ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Olympic Rugby

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
350,000 spectators watched the 5 sessions of Rugby 7's. France a 15's power but never a threat in 7's surprised Fiji in the final sparked by Antoine DuPont, arguably the best 15's player in the world.
The USA was in the same pool with both finalists. The USA has been a power in 7's for the last 10 years , thanks to 2 spectacular players, Perry Baker and Carlin Isles. Isles chose not to compete in the Olympics because of a new job. He was described by British pundit, Nigel Starmer-Smith, as the fastest rugby player to have ever played the game

I prefer 15's but to a novice 7's may be more attractive.

If you would like to compare the 2 disciplines, I would suggest watching the second test between # 1 S. Africa and #2 Ireland completed 2 weeks ago. The brutal physicality of 15's was demonstrated . There was enough blood to offend the squeamish and 2 S. Africans suffered fractured tibias-one taped up his leg and finished the game. Both teams shook hands, embracing each other after a spectacular finish to the game

How can we watch South Africa/Ireland, @docrugby1?

Saturday was my first rugby-watching experience. Cool to see the home side win the Gold.

I found 7s a little unsatisfying. Seven-minute halves makes it telegenic, and (relatively) easy to play two rounds in the same day, but also leaves little room for flow.

France’s big run down the left sideline to open the second half was incredibly cool.

They’re remarkable athletes. Every athlete out there built like a linebacker or a fullback or a tight end.

Peacock makes it pretty easy to quickly become a sicko about anything.

Saturday was my first rugby-watching experience. Cool to see the home side win the Gold.

I found 7s a little unsatisfying. Seven-minute halves makes it telegenic, and (relatively) easy to play two rounds in the same day, but also leaves little room for flow.

France’s big run down the left sideline to open the second half was incredibly cool.

They’re remarkable athletes. Every athlete out there built like a linebacker or a fullback or a tight end.

Thanks for sharing this Doc.

I'm a big fan of the 7's form, most likely from having spent so much time in Hong Kong. Will never forget my first taste of it - during the HK Sevens right after the French had chosen to conduct underwater nuclear detonations in the South Pacific. 7's tends to be more established in Polynesia/the pacific, so with many fans from Fiji, Samoa, New Zealand, Aus. and others, the French were roundly booed for the duration of the tournament. The tradition continues to this day, though more good natured (it helps that they stopped testing).

France's 7's team has shown some uncharacteristic flashes leading up the the olympics, and Fiji have slipped a bit versus their normal 7's standard.

Reactions: rmndcat

Flosports ($5.99/month) will have a replay of the match. This streaming APP has tremendous rugby coverage including professional teams from:

URC-Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Italy and S. Africa
Top 14-French Teams
Guinness Premiereship-England
Super Rugby-Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands

The Fall and Summer internationals involving the Northern and Southern hemisphere teams

The Six Nations (England,Ireland, France,Scotland, Italy, Wales) is on NBC family of channels-Peacock, CNBC and NBC

15's is a much more physical game over 80 minutes. There will be between 400-500 tackles/ game. Ireland and France emphasize an attacking style. England and S. Africa play a kicking game , Nee \

Reactions: NUCat320
If you search YouTube TV, you may find a replay of the S. Africa v Ireland tests- both are interesting but the second is brutally physical.

Reactions: Hkjb
I haven't watched much 15s, and they are clearly different games, but I love 7s. Several years ago, we went to a tournament in Vegas. It was a blast. Exciting games and amazing fans, who are a big part of the experience.

I have wondered if a few of our former football players would have made good Rugby 7s prospects, especially Kain Colter based on his ball handling, speed, and elusiveness, maybe Venric Mark, and some of the superbacks, especially Dan Vitale, who could be useful on defense as well as offense.

Reactions: IGNORE2
The International 7’s Tour does stop in Vegas. The Pacific Island and African nations’ fans are as entertaining as the games.

A replay of S.Africa v Ireland can be found by googling "S.Africa v Ireland 2024". I found it on YouTube but with lots of ads

I haven't watched much 15s, and they are clearly different games, but I love 7s. Several years ago, we went to a tournament in Vegas. It was a blast. Exciting games and amazing fans, who are a big part of the experience.

I have wondered if a few of our former football players would have made good Rugby 7s prospects, especially Kain Colter based on his ball handling, speed, and elusiveness, maybe Venric Mark, and some of the superbacks, especially Dan Vitale, who could be useful on defense as well as offense.
I played in that tourney twice.

Also recruited former NUFB to rugby while I was back on campus. He didn’t try to learn the rules, had played special teams and made for an amazing after punt tackle…and his ejection

I played in that tourney twice.

Also recruited former NUFB to rugby while I was back on campus. He didn’t try to learn the rules, had played special teams and made for an amazing after punt tackle…and his ejection

Ha! Reminds me of a similar experience, albeit on a very different level.

I (pretty poorly) played D3 football. After our senior season a handful of us were looking for an outlet and found the club rugby team. Had no idea what we were doing, but we were all pretty large people. We were relegated B Side (basically JV) as we learned what was going on. In our first game, my buddy the 6-4 300-pound guard straight-up lead blocked a defender without the ball. The very patient referee put his arm around him and basically said “I should technically kick you out of the game right now, but I understand that you’re still figuring this thing out so… please don’t do that again.”

Turns out the only year me and my buddies played was when our team played up a level. We were pretty bad on the win/loss record, but undefeated at the drink up.

Reactions: Bwm57
350,000 spectators watched the 5 sessions of Rugby 7's. France a 15's power but never a threat in 7's surprised Fiji in the final sparked by Antoine DuPont, arguably the best 15's player in the world.
The USA was in the same pool with both finalists. The USA has been a power in 7's for the last 10 years , thanks to 2 spectacular players, Perry Baker and Carlin Isles. Isles chose not to compete in the Olympics because of a new job. He was described by British pundit, Nigel Starmer-Smith, as the fastest rugby player to have ever played the game

I prefer 15's but to a novice 7's may be more attractive.

If you would like to compare the 2 disciplines, I would suggest watching the second test between # 1 S. Africa and #2 Ireland completed 2 weeks ago. The brutal physicality of 15's was demonstrated . There was enough blood to offend the squeamish and 2 S. Africans suffered fractured tibias-one taped up his leg and finished the game. Both teams shook hands, embracing each other after a spectacular finish to the game
The 7s are made for TV and should help the sport immensely as a fan attraction.

I just discovered this freak of nature known as Ilona Maher. She is unreal. Biggest, strongest player on the pitch, yet great feet and one of the fastest. Just a physical freak. Jevon Kearse level relative to her sport.

The 7s are made for TV and should help the sport immensely as a fan attraction.

I just discovered this freak of nature known as Ilona Maher. She is unreal. Biggest, strongest player on the pitch, yet great feet and one of the fastest. Just a physical freak. Jevon Kearse level relative to her sport.
Yes - 7's is the gateway drug of rugby in my view.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
The lady from Alaska did OK as well. Nice seeing a 30-years plus player helping the women's Rugby team medal.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Ha! Reminds me of a similar experience, albeit on a very different level.

I (pretty poorly) played D3 football. After our senior season a handful of us were looking for an outlet and found the club rugby team. Had no idea what we were doing, but we were all pretty large people. We were relegated B Side (basically JV) as we learned what was going on. In our first game, my buddy the 6-4 300-pound guard straight-up lead blocked a defender without the ball. The very patient referee put his arm around him and basically said “I should technically kick you out of the game right now, but I understand that you’re still figuring this thing out so… please don’t do that again.”

Turns out the only year me and my buddies played was when our team played up a level. We were pretty bad on the win/loss record, but undefeated at the drink up.
My fraternity brother and teammate (briefly) Eric Letsinger obliterated our player coach John Phlepps with an open field block during a practice. I could not stop laughing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT