ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

After a rough west coast start, Sox appear to be coming together despite some key injuries. That Lynn pick up looks pretty good after two starts. And love the new Sox Mercedes. Wish he had gotten a a chance last year. The perfect DH.

After a rough west coast start, Sox appear to be coming together despite some key injuries. That Lynn pick up looks pretty good after two starts. And love the new Sox Mercedes. Wish he had gotten a a chance last year. The perfect DH.
I love Mercedes' story. If you look at his minor league stats, he goes back to age 18 as a Nats' international FA signee. 10 years and 3 organizations (and plenty of time in the Indy league) later, he's rockin' a 1.460 OPS in the Bigs. I think the bat is real, as he hit at AA and AAA in recent tours there. Maybe he can stick around a bit. He will be a FA in 2027!

I love Mercedes' story. If you look at his minor league stats, he goes back to age 18 as a Nats' international FA signee. 10 years and 3 organizations (and plenty of time in the Indy league) later, he's rockin' a 1.460 OPS in the Bigs. I think the bat is real, as he hit at AA and AAA in recent tours there. Maybe he can stick around a bit. He will be a FA in 2027!
2027??? How old is he again?

2027??? How old is he again?
Willy, you can do the math. He was 18 ten years ago...

This is the rare story of a guy who sticks at it and toils in the minors for years, and then gets a shot and makes the most of it. It’s impossible not to root for these guys.

his arb clock only just started. He will probably never see post-arb free agency and sign a big deal, but hopefully he can stick a few years and get a ring!

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Willy, you can do the math. He was 18 ten years ago...

This is the rare story of a guy who sticks at it and toils in the minors for years, and then gets a shot and makes the most of it. It’s impossible not to root for these guys.

his arb clock only just started. He will probably never see post-arb free agency and sign a big deal, but hopefully he can stick a few years and get a ring!
Willy just refuses to acknowledge a good story due to his hatred of the White Sox.

If there is one position where a guy can hang around in baseball, backup catcher might be it. Guys like Chris Widger, Gary Bennet, Kelly Stinnet, Matt Weiters, etc. played well into their 30s...

meh - not much of a catcher - but as the struggle to actually hit while DH is real and a thing, those very few (Albert Belle?) that succeed are super valuable in a DH league. So if this is not a flash in the pants, Mercedes can have a long DH career. Still, in that case, I bet the Sox offer to lock him up with a payday to take away arb years. And besides, I will never cry for the riches made by athletes and movie stars - I think they are a great reason for a wealth tax or more taxes on the rich.

meh - not much of a catcher - but as the struggle to actually hit while DH is real and a thing, those very few (Albert Belle?) that succeed are super valuable in a DH league. So if this is not a flash in the pants, Mercedes can have a long DH career. Still, in that case, I bet the Sox offer to lock him up with a payday to take away arb years. And besides, I will never cry for the riches made by athletes and movie stars - I think they are a great reason for a wealth tax or more taxes on the rich.
Heheheh

They would be crazy to buy out any arb years right now with his clock just starting. He won't be arb-eligible until 2024. They have his rights for the next 3 years at the minimum. At worst, he hits like crazy and becomes a Super 2 guy (unlikely), and they loose one year of cheap hitting. DH guys are not exactly highly valued on the open market.

Last edited:
They would be crazy to buy out any arb years right now with his clock just starting. He won't be arb-eligible until 2024. They have his rights for the next 3 years at the minimum. At worst, he hits like crazy and becomes a Super 2 guy (unlikely), and they loose one year of cheap hitting. DH guys are not exactly highly valued on the open market.

Let’s hope he performs to push the issue

Damn, if the Sox didn’t have bad luck, they would have no luck. Ok, what do they do - hold steady, find short term rental at lower cost, go after longer term splash at higher cost?

Mercedes has plugged the Eloy hole in the lineup, Vaughan is no worse defensively than Eloy in the field and better than 2020 DH offense. Now losing a GG offensive stud is a major hole.

I see cubs talking about playing Bryant in CF and wonder if Vaughn, Eaton, Bryant - left to right - could work. What would a half year Bryant rental cost the Sox?

And does the revive the Puig and Cerpedes possibilities?

Damn, if the Sox didn’t have bad luck, they would have no luck. Ok, what do they do - hold steady, find short term rental at lower cost, go after longer term splash at higher cost?

Mercedes has plugged the Eloy hole in the lineup, Vaughan is no worse defensively than Eloy in the field and better than 2020 DH offense. Now losing a GG offensive stud is a major hole.

I see cubs talking about playing Bryant in CF and wonder if Vaughn, Eaton, Bryant - left to right - could work. What would a half year Bryant rental cost the Sox?

Puig is not coming , at least I hope not.

Last edited:

I must say, I’ve never seen a right hip flexor tear in a baseball player.

Down two major cogs in the system and the Sox are still looking pretty good. Guess for all his hot air, @willycat knew that they were the better team as he avoided my Cubs Sox bet offer for over a year. I wonder if the Sox can rape the Cubs front office again and land Bryant for little of substance...

And every day, I love Mercedes a little bit more. What a great story. Man I hope it goes all the way, wins rookie of the year and maybe gets some MVP votes. Post Eloy, I think he and Rodin brought the most unexpected value to the team by far.

Down two major cogs in the system and the Sox are still looking pretty good. Guess for all his hot air, @willycat knew that they were the better team as he avoided my Cubs Sox bet offer for over a year. I wonder if the Sox can rape the Cubs front office again and land Bryant for little of substance...

And every day, I love Mercedes a little bit more. What a great story. Man I hope it goes all the way, wins rookie of the year and maybe gets some MVP votes. Post Eloy, I think he and Rodin brought the most unexpected value to the team by far.
I have very much enjoyed watching the White Sox hit, and hit, and hit. They lit up poor JA Happ real hard last night.

I am happy to report that my Cardinals are in first place after taking two of three in Milwaukee. But that Brewer rotation, holy cow. Woodruff and Burnes are nearly unhittable, and Peralta can deal too. But they really need Yelich if they are going to have much of a chance.

help me... what title have the White Sox won? Huh?

Maybe the Tim Anderson for MVP campaign can start on the WR NL DH thread 2020. He’s so good.

How about that staff HJ?
Lol. Almost as good as Milwaukee!

jk

Not kidding: tell me with a straight face that you foresaw Rodon and Cease being this good 35 games into the season.

Keuchel’s peripherals aren’t good, but so what? Loved watching Rodon pitch last week using his fastball and slider. His fastball is averaging 95—far above his career best. So I hope it holds.

EDIT: The Sox are absolutely destroying lefties right now--taking them behind the shed and then posting Twitter pics.

Last edited:
Oh, man. I didn’t know Sox and Cub fans are still arguing this round and round and round disagreement. Neither group has said anything original since 1908. Wait after that. The Black Sox scandal brought some originality. As a Cub fan, I never engage. Smart Sox fans don’t either. Too infantile.

• Wow
Oh, man. I didn’t know Sox and Cub fans are still arguing this round and round and round disagreement. Neither group has said anything original since 1908. Wait after that. The Black Sox scandal brought some originality. As a Cub fan, I never engage. Smart Sox fans don’t either. Too infantile.

Definitely infantile. Definitely lots of original material. Definitely a tradition I respect. But could be an OSU or Hairbaugh or Illini hater... (kinda am on those too 🤷‍♂️)

Sox fans are infantile?

ligues919.jpg

Is the point you're making here that the shitheads for the White Sox run onto the field from the stands while the shitheads for the Cubs run there from the dugout?

No, I said the point I'm making. I said there are shitheads everywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT