ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

Who is the White Sox pitching coach now? It isn't Cooper now who got Quintana to success. Know nothing about Katz

Katz is Giolito's HS/offseason pitching coach. He's worked as a consultant for a few different pro orgs and is thought of as a rising star in coaching. The White Sox are very lucky to have him. Giolito swears by him

Yep, already all but done. I also think Rodon will be returning to the South Side as well.
John Mozeliak seems to be trying to reprise the old strategies of his former boss, Walt Jocketty. Walt’s best skill was buying distressed valuable assets at bargain prices. In other words, he would find an all-star player on a team at an impasse, usually impending free agency with no ability to resign, and trade for that player with diminished assets. He did this with Scott Rolen, Mark McGwire, Larry Walker, Woody Williams, Will Clark, and a few others. He also took a lot of flyers on retreads, some of which struck gold—Chris Carpenter and Ryan Franklin come to mind—and others of which failed miserably (Ryan Theriot, Brett Tomko, Kip Wells). A lot of this was done out of necessity, as the Cardinals drafting and player development was really pretty bad at that time.

Mozeliak has proven himself to be especially good at handing out expensive contracts to overpriced, crappy mid tier agents. Hopefully he is done with those follies, guys like Dexter Fowler, Mike Leake, Luke Gregorson, Johnny Peralta, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: chicagocatfan24
John Mozeliak seems to be trying to reprise the old strategies of his former boss, Walt Jocketty. Walt’s best skill was buying distressed valuable assets at bargain prices. In other words, he would find an all-star player on a team at an impasse, usually impending free agency with no ability to resign, and trade for that player with diminished assets. He did this with Scott Rolen, Mark McGwire, Larry Walker, Woody Williams, Will Clark, and a few others. He also took a lot of flyers on retreads, some of which struck gold—Chris Carpenter and Ryan Franklin come to mind—and others of which failed miserably (Ryan Theriot, Brett Tomko, Kip Wells). A lot of this was done out of necessity, as the Cardinals drafting and player development was really pretty bad at that time.

Mozeliak has proven himself to be especially good at handing out expensive contracts to overpriced, crappy mid tier agents. Hopefully he is done with those follies, guys like Dexter Fowler, Mike Leake, Luke Gregorson, Johnny Peralta, etc
Uggh.... I hate having to admit this to you.... but the Cardinals are just such a much better run organization than the Reds. Arenado now on the Cards? As I said.... Uggh!!!

Uggh.... I hate having to admit this to you.... but the Cardinals are just such a much better run organization than the Reds. Arenado now on the Cards? As I said.... Uggh!!!
Well, the results on the field say so. But I haven’t been thrilled with their approach lately. They gave up a lot for Goldschmidt’s declining years, and now this. Hopefully his bat is not a product of Coors.

Hey 24, what’s the deal with Cubs signing Joc? Is this a sign and flip at the trade deadline? He seems like he is basically Babe, why not just keep him. Could have had Lester for a year at less than $5M, but seem to be in hot pursuit of other reclamation projects like Archer, Rodon and the Shark. 500 might win this division. What are earth are they doing?
The Cubs don’t know what they’re doing either.

Joc is, I think, both cheaper and better than Schwarber. The fact that the entire NL Central has committed to losing means that the Cubs will have an opportunity to win the division, so might as well buy a cheap bat and then see what happens. (Maybe the Cards were waiting until the Cubs moved to make their deal, just cuz.)

The Cubs don’t know what they’re doing either.

Joc is, I think, both cheaper and better than Schwarber. The fact that the entire NL Central has committed to losing means that the Cubs will have an opportunity to win the division, so might as well buy a cheap bat and then see what happens.
Yet the Cardinals trade for Arrendo. They should moon walk to the division title.

Reactions: IGNORE2
$340 M over 14 years for Tatis Jr.

I wonder what James Shields is up to.

I love James Shields even though he was completely cooked when he was on the Sox. Kopech and Gio speak the world about him and how much he helped them grow when he was here. He could be a pitching coach one day. Wasn't his fault the Sox made the worst trade in MLB history...

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Also - someone asked me this on Twitter yesterday:

What's worse: passing on Mahomes/Watson for Mitch or Trading Tatis, Jr. for Shields?
Tatis was not highly regarded as a prospect when he was traded, right? He was still very young, and had not grown into the big guy (6'3" 215) that he is now. His dad was only about 5'10", but obviously a pretty good hitter who flamed out pretty early.

I fell in love with Watson when he beat Bama in that title game. I knew nothing about Mahomes, other than his dad had a 10+ year career in baseball.

Missing out on a talent like Tatis is tough to swallow, but trading prospects does not destroy a franchise (unless you trade most of them and get poop in return).

But in the NFL, you cannot win without a QB. And if you trade lots of capital to draft one, and draft the wrong one, you have created a big problem that could tie you in knots for several years.

VERDICT: Pace blew it

Last edited:
Also - someone asked me this on Twitter yesterday:

What's worse: passing on Mahomes/Watson for Mitch or Trading Tatis, Jr. for Shields?
Hahn had a massive blunder on this one, but he was 17 years old at the time. I would feel a lot worse if we didn’t have TA. Guy is a stud and stirs the drink for the cocktail.

Also, the Eaton, Quintana, and Sale trades were great to good trades.

Hahn had a massive blunder on this one, but he was 17 years old at the time. I would feel a lot worse if we didn’t have TA. Guy is a stud and stirs the drink for the cocktail.

Also, the Eaton, Quintana, and Sale trades were great to good trades.

Agreed. Hahn takes the L publicly on this all the time too.

As for Schwarber/Joc, I agree. Not sure what th point was there. I do imagine Joc will be flipped at the deadline too, yeah.

We’ve made it everybody. Willy, what’s going on with the cubs and Rizzo? Ricketts doesn’t wanna pay him I hear?!? It’s a MESS on the north side!!!

Happy Opening Day from the (fan of the) Original Professional Baseball Franchise!

Scenes from Opening Day:

Miggy Cabrera homering in a snow squall at Comerica Park.

27 degree windchill at Wrigley Field

Gerrit Cole needing 97 pitches to get 16 outs

Three high school teammates, Lucas Giolito, Max Fried, and Jack Flaherty, all starting today for their respective clubs.

Good to have baseball back!

Funny, bizarre play in Coors: Justin Turner on first, and Bellinger launches one to the wall in left. The Rockies LF gloves it at the wall, but it squeezes out--and over the fence. Turner, thinking the ball was caught, races back to first, passing Bellinger, who was in home run trot mode halfway to second base.

Bellinger is out for "passing" Turner (who actually passed Bellinger in reverse). Turner scores. Bellinger credited with a single.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Scenes from Opening Day:

Glad it's back -- don't think I'm going to miss the lead-off 2-run HR

i

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Scenes from Opening Day:

27 degree windchill at Wrigley Field

Gerrit Cole needing 97 pitches to get 16 outs

Three high school teammates, Lucas Giolito, Max Fried, and Jack Flaherty, all starting today for their respective clubs.

Good to have baseball back!
Unless you’re a Reds fan. Good lord is this going to be a boring season.

Outside of the NL, you mean. The Dodgers, Padres, Mets and Nats all have very formidable rotations.
Nope, meant as I said best in the Bigs. The BP is filthy. Almost everyone of them go three digits in velo. Multiple guys that would be closers on other teams. If Cease is what he has been in Spring, the first 4 are all good. Gio, Dallas, Lance Lynn, Cease and even Rodon has picked it up. I think there are more question marks on O. Every pitcher gets rocked sometimes, I’ll take my chances here.

Nope, meant as I said best in the Bigs. The BP is filthy. Almost everyone of them go three digits in velo. Multiple guys that would be closers on other teams. If Cease is what he has been in Spring, the first 4 are all good. Gio, Dallas, Lance Lynn, Cease and even Rodon has picked it up. I think there are more question marks on O. Every pitcher gets rocked sometimes, I’ll take my chances here.
Never, ever fall in love during spring training. Nor September, for that matter.

Or maybe the White Sox will be the sellers. Lots of injuries. Guess they are busy celebrating that World Series victory and not taking care of their bodies.
The Cubs roster is built for a sell off with lots of serviceable arms on cheap or expiring contracts: Davies, Kimbrel, Arrieta, Winkler, Workman, to name a few. Pederson could easily be dealt. Heyward too if a contending team has an injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT