ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lawrence

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Man, I can see why Hunter Johnson transferred. Dude is really good.

And Hunter was higher rated by 247 than Tua. Just sayin'.

I was just thinking the same thing. Unreal poise for a true freshman. More than 13,000 yards and 161 TDs in high school? That's just unreal. If Hunter is 85 percent of him, NU is in good shape.

I read he was considered the best talent since Andrew Luck. Teams will tank for him.

Is it a stretch to think he’d be a first round pick if he left right now? First QB off the board? Ridiculous arm talent.
Not too much of a stretch, but whenever he is in the draft, he'll be 1st overall no doubt.

"Tank for Trevor" will be a thing; he's got the complete package like Elway or Peyton; those types of guys don't come around that often...

And Hunter's not that far behind him...; we got a special one.

In this draft, not a stretch.
Yeah... first round??? I’m pretty sure he would be #1 if he were draft eligible this year. Maybe Haskins but I’d personally take Lawrence. Unless Arizona sees some great edge rusher or whatever that they think is worth more than the bounty of picks they can get from trading down out of the #1 slot to a team that needs a QB.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
First pick.

Agree he'd be first pick. You pick based on potential and he's already more polished than some of the first rounders from last year like Josh Allen. That said, NFL receivers won't be that open so it's tough to predict QBs in the NFL.

Agree he'd be first pick. You pick based on potential and he's already more polished than some of the first rounders from last year like Josh Allen. That said, NFL receivers won't be that open so it's tough to predict QBs in the NFL.

He’s not going to be surprised by NFL speed after playing at Clemson and he has every tool you want in a modern-day QB.

He would be the first pick in the 2019 draft if he were eligible.

Reactions: Titanium999
Running the QB draw up 4 scores under 4 mins with your superstar QB seems a bit dumb.

Running the QB draw up 4 scores under 4 mins with your superstar QB seems a bit dumb.

Plenty of time to rest up.

Given the history, kind of feels like Dabo is playing mind games with Bama for next year’s seemingly inevitable matchup.

He’s not going to be surprised by NFL speed after playing at Clemson and he has every tool you want in a modern-day QB.

He would be the first pick in the 2019 draft if he were eligible.

Not by WR speed but in the NFL they won’t dominate DBs the way Clemson does in college. Every throw will be tighter. But of course I’d pick him first overall.

Not by WR speed but in the NFL they won’t dominate DBs the way Clemson does in college. Every throw will be tighter. But of course I’d pick him first overall.

Bama is as close to an NFL defensive backfield as he will see at the NCAA level and he just shredded them. And he’s 19 years old.

Two more years until he's eligible for the draft. It will be interesting to see if he plays the full two years or if his handlers eventually decide to shut him down to save him for the NFL.

Two more years until he's eligible for the draft. It will be interesting to see if he plays the full two years or if his handlers eventually decide to shut him down to save him for the NFL.
I assume he'll play every game this year. Who knows what happens in 2020; tons of time and many games before anything is decided in late 2020.

But yeah, this guy has superstar written all over him.

Not too much of a stretch, but whenever he is in the draft, he'll be 1st overall no doubt.

"Tank for Trevor" will be a thing; he's got the complete package like Elway or Peyton; those types of guys don't come around that often...

And Hunter's not that far behind him...; we got a special one.

Yep. From what I gleaned from the Clemson faithful, Lawrence > Johnson > Bryant.

Also, to back up 247's ratings, Johnson also outperformed Tua in last year's Under Armour All-America game, winning the MVP.

BTW, the QB play we saw in this game vis a vis arm strength, accuracy, is going to be akin to the level of play we should be seeing at the position next year. Yes, Tua had a rough game (by his standards), but he still threw some nice balls and close to 300 yards on the Clemson D. Lawrence is ethereal, but I think his play is a closer representation of what we are going to get next year vs. what we saw from Thorson these last 4 years. That's more a comment on where Johnson's game is, versus a dig on the all-time winningest QB at NU.

Basically, the Clemson people's view as that Johnson is a top notch talent, and if it were not for Lawrence arriving at Clemson, that might have been Johnson out there tonight (some seemed to believe that he should have played ahead of Bryant even last year). In a nut shell, they said Johnson was a top of the class type player, but Lawrence was a once in a generation player. As made obvious tonight, Tua Tagvailoa would not have beat out Lawrence either. They understood his decision and wished him well, said they'd become NU fans and predicted B1G championships and a bright future in the League.

Also, the Missouri people who need to show-me before they believe can take stock of what two kids, one the same class as Lawrence and the other a year younger, of this type of talent level did for their teams. And Johnson will be going into his 3rd year at the college level. So, no need to temper expectations, sky high as they may be.

Last edited:
^ W/ a deeper and talented WR corps and hopefully, some improvement/consistency at the O-line, we may see the best NU O in some time (barring significant injuries - knock on wood); and who knows? Maybe McC will open up the play-book more.

Yeah... first round??? I’m pretty sure he would be #1 if he were draft eligible this year. Maybe Haskins but I’d personally take Lawrence. Unless Arizona sees some great edge rusher or whatever that they think is worth more than the bounty of picks they can get from trading down out of the #1 slot to a team that needs a QB.

With Johnson as the number 2 overall pick, hopefully.

Yep. From what I gleaned from the Clemson faithful, Lawrence > Johnson > Bryant.

Also, to back up 247's ratings, Johnson also outperformed Tua in last year's Under Armour All-America game, winning the MVP.

BTW, the QB play we saw in this game vis a vis arm strength, accuracy, is going to be akin to the level of play we should be seeing at the position next year. Yes, Tua had a rough game (by his standards), but he still threw some nice balls and close to 300 yards on the Clemson D. Lawrence is ethereal, but I think his play is a closer representation of what we are going to get next year vs. what we saw from Thorson these last 4 years. That's more a comment on where Johnson's game is, versus a dig on the all-time winningest QB at NU.

Basically, the Clemson people's view as that Johnson is a top notch talent, and if it were not for Lawrence arriving at Clemson, that might have been Johnson out there tonight (some seemed to believe that he should have played ahead of Bryant even last year). In a nut shell, they said Johnson was a top of the class type player, but Lawrence was a once in a generation player. As made obvious tonight, Tua Tagvailoa would not have beat out Lawrence either. They understood his decision and wished him well, said they'd become NU fans and predicted B1G championships and a bright future in the League.

Also, the Missouri people who need to show-me before they believe can take stock of what two kids, one the same class as Lawrence and the other a year younger, of this type of talent level did for their teams. And Johnson will be going into his 3rd year at the college level. So, no need to temper expectations, sky high as they may be.
Yep, that's my take on all of this too. Lawrence is a "best in an entire decade or more" type of talent. Johnson is a "best in a year" kind of talent.

That's what the Clemson beat writers and people around Clemson's program were saying when Johnson left.

Either way, it means Johnson's ceiling is literally the 2nd best player in college football if we give him good OL play and good WR play.

WR play I'm less concerned about giving what we have coming on; OL is going to be the biggest questionmark as it has been for a couple of years, that's really where we have to nail it in terms of development the next couple of years (and recruiting, but the guys that are going to be playing with Hunter most are already here).

I happen to actually know a former nfl talent scout and he says that Haskins isnt even remotely close to Lawrence. He said when Lawrence came out of High School that he was the best QB prospect ever and will be the best NFL draftable QB ever. He imagines that the asking price to move up in the draft to get lawrence will be 3 future 1st round picks....in exchange to move down only 5 spots.
And I believe rivals has said he was the best High School recruit ever.

Hunter was smart. Hunter is great. But he was never going to compete with Superman.

Lawrence has better arm strength than at least half of NFL starting QB's right now, makes a lot of NFL throws (take a look at where and how he had to throw that last TD pass) and stands in the face of pressure unlike almost any college QB I've ever seen...as a true freshman. He would be #1 pick today and is going to be in the Elway, Manning, Luck tier barring injury.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT