ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Looking for a Diversion? Join the Search for Koi instead of Starting QB

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
OK, this is way off topic, but I just posted on my YouTube Channel (dalejay8901) a challenge to locate darting Koi in a reflective pond of a Japanese Pond Garden I recently filmed on an early April morning.

Reactions: Hkjb
A Sequel to the Koi Search:

In this minute long video watch dozens of the beautiful Japanese Koi as they swim under the branches of a Cherry Tree in bloom. This intended visual treat offered for meditation and reflection is accompanied by the soothing sounds of the pond's flowing waters.

This video, also filmed during the first week of April, is one of three one-minute features filmed at Sangetsu Garden and posted on my YouTube Channel. The other two are titled, "Listen to the soothing waters of an Open Air Onsen Public Bath under the Cherry Blossoms in Hakone, Japan," and the one above, "Find the Darting Koi in this Mesmerizing Reflecting Pond at Hakone Japan's Sangetsu Garden."

The Sangetsu Garden is located in the mountain-side valley adjacent to Yoshiike Onsen located within walking distance of Hakone Yumoto train station. The garden was once part of the private estate built by a Mitsubishi tycoon in 1904.

Included in the garden is a teahouse that was relocated from the Summer Palace of an early 1800s Tokugawa Shogun who ruled Japan prior to the Meiji Restoration of 1868.

Admiral Perry and his Black Ships brought a reopening of a Japan that had been under isolation for the some 250 years that the Tokugawa Clan had held power during the Samurai Era

Last edited:
A Sequel to the Koi Search:

In this minute long video watch dozens of the beautiful Japanese Koi as they swim under the branches of a Cherry Tree in bloom. This intended visual treat offered for meditation and reflection is accompanied by the soothing sounds of the pond's flowing waters.

This video, also filmed during the first week of April, is one of three one-minute features filmed at Sangetsu Garden and posted on my YouTube Channel. The other two are titled, "Listen to the soothing waters of an Open Air Onsen Public Bath under the Cherry Blossoms in Hakone, Japan," and the one above, "Find the Darting Koi in this Mesmerizing Reflecting Pond at Hakone Japan's Sangetsu Garden."

The Sangetsu Garden is located in the mountain-side valley adjacent to Yoshiike Onsen located within walking distance of Hakone Yumoto train station. The garden was once part of the private estate built by a Mitsubishi tycoon in 1904.

Included in the garden is a teahouse that was relocated from the Summer Palace of an early 1800s Tokugawa Shogun who ruled Japan prior to the Meiji Restoration of 1868.

Admiral Perry and his Black Ships brought a reopening of a Japan that had been under isolation for the some 250 years that the Tokugawa Clan had held power during the Samurai Era

Thanks my Alaska friend. Have ever done any fishing on any of your numerous trips to Japan, obviously not for Koi, but for any sport fish? I know that you enjoy fishing in Alaska.

Thanks my Alaska friend. Have ever done any fishing on any of your numerous trips to Japan, obviously not for Koi, but for any sport fish? I know that you enjoy fishing in Alaska.
Thanks. My friend here in Alaska who authors the YouTube Channel "Outdoor Boys" took his family to Japan last year and he filmed a video on their fishing in Japan efforts. Watching that is as close as I have gotten to casting a hook there although decades ago I was present for ocean net fishing on Noto Peninsula north of Kanazawa where the recent earthquake struck.

Elaborating on my above posting, here is added historical information regarding the referenced teahouse:

For the history aficionados here is a take on the history of an iconic Japanese Teahouse from the pre 1867 Edo Era prefaced by movie history related to the early 1950s novel/play/movie "The Teahouse of the August Moon."

In homage to the classic 1956 Movie, "The Teahouse of the August Moon," the 1953 Broadway Play from which it was adapted, and the original 1951 Novel, all of the same name, here is my photo tribute.
First, a little background regarding "The Teahouse of the August Moon." The teahouse in the book, play, and movie was the product of well intentioned efforts by the occupation forces in Okinawa to assist the locals. In the movie Marlon Brando as the interpreter, along with a geisha played by Japanese Actress Machiko Kyo, play pivotal roles in repurposing an intended school house and social center into the eventually built teahouse that the locals preferred.

In the movie's trailer, when the teahouse comes into view, the narrator elaborates:

"When the sun sets it is the custom to visit the Teahouse of the August Moon and there to meditate, absorb the customs and culture passed along through the centuries."

Pictured below are my exterior photos of an actual teahouse that was built during the Edo a/k/a Samurai Period in Japan prior to 1867. Now relocated within the historic Sangetsuen Garden adjacent to Yoshiike Onsen Ryokan, this teahouse was actually built for the 16th in succession Tokugawa Shogun ruler of Japan.

(See the included below pictured plaques offering more details about the history of the teahouse and Sangetsuen Garden.)

The last below pictured interior photo with its symbolic "August Moon" lighting I took in Wakayama Japan.

ADKq_NZ9GWUpgMhqKlKb7-yN9_cLt9FjeMvVrxzpxw2DUKMbtojWPyMh6HYiOrROHJURwBmdr83KDwxT1FcCAmxjFVbVgIoKhfOOn2kQbyLqLgT333H4EFI=s0-d-e1-ft

ADKq_NYlXdqgtYZ-U0M5g04D9b8VKHB5lV9RCuMXYAB4On0fenbxWlSv95t0sgNz1Ux5KetUgJxG2Me3if_xYaJmNrUhG_fDmpVlUcYbTCWip5VFO567csI=s0-d-e1-ft

ADKq_NbEIhDl-A9jfluMhoTqM-F-4hIz3ku4GwhSRLqIkjhtpftLuwILPk-9dqVRUZk383PDQv70HHKUDf-aBHMOV2SG_ulFeQX13BQyZCD1LOHDdHh5dJ4=s0-d-e1-ft

ADKq_NbSu6LsTwbnztPLdKzauhHs3oWsMpGEAcs1jdgZ5998TTRp01stifJrJdfO36cJ5oQHq1DcJlN9Fh4ZIGZS56p51L890_45a8rhoM8pXU4r0Kt0pKM=s0-d-e1-ft

ADKq_NaNHXb5OHK51WzZOFEWTou6MeqLvXTHCbPt_u6Yq6yTk9A_AkBZYrh2HQOfzUtP26pKraShh-l9414DCVb4ZV5cBsZ3RuQBupZOOX1WKZJx9gR4vkw=s0-d-e1-ft

Thanks. My friend here in Alaska who authors the YouTube Channel "Outdoor Boys" took his family to Japan last year and he filmed a video on their fishing in Japan efforts. Watching that is as close as I have gotten to casting a hook there although decades ago I was present for ocean net fishing on Noto Peninsula north of Kanazawa where the recent earthquake struck.

Elaborating on my above posting, here is added historical information regarding the referenced teahouse:

For the history aficionados here is a take on the history of an iconic Japanese Teahouse from the pre 1867 Edo Era prefaced by movie history related to the early 1950s novel/play/movie "The Teahouse of the August Moon."

In homage to the classic 1956 Movie, "The Teahouse of the August Moon," the 1953 Broadway Play from which it was adapted, and the original 1951 Novel, all of the same name, here is my photo tribute.
First, a little background regarding "The Teahouse of the August Moon." The teahouse in the book, play, and movie was the product of well intentioned efforts by the occupation forces in Okinawa to assist the locals. In the movie Marlon Brando as the interpreter, along with a geisha played by Japanese Actress Machiko Kyo, play pivotal roles in repurposing an intended school house and social center into the eventually built teahouse that the locals preferred.

In the movie's trailer, when the teahouse comes into view, the narrator elaborates:

"When the sun sets it is the custom to visit the Teahouse of the August Moon and there to meditate, absorb the customs and culture passed along through the centuries."

Pictured below are my exterior photos of an actual teahouse that was built during the Edo a/k/a Samurai Period in Japan prior to 1867. Now relocated within the historic Sangetsuen Garden adjacent to Yoshiike Onsen Ryokan, this teahouse was actually built for the 16th in succession Tokugawa Shogun ruler of Japan.

(See the included below pictured plaques offering more details about the history of the teahouse and Sangetsuen Garden.)

The last below pictured interior photo with its symbolic "August Moon" lighting I took in Wakayama Japan.

ADKq_NZ9GWUpgMhqKlKb7-yN9_cLt9FjeMvVrxzpxw2DUKMbtojWPyMh6HYiOrROHJURwBmdr83KDwxT1FcCAmxjFVbVgIoKhfOOn2kQbyLqLgT333H4EFI=s0-d-e1-ft

ADKq_NYlXdqgtYZ-U0M5g04D9b8VKHB5lV9RCuMXYAB4On0fenbxWlSv95t0sgNz1Ux5KetUgJxG2Me3if_xYaJmNrUhG_fDmpVlUcYbTCWip5VFO567csI=s0-d-e1-ft

ADKq_NbEIhDl-A9jfluMhoTqM-F-4hIz3ku4GwhSRLqIkjhtpftLuwILPk-9dqVRUZk383PDQv70HHKUDf-aBHMOV2SG_ulFeQX13BQyZCD1LOHDdHh5dJ4=s0-d-e1-ft

ADKq_NbSu6LsTwbnztPLdKzauhHs3oWsMpGEAcs1jdgZ5998TTRp01stifJrJdfO36cJ5oQHq1DcJlN9Fh4ZIGZS56p51L890_45a8rhoM8pXU4r0Kt0pKM=s0-d-e1-ft

ADKq_NaNHXb5OHK51WzZOFEWTou6MeqLvXTHCbPt_u6Yq6yTk9A_AkBZYrh2HQOfzUtP26pKraShh-l9414DCVb4ZV5cBsZ3RuQBupZOOX1WKZJx9gR4vkw=s0-d-e1-ft
Wow my Alaska amigo. I need to get back to Anchorage to do some fishing with you and take your course on Japanese history. Maybe in 2025. I've already booked 2 sub-arctic fishing trips for 2024.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Wow my Alaska amigo. I need to get back to Anchorage to do some fishing with you and take your course on Japanese history. Maybe in 2025. I've already booked 2 sub-arctic fishing trips for 2024.
That sounds like fun, but the Alaska Guy who really knows fishing is my friend Luke of the Outdoor Boys YouTube Channel with its millions of subscribers. If you could get him to join you that would be epic. (I did get to spend an afternoon with him on an ice fishing venture at my neighborhood lake.)

In any event, I just located the afore mentioned video he took of his family's fishing venture in Japan some ten months ago:

Reactions: No Chores
OK, here is another chapter in the Japan History syllabus :)

Return to Kagoshima’s Kirishima Shrine and the Boulders that Inspired Japan’s National Anthem based on a 1185 Poem

In March of 2023 on the first returned to Japan sailing of the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship since its infamous departure in early 2020 one of our ports of call was Kyushu Japan’s Kagoshima. We took advantage of a land excursion that took us to Kirishima Shrine, the most sacred and revered Shinto Shrine in Western Japan.

Fast forward a year later to this March of 2024, and we were once again on board the Diamond Princess and it was again making a port of call at Kagoshima. Likewise, we once again took advantage of the land excursion that took us to Kirishima Shrine located an approximate hour distant from the ship’s docking.

One of the motivations for my return visit was to confirm and film the location there of the boulders that are claimed to have inspired Japan’s National Anthem, “Kimigayo.” It was only after our first visit that I had learned of their presence along the walkway to Kirishima Shrine.

In addition at a recent event sponsored by the Consular Office of Japan in Anchorage commemorating the Japanese Emperor’s Birthday, I had the opportunity to hear and film Japan’s National Anthem “Kimigayo” sung by a Japanese speaking member of Anchorage’s renowned singing group, “Pipeline Vocal Project.”

The venture was successful as I was not only able to locate and photograph the moss covered boulders but also to take videos both in 2D and separately in 3D using Apple’s new Vision Pro.

**Here is the backstory as I previously recounted it after the initial visit to Kirishima Shrine:
Japan’s national anthem is not only one of the oldest (having come from a poem written before 1185), but is the world's shortest National Anthem. Here are its words translated into English:

"May your reign continue for a thousand, eight thousand generations,
Until the tiny pebbles grow into massive boulders lush with moss.”

One can actually see the boulders that inspired the ancient poet. They are located on the grounds leading up to the Kirishima Shrine.

Kirishima Shrine’s large Tori Gate at the base of the walkway to the shrine is the Tori Gate most heralded in Western Japan. (The Tori Gate heralded in Eastern Japan, and Japan’s largest, is located on the walkway to Tokyo’s Meiji shrine.) Along the walkway to Kirishima Shrine is located a cleansing with water location and near to it moss covered boulders. Legend has it that these are the boulders referenced in Japan's National Anthem "Kimigayo" [… pebbles that grow into boulders]. The boulders are known in Japanese as Sazare-ishi.

Hidden at the base of a forested mountain, the Shinto Kirishima Shrine is located over an hour distant from the Kyushu city of Kagoshima. It has been described as the Nikko of Western Japan. (Nikko located over two hours distant from Tokyo is home of Japan's most decorated shrine, the Toshogu Shrine. Both shrines share the similarity that they are located in National Forests.)

The shrine itself dates back to at least 540 AD although it was relocated to its present location in 1715 due to repeated fires from volcanoes having burned the original as it continued to be rebuilt. The shrine itself is most sacred to the Japanese as enshrining Ninigi-no-Mikito who per Japanese mythology was the grandson of the Sun Goddess who came down to earth and married a mortal princess with their progeny including a great grandson Jimmu who was the first Emperor of Japan. The original location of the shrine was at the base of Mount Takachiho-no-Mine, the mountain on whose summit Emperor Jimmu's Great Grandfather came down from heaven and planted a sword or spear into the ground.

Interestingly, at the not too far distant present location of the Kirishima Shrine there stands an image on a sacred pine tree's branch that some claim is a representation of Ninigi-no Mikito replicating his descent to earth. The tree itself, as well as the image, is at least 800 years old. It is also claimed that this particular tree is the ancestor of all pine trees in Southern Kyushu.

Kirishima Shrine:

ib6rd58k8wnq.jpg

Japan's National Anthem Inspiring Boulders:

u7ucce900e80.jpg

ovysxzh6ybwu.jpg

6n6vg46ln2mp.jpg

lynlmrnwe03l.jpg

The 800 Year Old Sacred Pine Tree with its Image of the Deity Coming Down from Heaven:

7czfr7tkfd4y.jpg

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
Thanks my Alaska friend. You need to put all this info and your photos into a book, and I want a copy! :) :)
I used to put together photo books until Costco eliminated their photo department.

(There is one in Northwestern's Archives courtesy of NU Archivist Kevin Leonard's initiation that photographically chronicled a "Reunion Return to Northwestern.")

Now if I ever put together a more conventional book on Japanese History, I'll make sure it is dedicated to "No Chores" for the motivation.

As an addendum to the above, here are added photos of the referenced Tori Gates:

Western Japan's Largest Tori Gate located on the roadway approach to Kirishima Shrine followed by the Largest Tori Gate in Eastern Japan located at the Meiji Shrine in Tokyo:

5qo4p24nvy70.jpg

s0h257aagif3.jpg

The largest land based Tori Gate in Japan located at the Meiji Shrine in Tokyo:

b7xy0nzkwao3.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT