ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

The Phillies are just smart enough to understand that the postseason matters more than getting a few extra wins against the Nationals. At least the Cobb County Braves have all those Division pennants to hang in their stadium.
LOL. That team from Cobb County did win the World Series two years ago, so they have that going for them, which is nice.

Good luck to the Phillies. Should be a fun NLCS.

It’s all luck, and sterling pitching from Ranger Suarez and a weeklong layoff from playing competitive games.

The ‘solution’ to this ‘problem’ is to contract the playoffs so that the layoff isn’t there.

Eventually, we’ll get to a point instead where the top two seeds get a 2-0 edge in a five game series over the 7 and 8 teams — the bottom seeds will need a road sweep to advance.

The Braves and Dodgers are great teams.
Oh boo hoo. Poor Braves and Dodgers. They should have just automatically qualified for the NLCS instead of having to play more games against those inferior teams.

The hated Astros also had a five day break between games, and they did just fine. Same thing last year.

What's the excuse for the Rays and Brewers getting punched out in two games (at home, no less)? Were they too tired because they had to play in those early wildcard games?

Quit making excuses and play ball. The Braves and Dodgers lost to better teams when they played them. The Rangers and D-Backs have both blown through two quality opponents without losing a game. It's October baseball.

Oh boo hoo. Poor Braves and Dodgers. They should have just automatically qualified for the NLCS instead of having to play more games against those inferior teams.

The hated Astros also had a five day break between games, and they did just fine. Same thing last year.

What's the excuse for the Rays and Brewers getting punched out in two games (at home, no less)? Were they too tired because they had to play in those early wildcard games?

Quit making excuses and play ball. The Braves and Dodgers lost to better teams when they played them. The Rangers and D-Backs have both blown through two quality opponents without losing a game. It's October baseball.
Absolutely. Boo hoo.

Just like the NCAA tournament, it’s not a measure of the best team, it’s a measure of who was hottest in October. Which is fiiiiiine. It’s historically been *like* that, though it’s become more like that over the last 30 years, and apparently in the last two years.

Under the “old” four-team playoff structure, only one of the final four is there. Again, boooo hoooo.

Like you, I also prefer seeing Tommy Pham bat third in the NLCS. At least he’s not overly distracted by fantasy football shenanigans.

Absolutely. Boo hoo.

Just like the NCAA tournament, it’s not a measure of the best team, it’s a measure of who was hottest in October. Which is fiiiiiine. It’s historically been *like* that, though it’s become more like that over the last 30 years, and apparently in the last two years.

Under the “old” four-team playoff structure, only one of the final four is there. Again, boooo hoooo.

Like you, I also prefer seeing Tommy Pham bat third in the NLCS. At least he’s not overly distracted by fantasy football shenanigans.
I mean, that's sports. If the playoffs are unfair, then just crown the champion from the regular season. Milwaukee had the best record in the NBA last season but lost to the Heat in the first round of the playoffs. The 2007 NE Patriots went 16-0 in the regular season but lost in the Super Bowl. In 1993, both the Braves and Giants were 100 game winners but only the Braves made the playoffs because the two teams were in the same division.

I'm tired of hearing excuses from Braves and Dodgers fans. They lost. Play better next year.

Yeah... I'm really torn on this. On the one hand, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Braves get knocked out. On the other hand, it kind of sucks to see a team that was so clearly the class of the regular season (and finished 13 games ahead of the Phillies in the standings) get knocked out in a best of 5 series. Why go through all those grueling summer months??
They would have lost in a 7 game series too.

Since MLB went to 2 WC teams in 2012, the following has occurred:

2012-2021 (excluding 2020)
LCS Participants - 9 #1 seeds, 8 #2 seeds, 10 #3 seeds, 9 WCs
WS Participants - 7 #1 seeds, 4 #2 seeds, 4 #3 seeds, 3 WCs
WS Winners - 4 #1 seeds, 1 #2 seed, 2 #3 seeds, 2 WCs

2022-2023
LCS Participants - 1 #1 seed, 2 #2 seeds, 0 #3 seeds, 3 WC1/WC2, 2 WC3
WS Participants - 1 #1 seed, 1 WC3, possibility of the #2 or WC2, possibility of the WC1 or WC3
WS Winners - 1 #1 seed

Clearly a small sample size here, but prior to the most recent expansion, it was pretty random who made the LCS in a given year, but top seeds were more likely to make it to and win the World Series if they reached the LCS.

With the results of last year and this year, maybe there's something to the 5-day layoff being a problem, but, for example, the Braves had a 4-day layoff in 2021 and they won the World Series, so maybe they're just psychologically fragile this year instead 🤷‍♂️

• Love
Reactions: NUCat320
I think the regular season is way too long. Cut two weeks worth of games on both ends and add 5-7 true double headers during the season.

Reactions: drewjin
What games tonight. Also an excuse to look at one of those ‘Judge stands next to Altuve’ photos.

What games tonight. Also an excuse to look at one of those ‘Judge stands next to Altuve’ photos.
Regardless of preferred outcome, those were very exciting games. First time two playoff teams on the same day had overcome multi-run deficits in the eighth inning or later to win.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Craig Kimbrel can go walk back to Philly.
He wasn't the only reliever to struggle. They've got to have short memories and get back on the mound tonight if needed. I think the Phillies are still the strong favorite to win the series, with Wheeler going tonight and them still having home field advantage.

He wasn't the only reliever to struggle. They've got to have short memories and get back on the mound tonight if needed. I think the Phillies are still the strong favorite to win the series, with Wheeler going tonight and them still having home field advantage.
Philly has been using the bullpen like it’s game seven since the start of the playoffs. Those guys are overworked.

Sanchez got yanked having allowed an infield single and a groundball single up the middle, on 38 pitches.

I assumed it was another bullpen game when I flipped it on to see Hoffman on in the fourth. But, nope, just a quick GONG from Thompson, again.

Philly has been using the bullpen like it’s game seven since the start of the playoffs. Those guys are overworked.

Sanchez got yanked having allowed an infield single and a groundball single up the middle, on 38 pitches.

I assumed it was another bullpen game when I flipped it on to see Hoffman on in the fourth. But, nope, just a quick GONG from Thompson, again.
In the bottom of the second, Sanchez inexplicably lost track of the number of outs. He threw to first on a grounder back to the mound, when he should have gone to second to get the lead runner and possibly turn a double play. That runner on first was the result of a throwing error by Bohm on a routine error, and he later scored. Point being, there was plenty of blame to go around beyond the bullpen guys.

Get back out there tonight and hope Wheeler can go late into the game. Get a day off tomorrow to rest, and then close them out at home.

In the bottom of the second, Sanchez inexplicably lost track of the number of outs. He threw to first on a grounder back to the mound, when he should have gone to second to get the lead runner and possibly turn a double play. That runner on first was the result of a throwing error by Bohm on a routine error, and he later scored. Point being, there was plenty of blame to go around beyond the bullpen guys.

Get back out there tonight and hope Wheeler can go late into the game. Get a day off tomorrow to rest, and then close them out at home.
Phillies and Rangers Achilles heel is the bullpen. You can’t give up a hit to Diaz who was 0-10 to lead off the inning and walk Singleton who looked like he didn’t even want to swing.

Phillies and Rangers Achilles heel is the bullpen. You can’t give up a hit to Diaz who was 0-10 to lead off the inning and walk Singleton who looked like he didn’t even want to swing.
Leclerc has been solid. He got the save in the first two games. Yesterday, he no doubt was affected by sitting on the bench for nearly 30 minutes in the bottom of the eighth during all the drama and fallout over Garcia getting hit.

Regardless of whether he thought it was intentional, Garcia should have just walked to first. They were up by two and had a chance to break it open. Instead, he got tossed and the situation spun out of control, with Dusty no doubt deliberately drawing it out by arguing and refusing to leave the dugout. When the game finally made it to the ninth inning, Leclerc was out of rhythm and cold. Garcia and the Rangers need to be smarter than that.

Leclerc has been solid. He got the save in the first two games. Yesterday, he no doubt was affected by sitting on the bench for nearly 30 minutes in the bottom of the eighth during all the drama and fallout over Garcia getting hit.

Regardless of whether he thought it was intentional, Garcia should have just walked to first. They were up by two and had a chance to break it open. Instead, he got tossed and the situation spun out of control, with Dusty no doubt deliberately drawing it out by arguing and refusing to leave the dugout. When the game finally made it to the ninth inning, Leclerc was out of rhythm and cold. Garcia and the Rangers need to be smarter than that.
Great job by Dusty. There are two good old school Managers in that series.

Reactions: NU Houston
Yes, but only Kimbrel is reminding me of my first sports trauma from 30 years ago, that being Mitch Williams.

🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Sorry, phans.

(@CappyNU deleted a thread I started. It was OT. Vengeance is mine.)
I did not delete anything, remember that there are 3 moderators and any of them can delete things. In this case Mr. Shelton was the grim reaper to your thread.

Let's not talk about the Phillies...

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Just one two-week collapse and Grandpa Rossy is out of his job with the Cubs.
He was given a total rebuild job and I think overall that he did well to make them competitive again. The Cubs have certainly improved from the team he started with. I wanted to give him another season to see if they could take that next step to the playoffs.

Oh well. I think Ross will get another opportunity somewhere. lunker35 explained that it's common in baseball to shake up the management to avoid complacency, or something like that.

The White Sox need to trade Yoan for a bag of balls. Eloy would be a great 16 inch softball player. Pedro makes Foster look like Sparky Anderson. What a terrible representation of an organization this team has become.

Ok, just really wanted to make sure my favorite thread survives to 2024 before the “closed to new replies” tag gets applied. Conversation needs to remain on point!

Of course, at this point it’s the Dodgers and their eleventy billion dollar payroll against everybody else

Reactions: rmndcat
Well to stay on topic, with Shohei, the Dodgers don't really need a designated hitter, at least not for the pitcher.

And the Dodgers likely will still find a way to lose in the NLDS to a western division team they beat all year long.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT