ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL Draft 2020

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
There is actually going to be a fresh new sports-related event - the 2020 NFL draft, on Thursday April 23. Can't wait!

Bengals are picking first, following by the Redskins, Lions, Giants, and Dolphins to round out the top five, barring any trades of course. Who goes first - Joe Burrow or Chase Young?

There is actually going to be a fresh new sports-related event - the 2020 NFL draft, on Thursday April 23. Can't wait!

Bengals are picking first, following by the Redskins, Lions, Giants, and Dolphins to round out the top five, barring any trades of course. Who goes first - Joe Burrow or Chase Young?

I can’t wait either. No question, joe burrow goes first. Hoping my Bears are lucky enough to draft Minnesota’s safety Antoine Winfield Jr. with one of their two second round picks.

I can’t wait either. No question, joe burrow goes first. Hoping my Bears are lucky enough to draft Minnesota’s safety Antoine Winfield Jr. with one of their two second round picks.

Some mock drafts have Winfield going late in the first round.

It doesn't seem any Cats will be drafted this year, but some lucky team is going to sign UFA Gaziano.

Is ESPN carrying it? If so I will now need to dig up a program guide to find out ESPN's channel number.

Yes. NFL Network as well. I prefer the coverage provided by the latter.

Thanks.

I guess I should have added a /s to my post. ESPN has seemed so unwatchable of late with their bizzare coverages of non events. It will be nice to actually see something again with current relevance.

Linking below Lance Zierlien's scouting report on Gaz. I think he does a pretty good job with his assessments. Gaz projects to be a 7th rounder/priority free agent but I do think he will end up being a rotational contributor in the NFL over time.

Also here is the summary scouting report for Gaz from Dane Bruegler at The Athletic. Similar conclusions but not as insightful as Zierlien in my opinion.

"SUMMARY: A three-star recruit out of high school, Joseph “Joe” Gaziano (gah-zee-AH-no) captained the football and lacrosse teams at Xaverian Brothers, finishing his senior year with 53 tackles, 21.0 tackles for loss and 16.0 sacks. He was the No. 1 ranked recruit in Massachusetts and committed to Northwestern over Boston College. Gaziano started all 39 games the last three seasons and finished No. 1 in school history in sacks (30.0) and No. 2 in tackles for loss (48.5). A well-built end, Gaziano plays with power through his arms and sees through blockers to set a stout edge. He sniffs out screens and demonstrates the recognition skills to get his hands on the ball (10 forced fumbles, 15 pass breakups). As a pass rusher, his hands are heavy, but so are his feet, lacking the suddenness to threaten gaps vs. NFL blockers. Overall, Gaziano shows a genuine passion for the game and brings it every snap, but he is a marginal athlete by NFL standards, projecting as a base end.

GRADE: Priority Free Agent"

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joseph-gaziano?id=32194741-5a42-6541-8d4c-9d136fb0020f

Also highly recommend the Draft Simulator on this site for those of you who are NFL Draft junkies and have time on your hands. You can pick your team and run it manually with you making the picks/trades for your team or you can just set it on auto draft and run through several different scenarios. I've been playing around with it for the last few days and found it entertaining.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Wouldn't disagree, Corbi, but everything I'm reading is suggesting they're prioritizing cornerback over safety, having already committed a ton of money to Eddie Jackson.

Thanks.

I guess I should have added a /s to my post. ESPN has seemed so unwatchable of late with their bizzare coverages of non events. It will be nice to actually see something again with current relevance.
After an amicable divorce several years ago, I find that formulaic competition shows on the Food Network and I are rekindling our love. Some days, it feels like me and Chopped are teenagers all over again.

Wouldn't disagree, Corbi, but everything I'm reading is suggesting they're prioritizing cornerback over safety, having already committed a ton of money to Eddie Jackson.

CB is also a need but I would prioritize safety. I like some of the young players the Bears have at CB whereas I don’t like any of the safeties they have besides Jackson. They need an in the box type safety that can enable Jackson to go back to the Centerfield free safety role he played so well as a rookie. Last year Jackson had to play near the line of scrimmage much more because Clinton Dix was not a true strong safety and Jackson’s production fell way off. Ultimately it depends on who is there in the 2nd. Winfield, Chinn and Dugger are safeties I like who compliment Jackson well. On the hand, if a CB like Jaylon Johnson from Utah is there, he’d be hard to pass up. I also like Fulton from LSU and Dantzler from MSU. Having said all that, I think the Bears top need is OL. Guys like Isaiah Wilson, Robert Hunt and the Jackson kid from USC are perfect fits for the Bears.

The NFL draft is 8pm Eastern tonight. Probably will get its highest ratings ever.

The NFL draft is 8pm Eastern tonight. Probably will get its highest ratings ever.
Adam Schefter, leading NFL fanboy, a few weeks ago said something about “people dying in the streets” while expressing shock that the NFL was insisting the show must go on with the draft. I’ll admit that I haven’t turned on ESPN for at least a month — that part of my brain is mostly turned off. (Board games, Food network, way more news than I’m used to.)

I think a lot of people are in my shoes.

The Falcons.com writer revealed this week that he’d been in isolation since last Thursday due to contracting the virus (though he was still cranking content). His message: No, really, this virus is serious.

Reactions: runawayCat
Adam Schefter, leading NFL fanboy, a few weeks ago said something about “people dying in the streets” while expressing shock that the NFL was insisting the show must go on with the draft. I’ll admit that I haven’t turned on ESPN for at least a month — that part of my brain is mostly turned off. (Board games, Food network, way more news than I’m used to.)

I think a lot of people are in my shoes.

The Falcons.com writer revealed this week that he’d been in isolation since last Thursday due to contracting the virus (though he was still cranking content). His message: No, really, this virus is serious.
Eff Schefter's comment. People who want to watch COVID-19 coverage on MSNBC or Fox News (depending on their leaning) 24 7 can do so. A lot of people want the diversion of sports, even if it is the NFL draft. The virus is very serious. So are numerous other challenges people face from which sports can be a welcome relief.

Eff Schefter's comment. People who want to watch COVID-19 coverage on MSNBC or Fox News (depending on their leaning) 24 7 can do so. A lot of people want the diversion of sports, even if it is the NFL draft. The virus is very serious. So are numerous other challenges people face from which sports can be a welcome relief.

People are dying for some live sports.

People are dying in the streets? I cannot say I have seen that. Must be the same news group that claimed people are being denied ventilators (NYT).

People are dying in the streets? I cannot say I have seen that. Must be the same news group that claimed people are being denied ventilators (NYT).

Not the same, but in the US we typically don't see people taking bodybags to the morgue in the back of pickups. This happened in Philadephia a couple of days ago.

f666b3fe12f9cdb4a9b16ee1cd6b67d8

dOSU guys go 1-2-3. Burrow ended up at LSU but started at dOSU.

Reactions: corbi296
Convenient memory loss, perhaps, but I saw during the draft that LSU WR Justin Jefferson's only other offers were from Tulane, Nicholls State and Northwestern. Were we ever close to getting him (i.e., LSU offered late)?

Bingo. Our family had a zoom draft party last night from points around the country. It was great fun. A welcome diversion from the constant streaming of COVID-19 coverage. You could tell everybody needed an outlet for some pent up energy.

This after getting the welcome news yesterday that the husband (nursing home employee) of my administrative assistant tested negative after being exposed to a known carrier on the job. Things were pretty tense leading up to that news.

Stay safe and Go Cats!

GOUNUII

Convenient memory loss, perhaps, but I saw during the draft that LSU WR Justin Jefferson's only other offers were from Tulane, Nicholls State and Northwestern. Were we ever close to getting him (i.e., LSU offered late)?

The Rivals database had him as a 2-star recruit with a 5.2 rating, and offers from only LSU and Nicholls State. I would not be surprised if his other offer was from Northwestern State, not our NU. He was a true @Gladeskat certified 2-star.

I saw that NU reference too. Unfortunately I think they meant to say Louisiana based Northwestern State.

Reactions: ricko654321
I saw that NU reference too. Unfortunately I think they meant to say Louisiana based Northwestern State.

I’ve heard this previously. I thought we were in on this kid late in the process. I can’t seem to find anything though. The search function doesn’t go back very far.

Pretty sure Bates was on him early, LSU basically took him due to family ties. Ultimately turned out to be a great decision on their part.

Round 2 starts tonight at 8pm Eastern. Look for the Patriots to make some noise, as they are sitting on the most picks for the rest of the draft. Jalen Hurts is still available, as is Jake Fromm. Perhaps they take Gaziano in a later round?

Reactions: ricko654321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT