day of social media where you say what ya want w/o thought of repercussions having someone face to face is so much more impactful and going to the Museum,,,some of the exhibits and images just stop you cold and cut right through the bs. I often think about the amount of time we have for leisure activities and fill it with sports compared to learning about the issues of the day.....or maybe we learn about the issues of the day and then need sports to get our minds off what we just learned:(
I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't visited the museum yet. I will rectify that soon.

I won't like this post although certainly appreciate it. Especially given the ethnic hatreds now being stoked in our own country.

Yeah, I'm sobering to see reminders like barracks, and I want to be vigilant against hate and discrimination in our times. My dad and grandfather also had an incredible experience during WWII. I keep his stuff as a reminder of his bravery and sacrifice. And I understand what loyolacat user means about balancing leisure activities and staying informed about current issues. It is still challenging for me to find that balance... Just let's keep good intentions, people. Essays and research help me become more mindful and aware of the Holocaust. On https://edubirdie.com/examples/holocaust/ there are a lot of valuable and informative texts. So these papers keep my mind clear and conscious about my future decisions and priorities based on historical stuff about such cruelest that happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT