ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ready to be Done With Google Chrome

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
I have generally liked Google Chrome as a browser, but the more I learn how they pimp out your personal data, the less I like them.

Mozilla Foundation is now a client, so I am starting to use Firefox again after a long hiatus. I love their privacy controls, though I am not sure about speed.

I am trying out MS Edge's new release now. Seems decent, though I have never been a fan of MS browsers.

What is the best browser, in your opinion?

I have generally liked Google Chrome as a browser, but the more I learn how they pimp out your personal data, the less I like them.

Mozilla Foundation is now a client, so I am starting to use Firefox again after a long hiatus. I love their privacy controls, though I am not sure about speed.

I am trying out MS Edge's new release now. Seems decent, though I have never been a fan of MS browsers.

I'm a Firefox devotee. Sometimes some of the security protocols get in the way, but it's good if you take the time to personalize it for your own experience.

Firefox is probably the best if you want a mainstream browser and good privacy protection. There is apparently also a browser called Brave that is built off of the Chrome engine like Edge, and does not collect any activity from you, https://brave.com/download/.

Also, DuckDuckGo is the search engine you should use for privacy.

Firefox is probably the best if you want a mainstream browser and good privacy protection. There is apparently also a browser called Brave that is built off of the Chrome engine like Edge, and does not collect any activity from you, https://brave.com/download/.

Also, DuckDuckGo is the search engine you should use for privacy.

i use Brave and like it.

The new version of Microsoft Edge seems to be pretty good and a definite improvement over the previous one. I currently am using an old PC with limited memory and processor speed, and the new Edge works quite a bit faster than the last one despite the computer limitations.. I try to avoid Chrome as much as possible, because I don't like Google spying on me and knowing everything I look at.

So I am staying on Mackinac Island for a few days with really crappy Wifi at Mission Point. Chrome is utter dogmeat. It won't load a new page, even WR! Edge zips right to it.

Time to defund Chrome!

What, couldn't take the wallpaper and musty smell at the Grand Hotel?

I'm still a fan of Chrome, and the search results seem a little better (more relevant) than for Edge/Bing.

What, couldn't take the wallpaper and musty smell at the Grand Hotel?

I'm still a fan of Chrome, and the search results seem a little better (more relevant) than for Edge/Bing.
Mission Point no better. Midwest Living did this big write up on how they spent $10 million to spruce it up. The rooms have fresh paint, new carpet and furniture, but the pool area is a dump and grounds look shoddy.

There’s nothing close to even a four star here on the island so you just deal with it. I guess the building codes /landmark rules don’t allow new construction and though very scenic, northern Michigan is not exactly St. Tropes.

and Google is great for search.

Mission Point no better. Midwest Living did this big write up on how they spent $10 million to spruce it up. The rooms have fresh paint, new carpet and furniture, but the pool area is a dump and grounds look shoddy.

There’s nothing close to even a four star here on the island so you just deal with it. I guess the building codes /landmark rules don’t allow new construction and though very scenic, northern Michigan is not exactly St. Tropes.

and Google is great for search.
Staying in St Ignace than riding the boat in is the way to go if you wanna spend time on the island.

I’m about to go to the UP myself for two weeks at my grandparents cabin but that is a bit more north and a lot more west.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Been trying to not use Chrome, so started using Firefox on Android (like have been for Windows), but FF constantly crashes.

Any suggestions for an alternative browser for Android (don't think Brave is available for Android)?

Thanks.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Problem with Chrome is the constant and instantaneous feedback loop on anything you read. So if you search something like feeding pigs in Romania the next day you get an article on it on their news site. Within days you get three articles daily. Also the politics on their news site definitely leans left unless you edit, which defeats the purpose of "fair and balanced". Rarely does anything new surprise you on the news site like Romanian rocket design. Plus virtually no international news. All a formula to make you progressively more stupid and more narrowly focused.

And what's with finding international articles? I know I am not sharp with this stuff, but finding sources outside the US is difficult to impossible. Use to be your searches would pull up articles from all over.

Not a fan of Chrome.

Last edited:
Been trying to not use Chrome, so started using Firefox on Android (like have been for Windows), but FF constantly crashes.

Any suggestions for an alternative browser for Android (don't think Brave is available for Android)?

Thanks.
Have you looked at Opera? I am not an Android user, but I liked Opera on Windows.

Reactions: Katatonic
Problem with Chrome is the constant and instantaneous feedback loop on anything you read. So if you search something like feeding pigs in Romania the next day you get an article on it on their news site. Within days you get three articles daily. Also the politics on their newssite definitely leans left unless you edit, which defeats the purpose of "faikr and balanced". Rarely does anything new surprise you on the news site like Romanian rocket design. Plus virtually no international news. All a formula to make you progressively stupider and more narrow focused.

And what's with finding international articles? I know I am not sharp with this stuff, but finding sources outside the US is difficult to impossible. Use to be your searches would pull up articles from all over.

Not a fan of Chrome.
the Google News feed is like drinking beer through a straw. You just don't get much of a feel for anything except the straw.

ADVERTISEMENT