ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NU #15

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
The annual Wall Street Journal/Times college survey is out and NU came in 15th, tied with U$C. NU was 5th overall in the category "Resources', which includes "academic spending, student/teacher ration, research output".

Ahead of NU are Harvard, Columbia, MIT, Stanford, Duke, Yale, Cal Tech, Penn, Princeton, Cornell, Brown, Chicago, Wash U, and Rice. Vandy is #21, ND #24, Wake #52.

The University of Louisville is #406.....

http://graphics.wsj.com/image-grid/college-rankings-2018/

As an undergrad alumnus of a small state school where we were thrilled to have raised $69 million in a recent fund drive (exceeding the goal by $20 million), I can say that there are a lot of schools out there that would gladly settle for a tenth of what NU has.

As an undergrad alumnus of a small state school where we were thrilled to have raised $69 million in a recent fund drive (exceeding the goal by $20 million), I can say that there are a lot of schools out there that would gladly settle for a tenth of what NU has.
But that is a state school with state coffers. NU is private. Big difference. Endowments and donations are a much bigger part of the financial equation than for a state, taxpayer funded school.

But that is a state school with state coffers. NU is private. Big difference. Endowments and donations are a much bigger part of the financial equation than for a state, taxpayer funded school.

Problem with that line of thinking is that many state schools, certainly in my state, are much less taxpayer-funded than they used to be. Less than 25 percent of funding in the Pennsylvania state higher education system (which does not include Penn State) actually comes from the state. When the system was started in 1983, the level of funding was more than 60 percent. In effect, the state schools are becoming more and more like private schools without the advantage of big endowments that some private schools have squirreled away over the years. So most state schools are joining the mad scramble for money and students (HS graduation rates have been dropping in Pa.) as time marches on. Also, it's surprising the amount of so-called "state" money that gets directed to private schools, at least out here. On another note, I believe most private schools, as well as public schools, would like to have NU's resources. It is a testament to having generous (and well-off) alums over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT