ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My wife just found this guy sitting on our deck

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
IMG_8188.jpg
IMG_2086.jpg

We have had 2" of snow in N. Virginia. Traffic will be immobilized for a week.
When southern climates get snow I think they get a bad rap for being poor drivers. In the U.P. we would start getting snow mid Oct and it would be gone in mid May. They can brag about diving all winter on snow pack and never having an accident but what they never tell you is the first snow is different than all the rest. It's "Greasy". The stuff on the bottom is melting making it all slick once the ground cools off, it's stiff, not "Greasy" any more. Down south the ground never gets cold, every snow is "Greasy".

When southern climates get snow I think they get a bad rap for being poor drivers. In the U.P. we would start getting snow mid Oct and it would be gone in mid May. They can brag about diving all winter on snow pack and never having an accident but what they never tell you is the first snow is different than all the rest. It's "Greasy". The stuff on the bottom is melting making it all slick once the ground cools off, it's stiff, not "Greasy" any more. Down south the ground never gets cold, every snow is "Greasy".
Every snow is on the ground until it melts in the South. This is the seventh anniversary of the last terrible ATL snow (it came at noon, and everybody left work for the burbs at the same time, and I know two people who slept in their cars and another who slept at a grocery store), and ATL pledged to double its fleet of plows — to 40 — at the time.

People have long memories, and the city mostly agrees to shut down when there’s a threat. Our kids have definitely had snow days when expected flurries instead arrived as mid 40s and cloudy.

Every snow is on the ground until it melts in the South. This is the seventh anniversary of the last terrible ATL snow (it came at noon, and everybody left work for the burbs at the same time, and I know two people who slept in their cars and another who slept at a grocery store), and ATL pledged to double its fleet of plows — to 40 — at the time.

People have long memories, and the city mostly agrees to shut down when there’s a threat. Our kids have definitely had snow days when expected flurries instead arrived as mid 40s and cloudy.
I was catching a connecting flight out of Atlanta as that storm was barreling down. I think we were literally the last plane they allowed to take off. After getting home and reading about how that storm paralyzed the city for days, I was sooooo relieved to get out, as you can imagine.

We have had 2" of snow in N. Virginia. Traffic will be immobilized for a week.
At one point, I lived in Watertown NY. It was at the Northern end of Lake Ontaio and it was not known as Snowtown USA for nothing. Averaged over 100 inches per year and just to the South it was as much as 160 inches per year. I remember hearing on the weather channel a few years back about how Watertown had gotten AT LEAST 3 inches of snowevery day that year. It was mid February. I laugh here in Chicago when they think they have had a lot of snow

Alaska, do you know if “The Commissioner” Adam Crum has had anything to do with Alaska’s nation leading rollout?

Thanks for the inquiry about former Northwestern football player from Alaska Adam Crum.

Although the State’s Chief Medical Officer Zinke has taken over the Fauci like PR role when it comes to nightly TV appearances, Adam remains a force behind Alaska’s successful COVID-19 response.

He was quoted in last week’s paper with regard to challenges inherent with the seating of a new legislature. In November the Governor advised of a forthcoming Executive Order that would allow Adam Crum to head a newly created Department of Health that could focus better on health issues while creating a separate Department of Family and Community Services. At present all those responsibilities are under Adam as The Alaska Health and Services Commisioner. As it is Adam noted that he finds himself running from one crises to another. Once the leadership issues get resolved in the State House the process can begin for the Governor’s proposal.

At the same time we have our third Attorney General in as many months but stability should now be returning to that aspect of the Executive Branch. The attorney now filling that role is a good friend that I can strongly vouch for based upon personal knowledge.

Apologies if all that was too much information. I guess what I am trying to add is that we are fortunate to have such individuals as Adam and the newest Attorney General on board to assist our Governor with the continuing challenges.

Last edited:
Having lived in the country outside Charlottesville, I have observed first-hand Virginia drivers and their futile attempt to navigate in snow. 2" of snow definitely disables the state which has little or no capacity for snow removal. On more than one snowy occasion I was passed by a driver speeding down a steep downhill only to find the vehicle in the ditch at the bottom with the driver imploring me to stop and help him. No way! I would never stop since it would have been impossible for me to climb the steep uphill from a standing start at the snowy bottom.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
How many of us can claim to have large ungulates in our backyards?

Probably everyone here who doesn't live in a city. I have a small herd of seven ungulates that like to bed down in my backyard at night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry Jack
After seeing the stranger on the home deck photo, one of my kids sent back this one I had originally sent showing the view from my office deck, but with a small addition that I just came across today.

IMG_7654(1).jpg

Snow still exists? Thank god, I thought my shoveling days were done.
Thankfully at least we are getting more and more sunlight so it stays light until 9:30 PM at present. These past three days though have seen record lows for the respective April dates. 21 degrees F now and will drop to 14 tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT