ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

Javi Baez did the impossible: got into a rundown while headed to first base.

Pirate fans must be apoplectic today.
The truly amusing part is that the run wouldn’t have scored if anyone had just covered first base.

Javy Baez is a truly average player who makes the other team 20% stupider. He is going to get seriously overpaid, I hope by the Tigers.

Last edited:
The truly amusing part is that the run wouldn’t have scored if anyone had just covered first base.

Javy Baez is a truly average player who makes the other team 20% stupider. He is going to get seriously overpaid, I hope by the Tigers.
You obviously don't know average from very exciting player.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2

I am hoping the Cubs will properly pay this very exciting player to a very long term contract and lock him into Cubsdom for the rest of his career :)

I am hoping the Cubs will properly pay this very exciting player to a very long term contract and lock him into Cubsdom for the rest of his career :)
His top similarity score on BBREF is Jonathan Schoop. He's probably a better player than that, but that K rate is headed in the wrong direction. Still, guys who can defend SS at an elite level and hit with that kind of power tend to generate plenty of value.

I cannot imagine he gets Lindor money, at least from the Cubs. But if you can sign him for $160-$180M over 8 years, it's probably worth it (from a WAR perspective).

His top similarity score on BBREF is Jonathan Schoop. He's probably a better player than that, but that K rate is headed in the wrong direction. Still, guys who can defend SS at an elite level and hit with that kind of power tend to generate plenty of value.

I cannot imagine he gets Lindor money, at least from the Cubs. But if you can sign him for $160-$180M over 8 years, it's probably worth it (from a WAR perspective).
You can have him. Too many very good SS out there today and seemingly a few coming up rapidly. I would love to see the Cubs strap him down with a Heyward contract (is that a term now?)

Correa, Story, Seager, Simmons...but I think Story might be the only guy who hits the market worth chasing.
My Sox don't need a SS as Anderson is one of those young, great talents. Outside the pending FAs you mention, there is also Tatis, Bogaerts, Lindor and Turner. Coming soon: Franco, Witt, maybe Downs, Luciano, Abrams.

That is a lot of SS talent. Most teams will only plop down big money if they think they are in a competitive window. With about 15 high caliber SS in the league, I would not pay for Baez - and his baggage and high K rate. But I would love to see the Cubs marry him and therefore keep them away from any of those other potential AS players.

Willy can have all the Baez and Schwarber...oh wait, he gone... And you know Bryant is on his way out. And remain quiet to my regular offering for Cub v Sox win total bets for another 100 years.

My Sox don't need a SS as Anderson is one of those young, great talents. Outside the pending FAs you mention, there is also Tatis, Bogaerts, Lindor and Turner. Coming soon: Franco, Witt, maybe Downs, Luciano, Abrams.

That is a lot of SS talent. Most teams will only plop down big money if they think they are in a competitive window. With about 15 high caliber SS in the league, I would not pay for Baez - and his baggage and high K rate. But I would love to see the Cubs marry him and therefore keep them away from any of those other potential AS players.

Willy can have all the Baez and Schwarber...oh wait, he gone... And you know Bryant is on his way out. And remain quiet to my regular offering for Cub v Sox win total bets for another 100 years.
They are winning so many game early this year against the dregs of the league that they’ll probably sign him to a JHey type of deal that they wish they hadn’t.

I would add Bichette to that list. Although his defense is pretty terrible so he might move away from SS. I honestly don't know why the Jays don't put Semien at SS he is a way better fielder.

What a crazy season. If Sox didn’t have bad luck, they would have no luck. Yet, they keep on winning. I wonder what it takes to rent Bryant for the rest of the season…

Yep, playing out of their mind. Too bad they didn’t have enough money to keep Yu or Castellanos the year before. That would address two of their gapping holes. Let’s see if that full attendance and TV station allow them to pony up for Bryant, Javy and Rizzo

I don’t want Javy back at the type of money he wants. He has regressed at the plate to some of his old ways. More Open stance, high leg kick, huge upper cut swing, lots of noise. I’ll take the compensatory pick, resign Rizzo and also Bryant if he is willing to do a relatively reasonable deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry Jack
I would not want Baez in his 30s. He's an elite defender, and thus a guy producing 100 wRC (he's at 99 today) offers a lot of value. But his K rate is trending in the wrong direction, his Z contact rate is trending down (he is not really swinging more, just missing more pitches in the zone), and he's not feasting on fastballs like he did a few years ago (unless they are Cardinal fastballs--knee high over the middle of the plate, which Javy loves).

If Baez starts to age a bit, and loses some range, you are probably looking at a league average defender at SS who has some power, but is an out machine (sub .300 OBP) who strikes out a ton. You don't want that at $30M.

I would not want Baez in his 30s. He's an elite defender, and thus a guy producing 100 wRC (he's at 99 today) offers a lot of value. But his K rate is trending in the wrong direction, his Z contact rate is trending down (he is not really swinging more, just missing more pitches in the zone), and he's not feasting on fastballs like he did a few years ago (unless they are Cardinal fastballs--knee high over the middle of the plate, which Javy loves).

If Baez starts to age a bit, and loses some range, you are probably looking at a league average defender at SS who has some power, but is an out machine (sub .300 OBP) who strikes out a ton. You don't want that at $30M.
Most of what you say about Javy is true and even his fielding is suffering. Add Rizzo's minus fielding this year, so the obvious guys that need to be extended are Bryant and Contreras.

My Cards have become unwatchable
They are on a tailspin right now. My Reds are playing better, but they still have a bullpen that could surrender any sized lead.

Except now the gd Cubs keep winning. That can't be sustainable all summer, right??

They are on a tailspin right now. My Reds are playing better, but they still have a bullpen that could surrender any sized lead.

Except now the gd Cubs keep winning. That can't be sustainable all summer, right??
I think you will see teams go through spurts and come crashing back. The Cubs have a pretty good lineup, and that bullpen has been surreal. But I think they will have issues along the way. If the Brewers can get Yelich going, they could be tough. But they are also a young pitcher injury away from sustained mediocrity.

As for the Birds, they have some enticing minor league talent that they could trade, but it would be a mistake. They need to play for 2022 and beyond. I'd love to see them sign Scherzer (local kid, went to Mizzou) and build a rotation around him and Flaherty.

I think you will see teams go through spurts and come crashing back. The Cubs have a pretty good lineup, and that bullpen has been surreal. But I think they will have issues along the way. If the Brewers can get Yelich going, they could be tough. But they are also a young pitcher injury away from sustained mediocrity.

As for the Birds, they have some enticing minor league talent that they could trade, but it would be a mistake. They need to play for 2022 and beyond. I'd love to see them sign Scherzer (local kid, went to Mizzou) and build a rotation around him and Flaherty.
Scherzer is hardly a kid. 37 years old, if he leaves it is to a team ready to win now.

You could say that about any pitcher who is 37 years young.

But, consider:
- Arguably most durable starter in the game today
- 12.1 K/9 in 2021
- 1.75 BB/9 in 2021
- 3.06 FIP in 2021
- 2.1 fWAR in 13 starts in 2021

He is STILL DEALING. Great, great pitcher.
Love Mad Max, I am just not busting out an above market contract unless I see a strong probability of winning the first year of the contract. Cards throw out Flaherty and a bunch of mediocre guys after him. They need more. Carlos Martinez, oh my.

But but but they got fans! Willy is like a Nebby football fan that brags about the consecutive sell out streak.

It's truly remarkable that a Northwestern fan shit talks attendance. Ryan Field is 60% red for OSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc. The lake of awareness is astonishing

Reactions: IGNORE2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT