ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Leach to MSU

A while back I drove through Oxford on my way to Memphis--an absolutely beautiful fall day--and decided I should spend the night there. I pulled in, to the town square where William Faulkner once held court, and spotted a quietly up scale, deep south restaurant, thinking this would be my ticket for a great dinner, and nice place to stay after. I was met at the door by the young maitre d'ess?, who was the most beautiful woman I have ever encountered (even by Northwestern standards). Shaken, I asked where I might stay in Oxford (secretly hoping she would say something other than she did). And she replied, "Oh, you won't fond a room"--quizzical look on my part, death stare on hers--"you know, the gaime." Oh, the gaime--never occurred to me. Football in Mississippi is serious, more so than any of us Yankees will ever, ever understand.

Last edited:
A while back I drove through Oxford on my way to Memphis--an absolutely beautiful fall day--and decided I should spend the night there. I pulled in, to the town square where William Faulkner once held court, and spotted a quietly up scale, deep south restaurant, thinking this would be my ticket for a great dinner, and nice place to stay after dinner. I was met at the door by the young maitre d'ess?, who was the most beautiful woman I have ever encountered (even by Northwestern standards). Shaken, I asked where I might stay in Oxford (secretly hoping she would say something other than she did). And she replied, "Oh, you won't fond a room"--quizzical look on my part, death stare on hers--"you know, the gaime." Oh, the gaime--never occurred to me. Football in Mississippi is serious, more so than any of us Yankees will ever, ever understand.
From St. Paul? Sounds like you got lost.

A while back I drove through Oxford on my way to Memphis--an absolutely beautiful fall day--and decided I should spend the night there. I pulled in, to the town square where William Faulkner once held court, and spotted a quietly up scale, deep south restaurant, thinking this would be my ticket for a great dinner, and nice place to stay after dinner. I was met at the door by the young maitre d'ess?, who was the most beautiful woman I have ever encountered (even by Northwestern standards). Shaken, I asked where I might stay in Oxford (secretly hoping she would say something other than she did). And she replied, "Oh, you won't fond a room"--quizzical look on my part, death stare on hers--"you know, the gaime." Oh, the gaime--never occurred to me. Football in Mississippi is serious, more so than any of us Yankees will ever, ever understand.
I drove through Oxford a couple of weeks ago, coming back from Tennessee. It's a charming town. We stopped by Faulkner's grave, which is about 50 yards away from my great-grandparents' graves in the cemetery. Faulkner's grave usually has empty whiskey bottles on it, as a show of respect for the man.

I've never been to Starkville. Too many cowbells.

I drove through Oxford a couple of weeks ago, coming back from Tennessee. It's a charming town. We stopped by Faulkner's grave, which is about 50 yards away from my great-grandparents' graves in the cemetery. Faulkner's grave usually has empty whiskey bottles on it, as a show of respect for the man.

I've never been to Starkville. Too many cowbells.
I was in Oxford a couple years ago. I thought I time traveled back to 1986.

We had a great time telling the MSU fans to “Go back to Oxford” prior to the Gator Bowl. Some tried to explain, “we’re from Starkville”, but some understood what we were doing.

We had a great time telling the MSU fans to “Go back to Oxford” prior to the Gator Bowl. Some tried to explain, “we’re from Starkville”, but some understood what we were doing.
Did your group have a sign that said “Beat Ole Miss!”?

Reactions: LACatFan
Random thoughts, just for the sake of conversation:

*Is MSU a measurably better job than WSU? Or at all?

*Does Leach think he could win an SEC East title faster than he could a Pac-12 North?

*It's always funny to me when we see moves like this, but I guess good for a coach who makes a move before being fired.

*I really wanted Leach to take the Illinois job when it ultimately went to Beckman. Could you imagine? We probably wouldn't have five straight against them right now, but man, I'd love to have Leach in the Big Ten.

Comments:

- No way MSU is better unless you are Mississippi born. Starkville?
- No way MSU wins a SEC East title anytime soon. WSU maybe pretty please could win a division title.
- I think smart, ambitious coaches find reasons to leave around the 5 year mark. Urban Meyer was the master. Headaches. I know, too cynical.

Also,I think Leach is a restless soul that gets bored.

Leach was bored and wanted to find another podunk town. That private jet cowbell video is amazing.

Leach is going to win between 7 and 10 every year, and they’ll sell tickets, and MSU can be confident that the big dogs aren’t going to come calling like they did for Mullen.

If they keep him entertained, they’ll keep him employed. It’s a perfect move for both.

Also, I bet Pullman is more redneck than either Starkville or Lubbock. Lots of sovereign staters in eastern Washington.

Reactions: NJCat
That looks like something out of Tajikistan: Important-looking man emerges from private jet on a rural turmac to be surrounded by staged peasants in local traditional costume shaking the cowbells they use to heard goats...

Leach looks pretty uninterested there. Can't say I blame him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Random thoughts, just for the sake of conversation:

*Is MSU a measurably better job than WSU? Or at all?

*Does Leach think he could win an SEC East title faster than he could a Pac-12 North?

*It's always funny to me when we see moves like this, but I guess good for a coach who makes a move before being fired.

*I really wanted Leach to take the Illinois job when it ultimately went to Beckman. Could you imagine? We probably wouldn't have five straight against them right now, but man, I'd love to have Leach in the Big Ten.

Why would you want Leach anywhere near the B1G? Frankly, my dream get at OC would be either someone from the Leach tree or someone who knows what the hell LSU did to their offense. I think something about making it easy for their QB (we have a Ferrari that was underappreciated and driven like a horse carriage) was a priority for everyone.

All I can think of is either the coaches at LSU are geniuses or an alien spaceship came down and did a talent warp - whatever that is - on Burrow. They have an ancient OC supplemented by a very young coach with some NFL experience. Please give NU a little of that formula.

All I can think of is either the coaches at LSU are geniuses or an alien spaceship came down and did a talent warp - whatever that is - on Burrow. They have an ancient OC supplemented by a very young coach with some NFL experience. Please give NU a little of that formula.
Burrow just seems to be a freak of nature. Kid can throw, run, and make great decisions. Mick McCall could be the OC with him at QB and his stable of WRs.

In my opinion, the talent at WR receiver is what sets LSU apart. The ability to hit deep balls - especially outside - changes everything. NU hasn’t been able to do that consistently since ever. (Skow was probably the closest.)

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
In my opinion, the talent at WR receiver is what sets LSU apart. The ability to hit deep balls - especially outside - changes everything. NU hasn’t been able to do that consistently since ever. (Skow was probably the closest.)

Agree in general, but disagree about Skow -- JJ Jefferson and McGowan are better long ball threats than Skow was.

Why would you want Leach anywhere near the B1G? Frankly, my dream get at OC would be either someone from the Leach tree or someone who knows what the hell LSU did to their offense. I think something about making it easy for their QB (we have a Ferrari that was underappreciated and driven like a horse carriage) was a priority for everyone.

Honestly, I'd just like Leach here for the sport of it...I know he'd make things difficult on us, but he also would have been a guy who led Illinois to upset teams that think they are entitled to those wins otherwise (which maybe includes...us?)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT