ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

and also regarding Kopech - with his atypical service time - it wasn't coronavirus or his divorce that was the reasoning for opting out, it was 100% purely money related. My college roommate is a pretty big agent and he broke it down for me a while back. Kopech was basically rolling the dice on getting paid around 300K this year (more like 100K after taxes, union dues, etc) and going for the 10s of millions a year earlier. It was purely a financial decision and any agent would have instructed him to make the move that he did from what I'm aware

I do know that Schwarber is an overall better player then Eaton, numbers be dammed. Also know that the Cubs have and will continue to draw more fans! Baseball? Well played in the state finals in high school, played at a JC and walked on at a Power 5 school. Gee think I know a bit about baseball, at least a hell of a lot more than you.

By played, he means in the band.

And willy, that mindset about schwarber, numbers be dammed, qualifies you to be the next bears gm.

Yeah...guys like Joc or Brantley could have potentially been better options if it wasn't RF the Sox were looking to fill. That said, I don't mind having a guy who profiles differently from the HR or whiff mold. I like having a higher OBP guy in that spot since there is a lot of power elsewhere in the lineup. I would love if they batted Eaton 9th to alternate sides of the plate and put another higher OBP guy in front of the top of the lineup. Would be great to sign a LH bat to DH until Vaughn is ready. Even though he is supposed to rake, it would be ideal to have a veteran to take the pressure off since he hasn't really played above Single A. Just don't think Joc wants to repeat that gig outside of L.A. and am pretty certain Brantley can probably get a better offer, but Mitch Moreland? Shin-Soo Choo?

Maddy, TA, moncada, eloy, grandal is lineup of the future. And that has no 1B, DH and little OF. SPs built around Gig w Dallas and Lynn w all that young talent. A pretty impressive bullpen. And all that is set for years. Loving this team.

Actually agree with this. The difference maker is obviously Trevor Bauer. If he really wants a one year deal, overpay and get him. How often do you get a chance at a top of the rotation guy on a one year deal. No 7 or 8 year commitment required. Eaton is dirt cheap, but his shenanigans in the Drake LaRoache debacle always bugged me. Ozzie hates Eaton, so post game might be must see TV.

I would like to believe they still compete for Bauer. But ultimately, one team gets him, 31 don’t and I would not break the bank here. Now you have a great World Series card to add. If you are a competitive athlete, and you are a fan of short contracts, then I would play the Sox. One or two year deal and a ring or two.

I think that is a pipe dream. The time for the Sox to win is now. Kopech has not yet proven himself capable of being a reliable major league starter, let alone an Ace that can you put on the mound and be confident he is going to win you a World Series game. I doubt he ever becomes that guy but it can’t be reasonably argued that he will be that guy this year. The Sox would be making a mistake putting their eggs is his basket for this year or waiting for him to be come that guy in the years to come. Windows close fast. There are too many variables outside of a team’s control that determine how long their windows last. The time to go for it is now.

I think the Sox have a great 1-3 but imagine for a moment that kopech is a one. That makes this team quite amazing. Offense aside a 1 kopech plus gig, Dallas and Lynn is a great rotation. I could be the fifth starter.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Every time I think reinsdorf has come to his senses his teams pull off a move like this. This has LaRussa written all over it. Adam Engel is just as good if not better than Eaton right now. They should have saved the money as a down payment on a top of the rotation starter.

They swing from different sides and the stats show they are a great platoon.

What I am hearing from Sox fans in general and on this board is the same pitfall that most fan bases fall into when they have a young, ascending team. They fall in love and overvalue their homegrown talent to the point that it hinders their objectivity on what moves need to be made to seriously contend for a World Series. The Cubs did the same and I think it cost them a chance at a second World Series title. Cautionary tale.

Schwarber?

There's never a bad 1 year deal in baseball. Eaton will probably be fine - he'll definitely be better than he was in the 60 game sprint. Everyone deserves a mulligan for that year - one bad 15 game stretch is equivalent to a bad 40 game stretch in a normal year. That can gut a player statistically. Same with 1-2 bad starts for a pitcher or giving up 4 runs in a relief appearance. I'm not worried about Eaton statistically

What I don't want to hear is that they won't operate at the top of the market because of money issues. **** that. They had bottom 5 payrolls for years and they told the fans that that would provide them with economic flexibility to attempt to sign stars when they were in their competitive window. They had George Springer - a player that would have literally set their lineup and it's finances for years on end - right there for the taking. Just had to offer the most money, everything else sells itself (chicago in the summer, winning club, etc.)

But they didn't. They went for a player that was probably 4th tier of the RF available (3rd if you think Brantley is DH only, which I do at this point, though he still rakes)

It's disgusting. A Brantley contract will be 5/100 or so. That's FAR from what Heyward signed for in both dollars and years, so I hate when people use him as a comparison. It's funny to me how a team like the small market Padres has no problem nutting up massive deals for Will Meyers, Eric Hosmer and Manny Machado but the White Sox are crying poor in their market. It's a slap in the face to me as a fan that they are budgeting like they're the Reds but have paid pennies towards payroll in the last 4 years, all things considered.

I agree with most of this except I rather see the money spent on Bauer and wish they offered $40MM for McCann for another four year ride. I think a one patch for reason platooned w Engel works for a year.

Wish list - Bauer and two RPs, one to be top shelf.

Sox sign Cepedes. Not bad, but how good. Rated #1 to far lower by various services. @chicagocatfan24 whats your take? Not a lot in the press these days.

Don’t know anything about him other than what I’ve read, but watched about a half dozen full ABs on YouTube... I’ll guess he’s going to have a ton of XBH, hit around .260-.270 and get on base at a .315ish clip going solely off watching those ABs. Really free swinger but his hands are lightning fast which should help with plate coverage and overcompensating to make contact when he’s outguessed. I can also see him being super streaky offensively. I see a solid regular if he reaches his ceiling, maybe better if his D is as good as they say. He’s 23 so he’s a little easier to project than a typical LatAm signing. Would put his ETA 2023.

Don’t know anything about him other than what I’ve read, but watched about a half dozen full ABs on YouTube... I’ll guess he’s going to have a ton of XBH, hit around .260-.270 and get on base at a .315ish clip going solely off watching those ABs. Really free swinger but his hands are lightning fast which should help with plate coverage and overcompensating to make contact when he’s outguessed. I can also see him being super streaky offensively. I see a solid regular if he reaches his ceiling, maybe better if his D is as good as they say. He’s 23 so he’s a little easier to project than a typical LatAm signing. Would put his ETA 2023.

where do you think colas will land?

Wow - @willycat is really gonna have a rough season next year!

But SD looks stacked! LAD have some serious competition.

They absolutely should be dealing Darvish right now. His value as a Cub will never be higher.
Agree. I think it is the right move. Good prospects, but probably 3 years away.

Babe given away for a bag of balls. Now Yu goes for 4 teenagers. Going to be some rough sledding in Wrigleyville. Willy is going to have a fit when KB is traded at the trade deadline.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Agree. I think it is the right move. Good prospects, but probably 3 years away.

Babe given away for a bag of balls. Now Yu goes for 4 teenagers. Going to be some rough sledding in Wrigleyville. Willy is going to have a fit when KB is traded at the trade deadline.

Came here to see if Willy had anything to say about the move tonight. Bet he's conjuring up a really witty attendance joke right now. At least Cubs fans have a completely unalienated Wrigleyville to attend this coming summer.... oh wait, it's a giant buffalo wild wings now

Came here to see if Willy had anything to say about the move tonight. Bet he's conjuring up a really witty attendance joke right now. At least Cubs fans have a completely unalienated Wrigleyville to attend this coming summer.... oh wait, it's a giant buffalo wild wings now

Think this is part of the whole minor league realignment? Wonder who gets AAAA Wrigley Cubs?

Reports indicating Schwarber got a 1 year $10 million deal. I find it shocking that he got that amount of money in this market coming off the year he just had.

Reports indicating Schwarber got a 1 year $10 million deal. I find it shocking that he got that amount of money in this market coming off the year he just had.

Same. Assume we're running our bet back?

And also, @willycat just checking to see if you heard the news on Schwarber. A little birdie tells me they're about to trade another star. They might not crack 70 wins next year!!! Wrigley is in shambles!!!

ADVERTISEMENT