ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penn State - Temple

Ubermorgen

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2013
Under 5 minutes left in the game and Penn State down 17 and Hackenberg's been sacked 8 times! Wow!

Penn State's OL is awful but Christian Hackenburg has to be the most overrated QB in a long time. He is just not good. Very inaccurate and not mobile. I chuckled when I saw him projected as a first round QB next year. Hopefully my Bears don't make the mistake of drafting him.

Reactions: Ubermorgen
Penn State's OL is awful but Christian Hackenburg has to be the most overrated QB in a long time. He is just not good. Very inaccurate and not mobile. I chuckled when I saw him projected as a first round QB next year. Hopefully my Bears don't make the mistake of drafting him.

Christian Hackenberg is doing a good job showing what a "flappable" QB looks like.

I was thinking the same thing - he looks a lot like cutler from 2 or 3 years ago when he was getting sacked every other play. I think Franklin at least doesn't have to worry about him coming out early this year for the draft.

Corbi, I couldn't possibly have said this better myself. What people see in this guy, I'll never know. This Bears' season will be best characterized as The Drive For The Draft Pick, and drafting Hackenberg would only compound the misery. I'm no expert (and you yourself have already forgotten more about football than I'll ever know), but I've seen this guy play about half a dozen times, and he doesn't even strike me as a fourth-round talent -- let alone a first-rounder.

For PSU it could be one of those losses that sets the trend for the season. Win or lose if they struggle the next couple of games, it could send them crashing before they even get into league play.

For PSU it could be one of those losses that sets the trend for the season. Win or lose if they struggle the next couple of games, it could send them crashing before they even get into league play.
Got no problem with that.

In a word, I find this Penn State loss DELICIOUS. How could a coaching genius like James Franklin lose this game? How could a great QB like Hackenberg play so poorly? Happy Valley wants to know!!!

In a word, I find this Penn State loss DELICIOUS. How could a coaching genius like James Franklin lose this game? How could a great QB like Hackenberg play so poorly? Happy Valley wants to know!!!
I did not see the game but have been reading about it.

Penn State went up 10-0 in the first quarter and then never scored again.

At one point Temple rushed two and sacked Hackenberg.

Temple is not a bad team but this is a disaster for Franklin.

Since when does a QB have to be mobile to be good?

Hack is a pro-style passing QB and that merits at least avg. protection and some weapons to throw to (some of those sacks were coverage sacks, but for many, Hack had about 2 seconds before a defender was upon him).

Not saying that he didn't make some poor throws or missed receivers when they were open, but that's what QBs tend to do when repeatedly under pressure (see Hogan today and Hogan was facing nearly the pressure that Hack was facing).

Can't see Hack wanting to stay for another year of punishment even if he has another mediocre season stat-wise.

Hack might just opt for the NFL if he gets the indication that he'll be a middle-round pick (heck, can see his former college coach picking him up in the 3rd rnd).

Also, this Temple team is a veteran one and playing w/ a chip on their shoulder (better than the UNH team that beat the 'Cats a no. of yrs ago).

Since when does a QB have to mobile to be good? Oh I don't know, maybe the last 10-15 years. Welcome to the modern era of football.

By the way, he does have good weapons to throw to and 2-3 seconds is all a QB can really ask for in terms of time to throw. Not all QBs need to be able to run for 100 yards to be considered good but all QBs in modern day football are expected to be mobile enough to sidestep rushers within the pocket to buy a little more time to throw. If you are a statue in the pocket moving around around like your feet are encased in cement and unable to quickly read coverages, then some of those sacks are on you. Even when he gets the ball off, his throws are wildly inaccurate. Hackenburg's reputation is more of a testament to what a good coach Bill O'Brien was than anything else.

Hackenburg's reputation is more of a testament to what a good coach Bill O'Brien was than anything else.

And because he was a five-star recruit that stuck with PSU during the scandal.

ADVERTISEMENT