ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NBA Draft

The Bulls have been focused on Michael Porter Jr. throughout and now Mo Bamba is in the mix.

I don't know if either will be around...either could be a smoke screen (the bulls are so, so tricky). Bulls fans wouldn't be upset to see Jaren Jackson Jr.

Porter has back issues that are still a question mark.

There's talk that the Bulls want to move up....and they have IIRC the 21st pick.

I don't think the bulls are going to get a bargain to trade up and the bulls front office is probably a bit wary of packaging picks since the doug mcdermott fiasco.

My guess is their big board for realistic targets at 7 is
Bamba
Porter
Carter Jr

If all those guys are on the board then a more big time prospect will have been falling and they'll probably draft them.

Personally, I'd like to see the bulls swing for the fences a bit more and take Trae Young. He's a really divisive prospect but conservative drafting hasn't gotten the organization to a championship position.

I don’t follow the NBA that closely. I am curious to hear what you guys think about whom the Bulls will draft, and whom they should draft.

I like Bamba as the best fit for the Bulls of the top players outside of Ayton. Huge untapped upside but an impact player as is that fits well with the Bulls existing core. I think the Bulls will need to trade up to get him and I think they might. Whatever they do, please stay away from Trae Young.

For their other first round pick. I would really love to see an athletic perimeter player who can shoot. Donte Divincenzo is the guy I think will really blossom as an NBA player. Once again, I doubt Donte is their at 22 but perhaps the Bulls can figure out a way to get him.

I don’t follow the NBA that closely. I am curious to hear what you guys think about whom the Bulls will draft, and whom they should draft.

If Bamba and Jackson are gone, I’d like to see them trade down with the Clippers to nab the 12th and 13th picks. Maybe try to pick up two of Alexander, Bridges, Knox, Walker, or Williams depending who’s left on the board.

Young’s inability to defend and Porter’s injury history are significant risks for the number 7. I’d rather roll the dice with two high ceiling prospects a few slots down if at all possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: corbi296
I like Bamba as the best fit for the Bulls of the top players outside of Ayton. Huge untapped upside but an impact player as is that fits well with the Bulls existing core. I think the Bulls will need to trade up to get him and I think they might. Whatever they do, please stay away from Trae Young.

For their other first round pick. I would really love to see an athletic perimeter player who can shoot. Donte Divincenzo is the guy I think will really blossom as an NBA player. Once again, I doubt Donte is their at 22 but perhaps the Bulls can figure out a way to get him.

GarPax are locked in on the second pick. LeBron could fall to 22 and they would skip him.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Poor mans Ben Gordan IMO

You gotta be joking. Ben Gordon didn't shoot from 25 regularly or lead the NCAA in scoring plus assists. Trae Young is a special offensive talent. The question is whether he can play physically enough in the League to take the hits and also play decent D.

He's supposed to fall a few below the bulls.

I've seen Young gone as early as 7 and the first guard to go if you don't count Doncic.

It is a draft rich in bigs. Lots of people have Wendell Carter at 8. Bulls will have to move up, most likely to get Porter and definitely Bamba who is top 3-4.

Reactions: ricko654321

I like Bamba too, but he's not going to be around at 8, we'd have to move up.

What do you have against Trae Young? He's going to be like Steph Curry.

I don't think the bulls are going to get a bargain to trade up and the bulls front office is probably a bit wary of packaging picks since the doug mcdermott fiasco.

My guess is their big board for realistic targets at 7 is
Bamba
Porter
Carter Jr

If all those guys are on the board then a more big time prospect will have been falling and they'll probably draft them.

Personally, I'd like to see the bulls swing for the fences a bit more and take Trae Young. He's a really divisive prospect but conservative drafting hasn't gotten the organization to a championship position.

Agree with you. You take a swing for the ceiling, and in my opinion, the ceiling is highest for Bamba and Young in this draft. Bamba's gone by pick 4 though, is my guess. Young will likely be there for us to pick at 8.

Listened to some analysts talking about Bamba a couple days ago. The young man is pretty bright and very interested and engaged in a lot of different subjects with many outside interests. Some NBA GM's see that as a negative which I think is simultaneously hilarious and depressing.

Reactions: NUCat320
I like Bamba too, but he's not going to be around at 8, we'd have to move up.

What do you have against Trae Young? He's going to be like Steph Curry.

Um, the Bulls draft with the 7pick. I agree we would probably have to trade up to get Bamba and I think the Bulls May be willing to do that.

As far as Young is concerned, he may end up being a good NBA player in 2-3 years. A guy who looks small relative to female broadcasters interviewing him, who shot 36% from the college three point line, who showed little interest or ability in playing defense and who wore down during a 30 game college season is not worthy of being the 7th pick in this NBA draft. Young will get eaten alive if he plays significant minutes next year. He needs to be brought along slowly playing ~20-22 minutes a game in the right offense against the right match ups. If all goes well, after 2-3 years he’d be lucky to become as good a player as Ben Gordon, who was the #3 pick in the draft, won an NCAA Championship and was a very, very good NBA player in his prime. The Steph Curry comparison is a pipe dream and does a disservice to how good of an all around player Curry is.

Last edited:
Listened to some analysts talking about Bamba a couple days ago. The young man is pretty bright and very interested and engaged in a lot of different subjects with many outside interests. Some NBA GM's see that as a negative which I think is simultaneously hilarious and depressing.

Incredibly well spoken and impressive guy. I think he has a chance to be a superstar.

GarPax are locked in on the second pick. LeBron could fall to 22 and they would skip him.

Are you referring to the Hutchinson kid? A nice player but if Divincenzo is there, they’d be stupid to pass him up. I have a feeling and fear Danny Ainge is going to find a way to get Donte.

There seems to be a top 4 of Ayton, Doncic, Bagley and Jackson. The next 3 are Bamba, Young and Carter Jr. Then you have the wildcard which is Porter.

The Bulls are weak at Center and a wing spot. The safe route would be to pick whichever Center is available between Bamba or Carter and try to sign a wing. Jabari Parker is available via free agency and if healthy is a real nice player. Between him and LaVine, they'd have no wings with knees, but who needs those things?

The other option is to take Porter who could be the best player in the draft. Back issues could derail his career, but I think he'll be ok and I'm hoping the Bulls take this route.

I would not take Trae Young. Too small, no defense, ISO player that will get lost with NBA defenders.

I would look for a back up PG with the 22nd pick. I hope Aaron Holiday falls, but Jalen Brunson or De'Anthony Melton are possible.

Reactions: NUCat320
There seems to be a top 4 of Ayton, Doncic, Bagley and Jackson. The next 3 are Bamba, Young and Carter Jr. Then you have the wildcard which is Porter.

The Bulls are weak at Center and a wing spot. The safe route would be to pick whichever Center is available between Bamba or Carter and try to sign a wing. Jabari Parker is available via free agency and if healthy is a real nice player. Between him and LaVine, they'd have no wings with knees.

The other option is to take Porter who could be the best player in the draft. Back issues could derail his career, but I think he'll be ok.

I would not take Trae Young. Too small, no defense, ISO player that will get lost with NBA defenders.

I don't see anyone putting Jackson in that top 3. Bamba is with that group. Porter and Jackson are in the next tier.

Carter has a high floor, but not an exciting ceiling. He'll be solid player. As I said, I'd rather we swing for the fences and aim for a potential franchise player. I'm not sure Porter is potentially the best player in the draft - he's as weak for a big man as Young is for a guard, and a you pointed out that back is troublesome, but I'd prefer him to Carter. Of course of the three you gotta take Bamba - if he's still there at 7, which I doubt, then you take him.

I get the reservations on Young vis a vis his size and defensive concerns, but frankly, everything you just said about him is exactly what they said about Steph Curry, and Young was arguably more impressive in his one year at OU than Steph did. How many players have ever lead the nation in both points and assists? And Trae did hit a wall when defences keyed on him and doubled and tripled him regularly. They won't be able to do that in the League. He's small, but he's already getting bigger and the bet is that he makes it like Steph did and like AI did. I don't know - I read the ESPN article on him, his story, his work ethic, his desire. And all I know is I wouldn't bet against him.

If Lonzo Ball is a #2 pick, not sure why people would be lower on Young. I'd take Young over Ball any day of the week.

My take is that you try to fill you roster gaps if there are no potential program changers out there. You don't take a Sam Bowie over a Michael Jordan just because you need a big. If Bamba and Young are on the board, I take them in that order over need. (Bamba of course fits a need as well).

Are you referring to the Hutchinson kid? A nice player but if Divincenzo is there, they’d be stupid to pass him up. I have a feeling and fear Danny Ainge is going to find a way to get Donte.

I am. They seem overly locked in to Hutchinson which is what this FO too often does

I agree we would probably have to trade up to get Bamba and I think the Bulls May be willing to do that.

They should feel free to throw Denzel Valentine into the deal. Even if after the fact. Like, "thanks for doing the deal and to show our appreciation we're giving you Denzel, no strings attached."

They should feel free to throw Denzel Valentine into the deal. Even if after the fact. Like, "thanks for doing the deal and to show our appreciation we're giving you Denzel, no strings attached."

LOL. How about we give them Grant also? I have no use for either of those guys.

I don't see anyone putting Jackson in that top 3. Bamba is with that group. Porter and Jackson are in the next tier.

Carter has a high floor, but not an exciting ceiling. He'll be solid player. As I said, I'd rather we swing for the fences and aim for a potential franchise player. I'm not sure Porter is potentially the best player in the draft - he's as weak for a big man as Young is for a guard, and a you pointed out that back is troublesome, but I'd prefer him to Carter. Of course of the three you gotta take Bamba - if he's still there at 7, which I doubt, then you take him.

I get the reservations on Young vis a vis his size and defensive concerns, but frankly, everything you just said about him is exactly what they said about Steph Curry, and Young was arguably more impressive in his one year at OU than Steph did. How many players have ever lead the nation in both points and assists? And Trae did hit a wall when defences keyed on him and doubled and tripled him regularly. They won't be able to do that in the League. He's small, but he's already getting bigger and the bet is that he makes it like Steph did and like AI did. I don't know - I read the ESPN article on him, his story, his work ethic, his desire. And all I know is I wouldn't bet against him.

If Lonzo Ball is a #2 pick, not sure why people would be lower on Young. I'd take Young over Ball any day of the week.

My take is that you try to fill you roster gaps if there are no potential program changers out there. You don't take a Sam Bowie over a Michael Jordan just because you need a big. If Bamba and Young are on the board, I take them in that order over need. (Bamba of course fits a need as well).
Last year's draft was terrible. This years draft is incredible. Ball wouldn be drafted around 8 this year.

Steph Curry is known for being an incredible worker in the variety of Kobe or Michael. It's a rare quality that I believe very few people possess.

I've see Jackson a lot at 4. I thought I saw a few mock drafts that had Doncic slipping to 4, which I would assume moved Jackson up to 3. I can't find them though.
Jackson at 4
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new...kings-knicks-76ers/1im3m0nu89ukd14427w1qmimc5

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ut-is-he-the-best-player-in-this-years-class/

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

Based on what I have read about Young, I am terrified the Bulls will take him.

Me too. They may have no choice. If the top six goes the way I suspect and the Bulls are unable trade up or down, they may have no choice but to take Young.

The Bulls F’d it up again. Carter is a nice player who if we are lucky turns out to be Bobby Portis. That’s just not the type of impact talent you need to get when you draft at 7. Gar/Pax need to go.

Apparently they tried to trade up for Bamba or Bagley.

The Hawks took Young at #5. Yikes.

Young may end up being a stud.

Carter - not so much. I still think we should have taken a swing here, though with the top 6 gone, not sure who would have been the shot. Maybe Michael Porter Jr. but not sure about that bad back. Maybe Sexton. Carter is ok, given that they didn't have the obvious alternative. If they took him ahead of Young or Bamba, I would have been pissed.

The Bulls F’d it up again. Carter is a nice player who if we are lucky turns out to be Bobby Portis. That’s just not the type of impact talent you need to get when you draft at 7. Gar/Pax need to go.

I think it's a bit of an upgrade on Portis and the second pick is a bit of an upgrade on Valentine (more athletic but not the same passing/shooting...ok, maybe not an upgrade to valentine).

I tell you who Carter reminds me of.....David Greenwood. In 79 the bulls lost the coin flip to the Lakers. The Lakers took Magic Johnson and the Bulls took David Greenwood. Greenwood was a sturdy, serviceable power forward who did everything well but wasn't outstanding in any one area.

What's depressing about this is that the Bulls f'd up the year-long tank and ended up with this. This is now what you tank for.

Carter’s most frequent comp is Al Horford, whose skillset and demeanor make him everyone’s favorite teammate.

I’m no guru, but I don’t get all the negativity about Carter. He sounds like a very good player—rebounding, passing, outside shooting—and a very good teammate and hard worker. It’s certainly a safe pick, but he’s a very good complement to the current group.
I agree. Floor is Taj Gibson. Ceiling is Karl Malone. He’ll be productive, and he’ll fit perfectly next to King Lauri.

Reactions: haywood jahblowme
I think it's a bit of an upgrade on Portis and the second pick is a bit of an upgrade on Valentine (more athletic but not the same passing/shooting...ok, maybe not an upgrade to valentine).

I tell you who Carter reminds me of.....David Greenwood. In 79 the bulls lost the coin flip to the Lakers. The Lakers took Magic Johnson and the Bulls took David Greenwood. Greenwood was a sturdy, serviceable power forward who did everything well but wasn't outstanding in any one area.

What's depressing about this is that the Bulls f'd up the year-long tank and ended up with this. This is now what you tank for.

Agreed. The Bulls draft will enable the team to improve back to mediocrity but these two guys are not difference makers. Let’s hope Markannen and Levine continue developing into the star players I think they can be. I really hope the Bulls take a chance in free agency. Jabari Parker is a wing player I would take a chance on despite the injury concerns. They also need another point guard.

Well at least they got the second best player from Duke, or maybe the third or... At least that they didn't get Young.

We're not talking about Trae Young's suit. I'm not a reliable prognosticator on much of anything and fashion is probably on the top of that list. But I'm going out on a very thin limb to say that style will not catch on.

But God bless him. I love it when they throw it all out there with the cloths. It's the greatest.

We're not talking about Trae Young's suit. I'm not a reliable prognosticator on much of anything and fashion is probably on the top of that list. But I'm going out on a very thin limb to say that style will not catch on.

But God bless him. I love it when they throw it all out there with the cloths. It's the greatest.
What is that scarf thing that Carter is wearing?

best-worst-nba-draft-outfits.jpg

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I agree. Floor is Taj Gibson. Ceiling is Karl Malone. He’ll be productive, and he’ll fit perfectly next to King Lauri.

Wow. Karl Malone. Are you serious?

Did see a few articles on Carter that made me warm up a little. Still wanted Young.

http://thesportsdaily.com/2018/06/18/projecting-nba-draft-prospects-wendell-carter-jr/

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/18/17473842/wendell-carter-marvin-bagley-duke-nba-draft

https://hoopshabit.com/2018/01/21/2018-nba-draft-wendell-carter-deserves-respect/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT