ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

Any GM would trade Schwarber for Eloy today, right now,

From purely a talent perspective, I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it sound to be. Jimenez has the clear edge in my view because he is younger, cost controlled and locked up long term with a contract. Schwarber is not and will be a free agent soon. If you look at talent alone and set aside those other factors, I don't think you'd have the clear cut consensus that you suggest. In fact, my guess is that the majority would prefer Schwarber based on talent, LH bat and ability to play the field.

Come on, which of those things is not true. Why would a GM trade good outfielder, with a strong arm and lots of power for a middling DH? Try none!
This is completely ridiculous. I believe there is not a single GM including your boy Theo that would trade Eloy Today for Babe.
I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it sound to be. Jimenez has the clear edge in my view because he is younger, cost controlled and locked up long term with a contract. Schwarber is not and will be a free agent soon. If you look at talent alone and set aside those other factors, I don't think you'd have the clear cut consensus that you suggest.
sorry, but those factors of cost, age and potential factor into each and every deal. Kyle is a 235 lifetime hitter. He is in his peak year of age 27 right now. Eloy is younger, and his stats are WAY better than Kyles at the same age. So what isn’t clear cut? Younger, lower salary, better at a similar age. I also believe he will end his career with better offensive stats in EVERY category than Kyle. So younger, more years remaining in his career and better comparable stats at a similar age, No brainer. I will stand by my statement that no GM would not trade Eloy straight up for Kyle in 2020.

This is completely ridiculous. I believe there is not a single GM including your boy Theo that would trade Eloy Today for Babe.

sorry, but those factors of cost, age and potential factor into each and every deal. Kyle is a 235 lifetime hitter. He is in his peak year of age 27 right now. Eloy is younger, and his stats are WAY better than Kyles at the same age. So what isn’t clear cut? Younger, lower salary, better at a similar age. I also believe he will end his career with better offensive stats in EVERY category than Kyle. So younger, more years remaining in his career and better comparable stats at a similar age, No brainer. I will stand by my statement that no GM would not trade Eloy straight up for Kyle in 2020.

I acknowledged he was clearly more valuable because of those factors. On talent alone, I don't agree. It's not as clear cut as you want to make it sound to be.

If this becomes permanent, baseball is officially over.
This will 100% be worked into the next CBA. The union will be all about it because it extends the careers of position players.

Gerrit Cole's wife is on board
532b1bbcc1c744e98b7efea3415c84f4_md.png

They won’t be the last and I really don’t blame them.

Meh. Zimmerman has made his money and is on a puny contract. Part time status, won a title, income banked, no fan or teammate backlash, no real reason to come back.
Ross on a tiny contract too, with no real role on team.

Doubt Javy or Eloy will voluntarily decline.

Meh. Zimmerman has made his money and is on a puny contract. Part time status, won a title, income banked, no fan or teammate backlash, no real reason to come back.
Ross on a tiny contract too, with no real role on team.

Doubt Javy or Eloy will voluntarily decline.
Maybe Bryant, now with a new baby.

Must be why Theo traded him along with Cease for Quintana. Who is the Cubs DH this year? Victor Carantini.

Honestly, I don’t regret trading Jimenez. They were going for it and had to give up a high end prospect to get Quintana. Jimenez really appears to be best suited as a DH only and that reduces his value. The mistake in that trade was giving up too much by also including Cease, if there is one prospect I wish we could have back, it’s Gleyber Torres.

Honestly, I don’t regret trading Jimenez. They were going for it and had to give up a high end prospect to get Quintana. Jimenez really appears to be best suited as a DH only and that reduces his value. The mistake in that trade was giving up too much by also including Cease, if there is one prospect I wish we could have back, it’s Gleyber Torres.

Would be great to have Torres long term, but I don’t think 2016 happens without Chapman.

Ok, Corb, I know you are a Cubs fan, but Theo caved in on the deal and threw in two top prospects when he could have got Q for one and a low tier. Honestly, if I am Hahn I wouldn’t trade Cease straight up for Q today. Eloy will hit 40 a year and would be starting with the Cubs right now. How can you honesty not want him in the middle of your line up as Rizzo ages and KB leaves town? A throw in essentially that has potential to be top 5 in the AL in HR’s. Q has been a mid tier starter who Hahn sold as a stud that was snake bit by the poor White Sox team. A horrendous trade and nearly every Cubbie fan I know laments it . All this talk about Eloy’s poor fielding by you and Willy doesn’t put perfume on this pig. I understood the need for Chapman rental with no closer, but Q didn’t make the Cubs the WS champion. Despite Joe trying his best to give away the WS, they don’t win without Chapman,

Ok, Corb, I know you are a Cubs fan, but Theo caved in on the deal and threw in two top prospects when he could have got Q for one and a low tier. Honestly, if I am Hahn I wouldn’t trade Cease straight up for Q today. Eloy will hit 40 a year and would be starting with the Cubs right now. How can you honesty not want him in the middle of your line up as Rizzo ages and KB leaves town? A throw in essentially that has potential to be top 5 in the AL in HR’s. Q has been a mid tier starter who Hahn sold as a stud that was snake bit by the poor White Sox team. A horrendous trade and nearly every Cubbie fan I know laments it . All this talk about Eloy’s poor fielding by you and Willy doesn’t put perfume on this pig. I understood the need for Chapman rental with no closer, but Q didn’t make the Cubs the WS champion. Despite Joe trying his best to give away the WS, they don’t win without Chapman,
Hey, let us all know when the W.Sox win something. Anything! Happy holiday! Oh and there is no place for Jiminez in the Cubs line-up, unless the NL permanently adopts the DH.

Hey, let us all know when the W.Sox win something. Anything! Happy holiday! Oh and there is no place for Jiminez in the Cubs line-up, unless the NL permanently adopts the DH.
Put the pipe away Willy. Babe, Almora, and Jay Hey is not exactly a championship OF That can’t be cracked. Enjoy this short season because it will be the last one you have bragging rights for in a long time.

Where did I say I didn’t want him? Never said that. I said they had to give up a top prospect to get Quintana and I think Theo made the right choice in trading Jimenez because it turns out that he really is a DH only and that greatly diminishes his value. I also said that the mistake Theo made in that trade was giving up too much by also including Cease. It sounds like we agree on that point.

Still which team has last won the World Series? Also Jimenez would not play over Schwarber in LF. You really don't realize how bad a fielder he is?

yes he would. His ceiling as a hitter is WAY higher than Schwarbers

And as bad of a fielder as eloy is, Schwarber was just as bad two years ago. He’s now adequate, eloy can get there too with reps.

And as bad of a fielder as eloy is, Schwarber was just as bad two years ago. He’s now adequate, eloy can get there too with reps.

Completely different physical trajectories makes a difference. Schwarber dropped 20 pounds to get more mobile and put less pressure on his repaired knee while Eloy should naturally put on additional bulk/size over time since he’s just a puppy. Hard to see Jimenez getting more mobile or fluid as that happens.

You must not watch when Jimenez trys to play defense.

I just don't see baseball or any sports being played in 2020. We talked ourselves into believing there was a way, but increasingly I think people are realizing there is not a safe way to pull it off.

Reactions: Fitz51
He does. I hope others listen to him speaking for himself and see whether they feel similarly about their own situations.
The more distressing is the way MLB has failed on its commitments. The players aren’t safe.

Reactions: willycat
I just don't see baseball or any sports being played in 2020. We talked ourselves into believing there was a way, but increasingly I think people are realizing there is not a safe way to pull it off.

I suggest Kris doesn’t play then. If enough players refuse to play, then the season will go up in flames. Markakis is going to move the needle. Barring player revolt, this season is starting And the Cubbies are taking on the Brew Crew in 17 short days.

I suggest Kris doesn’t play then. If enough players refuse to play, then the season will go up in flames. Markakis is going to move the needle. Barring player revolt, this season is starting And the Cubbies are taking on the Brew Crew in 17 short days.
I really think that more will opt out, after seeing others get infected. Also the Cubs postponed today's practice sessions at Wrigley and South Bend because of failing to get timely results of tests from Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT