ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Musberger Retires 1/31

He is moving to Las Vegas to enter the sports handicapping business.

Unreal.

There are a lot of TV news people who seem to stick around forever. What is up with that? Don't they get paid well enough to retire?

Touché, although having to be just slightly less of a douchebag than Lee Corso would kinda suk

He didn't become an overhyping douchebag until he became a national sports figure. He was a very good regional sports personality in the Chicago area.

"He's skying! He's skying!" (in reference to MJ dunking) ... good grief, SHUT UP!

I'll share a different take. I interviewed him for wnur after the 1986 or 87 big ten press luncheon. He could not have been nicer. Was he a little over the top on the air, yes probably. But compared to the Chris berman's or dick vitale he was ordinary. And compared to so many of the really bad broadcasters coming up today, he was darn good.

Reactions: RevCat
[QUOTE="T_Levine, post: 394924, member: 1018"I interviewed him for wnur after the 1986 or 87 big ten press luncheon. He could not have been nicer. .[/QUOTE]

I liked him back in the day. Not so much now. The stuff with Katherine Webb was pretty bad.

maxresdefault.jpg

He didn't become an overhyping douchebag until he became a national sports figure. He was a very good regional sports personality in the Chicago area.

"He's skying! He's skying!" (in reference to MJ dunking) ... good grief, SHUT UP!

We live in the country of overhype. He also was a good writer for the old Chicago American before he entered the evil empire of television.

Reactions: Noah121
Best announcer ever was Joe Namath. I think he lasted one broadcast.

Great ride for old Brent.

In an article about his retirement, ESPN said he graduated from NU. I thought I read before that he never actually got his degree?

I'll share a different take. I interviewed him for wnur after the 1986 or 87 big ten press luncheon. He could not have been nicer.

I ate at his table in the media room at a Big Ten Tournament one year when I was with WNUR, probably in 03 or 04. He was incredibly friendly and engaging with the student broadcasters, along with everyone else in the room. He's a living legend in the business but you wouldn't have known it from how he conducted himself, at least on that day.

Yes, he's said some particularly stupid things on the air, especially in recent years, but he's one of the best ever to sit behind a mic.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I liked him back in the day. Not so much now. The stuff with Katherine Webb was pretty bad.

maxresdefault.jpg
1. He had a long career and I, for one, do associate his voice with sports. I have appreciated his career and - while he has gone a little off the deep end the last couple of years - that does not change my perception of his overall body of work. I liked him and will miss his voice on certain broadcasts. Not as much as Keith Jackson but he will be missed.
2. I cut him some slack on the Katherine Webb thing. He was stuck with an unwatchable game. They were scrambling to fill the air with something. The director made the decision to put a major focus on her. So, while he did come off as a dirty-old-man, the end result was that a very attractive young woman got her fifteen minutes of fame.

Reactions: ricko654321
1. He had a long career and I, for one, do associate his voice with sports. I have appreciated his career and - while he has gone a little off the deep end the last couple of years - that does not change my perception of his overall body of work. I liked him and will miss his voice on certain broadcasts. Not as much as Keith Jackson but he will be missed.
2. I cut him some slack on the Katherine Webb thing. He was stuck with an unwatchable game. They were scrambling to fill the air with something. The director made the decision to put a major focus on her. So, while he did come off as a dirty-old-man, the end result was that a very attractive young woman got her fifteen minutes of fame.
+1

Sure Brent could be hype ish at time but I liked his voice a lot for college sports. Will miss him. I think comparing him Dick Vitale is insane and insulting, but that's just me. Thought he brought energy and excitement to the broadcasts he did. And re the Katherine Webb stuff.. I mean we all have parents and or grandparents right? He's more articulate and had more of a filter into his 70s than many people that age I've interacted with. Also, it's not like he was fat shaming her or saying she was ugly or attacking her personality, it was a bit creepy but it was intended to be complimentary at least. And like the above poster pointed out, it was killing time in a blowout.

Someone asked why broadcasters don't retire early... like isn't it just cause it's a pretty awesome job? To travel around the country to see marquee CBB and CFB matchups on a weekly basis and provide commentary on them to a national TV audience? I wouldn't retire until I (or my employer) thought I was no longer good at it.

In any event, I'll miss Brent, but it was probably a good time for him to move on. On a related note, it was nice to hear Keith Jackson again for a few minutes at the Rose Bowl this year, but it was also clear that he decided to move on at the right point too.

Don't forget the 2006 Fiesta Bowl with endless references to AJ Hawk and Brady Quinn's sister.

[QUOTE="T_Levine, post: 394924, member: 1018"I interviewed him for wnur after the 1986 or 87 big ten press luncheon. He could not have been nicer. .

maxresdefault.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I cut Brent a little slack for one simple reason. Take a look at the boy to her right in this picture. Brent wasn't the only one thinking unpure things.

In an article about his retirement, ESPN said he graduated from NU. I thought I read before that he never actually got his degree?

I believe it is correct that Musberger did not graduate from NU. (Neither did I.) We were there at the same time and I think we crossed paths but I never really knew him. My mother-in-law taught part-time at Medill and had him in a feature-writing class. She said (and this was mostly pre-fame) that he was a gifted and hard-working student.

I ate at his table in the media room at a Big Ten Tournament one year when I was with WNUR, probably in 03 or 04. He was incredibly friendly and engaging with the student broadcasters, along with everyone else in the room. He's a living legend in the business but you wouldn't have known it from how he conducted himself, at least on that day.

Yes, he's said some particularly stupid things on the air, especially in recent years, but he's one of the best ever to sit behind a mic.
I had a similar experience with him during NU-Michigan in 2000. He gave us 5-10 minutes of preview chat, probably 2 hours before kickoff. Very gracious and helpful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT