ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFC Championship

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
Down 16-0, most coaches think "gotta get the points" and make the cowardly kick.

Pete Carroll's team won because, among other things, he made the determination that 3 points there was as good as conceding.

The teams who win are the teams who are most creatively committed to trying to win.

(Edited due to typo)
This post was edited on 1/18 7:49 PM by NUCat320

I hated to see the Packers lose but you have to admire the come back.

The Pack lost it with about 5:30 left and they ran the ball three times and punted. They went into prevent offense and it worked. They prevented a win.

By the way, I HATE the Seagulls! I hope the Patriots expose them for the 5-dimensional team that they are.

BayArea Wildcat posted:

"By the way, I HATE the Seagulls! I hope the Patriots expose them for the 5-dimensional team that they are."

I am an avid Hawks fan. They play hard. Most Hawk fans will miss Harbaugh and the best rivalry in football. I hope they bury the Niners next year.

Rodgers - 19-34 for 178 yds and 2 Ints (51 QBR); sacked 1 time

Wilson - 14-29 for 209 yds and 4 Ints (13.6 QBR); sacked 5 times (no.s look better due to the OT TD)

Both teams, esp, Seattle relied on its run game.

Luck - 12/33 for 126 yds and 2 Ints (23 QBR)

All these QBs are top 5 (Rodgers is probably no.1) and yet, when they face good Ds or defenses that have the edge that day, their nos. look below avg. to horrible.

On the other side, dOSU was able to win the NC with its 3rd string QB b/c it had the edge in talent all around, esp. the O-line.

Jones has tons of potential (can be a more mobile Roethlisberger, tho not a dual-threat QB), but all he really had to do is manage the dOSU O, make a few plays on 3rd down and limit the mistakes.

The dOSU loss to VATech was due to the remade dOSU O-line not yet having gelled yet and the VATech coaches pulling something out of the hat from decades ago which confused the dOSU O (here's where better gameplanning by coaches made a big diff.).

While the 'Cats need some more quick/fast skill players at WR, the 'Cats aren't going to get that next level until Fitz and crew make the O-line one of the better ones in the B1G (same goes for the D-line).

Before Dantonio took over, the 'Cats were the program in better shape - and yet, MSU is one of the few programs to have consecutive top 5 finishes and 2 big bowl wins in a row, and that's with a non-mobile QB.

Kill put together 2 pretty good seasons for the Gophers w/ basically the same formula.

They lost it by bone-heading an onside kick, running the ball was not the problem. Special teams cost Green Bay a Super Bowl appearance.

Northwestern's win against Notre Dame this season was in many ways mirrored by today's game. But for those parallel two point conversions so late in the game when all hope seemed to be gone there would have been different outcomes.

Is there any point in even watching the SuperBowl now? There is no way it can top what we saw today in Seattle.

Originally posted by BayAreaWildcat:
The Pack lost it with about 5:30 left and they ran the ball three times and punted. They went into prevent offense and it worked. They prevented a win.And the play before that possesion, sliding after an INT with 15-20 yards of open field (maybe a pick-6, maybe into FG range) probably cost them the game.

Interesteing that Bostick messed up the onsides kick. But he really messed it up, because he was supposed to block and let Jordy catch it. Watch the replay, its going right to Jordy and the guy who gets the ball is the guy Bostick was supposed to block.

Just a colossal meltdown with many mistakes by GB, coaching and players.

wicker posted:

"Can't get fooled by fake FG when you're up 16"

IMO easy to get fooled by this play as GB crashes its ends on FG attempts and I think this is the first fake FG called by Pete Carrol in his Seattle career. He is a vanilla coach.

Originally posted by Deep Purr:
wicker posted:

"Can't get fooled by fake FG when you're up 16"

IMO easy to get fooled by this play as GB crashes its ends on FG attempts and I think this is the first fake FG called by Pete Carrol in his Seattle career. He is a vanilla coach.
Let them kick it. 16-3 isn't that worse than 16-0. Sea doesn't get any mo shift out of it either

The Pack had to try hard to come up with a way that Seattle could win the game, but the Hawks did make the plays when it mattered. How many times have you seen a receiver out there all alone drop an EZ throw?

Originally posted by Alaskanwildkat:
Is there any point in even watching the SuperBowl now? There is no way it can top what we saw today in Seattle.
While Green Bay-Seattle gave us one of the most dramatic finishes of all-time, let's not forget that it was a snoozer for 3.5 quarters. Green Bay did not play particularly well and Seattle was worse than I've ever seen them for most of the game. I'm hoping that the Super Bowl is at least a well-played game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT