ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Remembering the Great Alaska Earthquake

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Saturday will be an anniversary of the March 27, 1964 Great Alaska Earthquake, which at 9.2 magnitude [thankfully] remains the largest recorded in North America. Its 4 and one half minutes of shaking made it one of the longest duration as well. Only one other earthquake in recorded history on our planet was larger, the 9.5 earthquake in Chile in 1960.

The anniversary was brought to mind this morning when I awoke to a fresh coating of snow here in Anchorage. Similarly we had a late March snowfall concurrent with the 1964 earthquake.

Hereare some photos from then including ones I took.

utf-8DSCN0604_zps4c12d234.jpg

utf-8DSCN0634_zpsf9ae5102.jpg
utf-8DSCN0645_zps14404ef2.jpg
utf-8DSCN0586_zps48307953.jpg
utf-8DSCN0657_zps5ac640b3.jpg
utf-8DSCN0661_zps40c9de74.jpg
utf-8DSCN0641_zpsc3d6575f.jpg
utf-8DSCN0637_zpsed216e72.jpg
utf-8DSCN0631_zps5d7ed6bf.jpg
utf-8DSCN0656_zps7683f69d.jpg
utf-8DSCN0594_zps0ce15128.jpg
utf-8DSCN0653_zps8b458c1a.jpg

Last edited:
This morning I took a photo on 4th Avenue with the newly falling snow. I'll try to locate for comparison one from 1964 to edit and add.

Until then, here is a view of the J.C.Penny building as it was rebuilt on the same location seen in the above photos. On Thursday evening prior to the next day's Friday earthquake I was on the pictured street placing orders for the Chicago published Polk City Directory as part of a Boy Scout/Explorer fund raising project. The slabs that fell off the J.C. Penny building in the earthquake crushed parked cars and killed one of the occupants.

An added point of trivia. The currently built 3 story J.C. Penny Building ended up reusing the elevator that was in the 4 story building as it existed at the time of the earthquake. For years it still had a 4th story elevator button that went nowhere.

Photo0065.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
OK, here is the located photo from 1964 showing the collapsed buildings along Anchorage's downtown 4th Avenue. It is followed by my photo from earlier this morning taken on the eve of the Great Alaska Earthquake's anniversary.

For reference, the tall structure in the present day color photo is the "new" tower of the Anchorage Hilton Hotel f/k/a The Westward Hotel. Just to its left one can see the top of the hotel's first and original tower. That tower is the one seen in the 1964 photo.

(Just after the shaking had stopped at the time of the earthquake, I climbed up on top of the roof of my house to see if there was any visible damage looking downtown. When I saw the hotel tower still standing I erroneously assumed that it must not have been that big of a deal after all.

In the days following I helped out as an Explorer Scout to deliver Ham Radio messages that were being received by Alaska's Civil Defense Center and at that time saw (and was able to photograph as seen in my original post) some of the devastation as we were allowed into areas that the National Guard had blocked off from the public. )

utf-8DSCN0623_zpsb5ff8523.jpg
IMG_6626.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Alaska. Great stuff, particularly with the addition of your own photos. I was a junior at NU at the time, and had no idea that such a catastrophic event had occurred.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
All I can remember was, in ‘64, getting news stories and pictures from Alaska was like getting them from Mars today. Maybe worse. There wasn’t a FEMA or the like to help expedite aid plus I doubt Federal money came rolling in. I suspect the citizens in Anchorage felt abandoned, lonely and cold. And that was before the earthquake. Just kidding.

Thanks Alaska. Great stuff, particularly with the addition of your own photos. I was a junior at NU at the time, and had no idea that such a catastrophic event had occurred.

I was 7 years old at that time and I remember it very well. It received major news coverage. I recall pictures of torn up yards and tilted houses in a subdivision much like the one shown above.

OK, here is the located photo from 1964 showing the collapsed buildings along Anchorage's downtown 4th Avenue. It is followed by my photo from earlier this morning taken on the eve of the Great Alaska Earthquake's anniversary.

For reference, the tall structure in the present day color photo is the "new" tower of the Anchorage Hilton Hotel f/k/a The Westward Hotel. Just to its left one can see the top of the hotel's first and original tower. That tower is the one seen in the 1964 photo.

(Just after the shaking had stopped at the time of the earthquake, I climbed up on top of the roof of my house to see if there was any visible damage looking downtown. When I saw the hotel tower still standing I erroneously assumed that it must not have been that big of a deal after all.

In the days following I helped out as an Explorer Scout to deliver Ham Radio messages that were being received by Alaska's Civil Defense Center and at that time saw (and was able to photograph as seen in my original post) some of the devastation as we were allowed into areas that the National Guard had blocked off from the public. )

IMG_6626.jpg

Alaska, how did your family end up in Alaska? My memory of that time is that Anchorage had 30,000 people or so, and the state about 200,000. Living there seemed really exotic to we native midwesterners!

Alaska, how did your family end up in Alaska? My memory of that time is that Anchorage had 30,000 people or so, and the state about 200,000. Living there seemed really exotic to we native midwesterners!

Two of my Uncles first came to Alaska just before World War II. They worked for the AJ Mine in Juneau. When the war broke out the oldest became part of the newly forming Army National Guard in Alaska which he ended up heading as his leadership skills as a mine foreman proved transferable. Eventually he became the Commanding Officer of the 297th Infantry Battalian in Alaska where he led an expedition doing cold weather testing of Army equipment which entailed an eight week mid winter 140 mile march from Anchorage to Mt. McKinley - which reportedly remains the longest military march in winter conditions in Alaska even to this date. In recent years I came across a history that recounted, "As CO of the expedition he worked the hardest and suffered the most. He traveled alone with his pack. Prior to the war he had been a mining engineer and foreman in a gold mine at Juneau. He was an expert woodsman as well as a dabbler in wrestling. He was older than any of us at age 39. He built snow caves to sleep in at night and was one of our casualties. I don't recall him being issued shades to combat snow blindness." As the war continued he served as a Lieutenant Colonel in Europe and after the war ended he headed the Occupation efforts in Hokkaido, Japan. (A momento I inherited was the Ainu bead necklace he was given as a gift of gratitude by the Japanese for his kindness to them.)

Before the war my grandparents actually took a Steamship "cruise" to Alaska to visit them. During and shortly after the war years two of my aunts came to Alaska as well with one of them working for the army in a civilian position and the other for the Alaska Railroad's then credit union. Both met their husbands here.

In 1953 when I was a five year old child one of the aunts and one of the uncles still lived in Alaska with their families. My parents came for a visit via driving the Alcan (Alaska-Canadian) Highway in their newly acquired Nash Ambassador. I remember certain of the events including not being able to get out of the car when we reached Whitehorse, British Columbia, because they were experiencing a polio outbreak. I also remember my finger puppets getting ditched along the highway somewhere when my siblings and I were not acting as model children enroute. Oh, then there was the liquid balloon gunk that resulted from a deflated balloon that one of us left on the back window shelf of the car .... (Is that product still existent? It came in a small metal toothpaste like tube with a straw which was used to inflate a glob of the stuff.)

To make a long story short that intended three week visit turned into three years, then thirty years and more.

Just to elaborate on my Grandparents' Steamship "Cruise" to Alaska I came across this "Cruise" brochure in the attic of what had been their Nevada ranch house on a visit years later to "The Ranch" that my father and another uncle had owned at the time we drove to Alaska.

IMG_5470_zpspqszm7fw.jpg

IMG_5474_zpsjdhd2rn0.jpg
IMG_5473_zpsou7pfagn.jpg

The above referenced Ainu bead necklace:

IMG_1651.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_1651.jpg

Here is a photo demonstrating how the Ainu people would wear the bead necklace.

IMG_1691.jpg

This from all knowing Wikipedia:

A tamasay (or tamasai) is a bead necklace worn by Ainu women for special occasions.

The necklace is called a shitoki if it has a medallion. They are made with large glass beads the Ainu obtained through trading with Chinese merchants. The Ainu also obtained glass beads secretly made by the Matsumae Clan.[1] The shitoki medallion often represents the white-tailed sea eagles that the Ainu hunt. The more strands and beads a necklace has, the more valuable it is. The necklaces are passed down through generations and are highly treasured by their owners. This jewelry is especially important in ceremonies and rituals because it is believed to protect the wearer from evil spirits.

Last edited:
Here is one more Alaska Earthquake photo along with some anecdotal commentary.

If I recall correctly this house was owned by an Olympic medal skier and he was in Scandinavia at the time of the earthquake. I remember him having told my Dad on his return that he had seen his house in the news clips while he was abroad. He added that the do gooders who emptied his house of all his room full of trophies did more damage to them tossing them out of the house than had been done to them by the earthquake.

Another takeaway that I recall is it was oft repeated that a lot of Atheists prayed that day.

utf-8DSCN0640_zpsb35c4e0d.jpg

Reactions: 76-1 and StreamCat
Wow! Fascinating, really fascinating. I remember when we visited Alaska, everyone we met had a great story, each one an adventure.

Two of my Uncles first came to Alaska just before World War II. They worked for the AJ Mine in Juneau. When the war broke out the oldest became part of the newly forming Army National Guard in Alaska which he ended up heading as his leadership skills as a mine foreman proved transferable. Eventually he became the Commanding Officer of the 297th Infantry Battalian in Alaska where he led an expedition doing cold weather testing of Army equipment which entailed an eight week mid winter 140 mile march from Anchorage to Mt. McKinley - which reportedly remains the longest military march in winter conditions in Alaska even to this date. In recent years I came across a history that recounted, "As CO of the expedition he worked the hardest and suffered the most. He traveled alone with his pack. Prior to the war he had been a mining engineer and foreman in a gold mine at Juneau. He was an expert woodsman as well as a dabbler in wrestling. He was older than any of us at age 39. He built snow caves to sleep in at night and was one of our casualties. I don't recall him being issued shades to combat snow blindness." As the war continued he served as a Lieutenant Colonel in Europe and after the war ended he headed the Occupation efforts in Hokkaido, Japan. (A momento I inherited was the Ainu bead necklace he was given as a gift of gratitude by the Japanese for his kindness to them.)

Before the war my grandparents actually took a Steamship "cruise" to Alaska to visit them. During and shortly after the war years two of my aunts came to Alaska as well with one of them working for the army in a civilian position and the other for the Alaska Railroad's then credit union. Both met their husbands here.

In 1953 when I was a five year old child one of the aunts and one of the uncles still lived in Alaska with their families. My parents came for a visit via driving the Alcan (Alaska-Canadian) Highway in their newly acquired Nash Ambassador. I remember certain of the events including not being able to get out of the car when we reached Whitehorse, British Columbia, because they were experiencing a polio outbreak. I also remember my finger puppets getting ditched along the highway somewhere when my siblings and I were not acting as model children enroute. Oh, then there was the liquid balloon gunk that resulted from a deflated balloon that one of us left on the back window shelf of the car .... (Is that product still existent? It came in a small metal toothpaste like tube with a straw which was used to inflate a glob of the stuff.)

To make a long story short that intended three week visit turned into three years, then thirty years and more.

Just to elaborate on my Grandparents' Steamship "Cruise" to Alaska I came across this "Cruise" brochure in the attic of what had been their Nevada ranch house on a visit years later to "The Ranch" that my father and another uncle had owned at the time we drove to Alaska.

IMG_5470_zpspqszm7fw.jpg

IMG_5474_zpsjdhd2rn0.jpg
IMG_5473_zpsou7pfagn.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

Thanks! That’s a great family history, and thanks for sharing. I’m sure Alaska has changed a lot during your lifetime!

Here is one more Alaska Earthquake photo along with some anecdotal commentary.

If I recall correctly this house was owned by an Olympic medal skier and he was in Scandinavia at the time of the earthquake. I remember him having told my Dad on his return that he had seen his house in the news clips while he was abroad. He added that the do gooders who emptied his house of all his room full of trophies did more damage to them tossing them out of the house than had been done to them by the earthquake.

Another takeaway that I recall is it was oft repeated that a lot of Atheists prayed that day.

As a postscript, after doing a little checking I was able to confirm that the owner of the house who was in Scandinavia where he saw his house in a news clip was Sven Johanson.

Apparently some of those trophies that I had seen when at his place before the earthquake - and which got damaged after the earthquake - included one from having won the North American Ski Championship for Cross Country in 1955 and a National Ski Title in 1957 along with his consecutive 1954-1959 first place wins from competing in the Mt. Marathon Ski Race which entailed skiing up and down a 3,022 foot mountain in Seward, Alaska. He last competed in that race the year prior to the earthquake at 39 years of age.

While some of his neighbors did not survive the 1964 Earthquake, his own life came to an early end as well as a result of being electrocuted some twelve years later when he was trying to repair a water pump on a place he had leased.

One of his notable achievements was to have been the first Alaskan to be named to the U.S. Ski Hall of Fame.

It was in 1960 that he was a member of the U.S. Olympic Cross Country Ski Team although I have been unable to confirm whether the team medaled.

Last edited:
As a postscript, after doing a little checking I was able to confirm that the owner of the house who was in Scandinavia where he saw his house in a news clip was Sven Johanson.

Apparently some of those trophies that I had seen when at his place before the earthquake - and which got damaged after the earthquake - included one from having won the North American Ski Championship for Cross Country in 1955 and a National Ski Title in 1957 along with his consecutive 1954-1959 first place wins from competing in the Mt. Marathon Ski Race which entailed skiing up and down a 3,022 foot mountain in Seward, Alaska. He last competed in that race the year prior to the earthquake at 39 years of age.

While some of his neighbors did not survive the 1964 Earthquake, his own life came to an early end as well as a result of being electrocuted some twelve years later when he was trying to repair a water pump on a place he had leased.

One of his notable achievements was to have been the first Alaskan to be named to the U.S. Ski Hall of Fame.

It was in 1960 that he was a member of the U.S. Olympic Cross Country Ski Team although I have been unable to confirm whether the team medaled.

Edited to add on this 27 March anniversary date:

The location of the pictured house was in what has been termed "The Turnagain Slilde Area." Turnagain was Anchorage's upscale neighborhood at that time but had been built upon soil that had a layer of clay underneath that liquified under the pressure of the earthquake allowing the surface structures to collapse. Many of the fatalities were in this area and one of the most harrowing was of children being sucked into the crevices which opened and then closed with the children never to be seen again.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 76-1 and drewjin

The location of the pictured house was in what has been termed "The Turnagain Slilde Area." Turnagain was Anchorage's upscale neighborhood at that time but had been built upon soil that had a layer of clay underneath that liquified under the pressure of the earthquake allowing the surface structures to collapse. Many of the fatalities were in this area and one of the most harrowing was of children being sucked into the crevices which opened and then closed with the children never to be seen again.

A terrible thought. May they rest in peace.

Thanks for posting that youtube video chronicling the Alaska Railroad journey from Anchorage to Fairbanks, Alaska. It brought back memories from my college days when I worked as a summer tour guide traveling with groups of Japanese tourists visiting Alaska. One of our tours included riding on the Alaska Railroad along that same route up to Mt. McKinley National Park.

Some specifics. to add after having watched the video:

There were no dome cars in those days and after seeing the youtube video can certainly appreciate how that maximizes the scenic experience.

Our meal car menu was much more limited. It was a choice of a French Dip Sandwich or a French Dip Sandwich.

That included vista of the Hurricane Gulch Bridge was equally impressive, and yes the train slowed to almost a stop then too as we crossed it. By the way, the Parks Highway counterpart that also gaps the 300 foot deep Hurricane Gulch is worth the stop for anyone going the road route as well.

Hopefully @villox sees your link. He still has a COVID delayed rail trip from Anchorage to now named Denali National Park to cash in on once rail service gets back to normal.

Here are a few relevant photos. First, the Alaska Railroad train rounding a curve as I captured it on a ride south toward Seward. That is followed by a photo of the Hurricane Gulch Bridge taken in the 70s. That is followed by a shot of the Alaska Railroad train as it passes by my office building.

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_0954(1).jpg

IMG_9300.jpg

And for good measure, this was yours truly on the clock as a tour guide at Mt. McKinley National Park with the mountain distant.

IMG_9281(1).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that youtube video chronicling the Alaska Railroad journey from Anchorage to Fairbanks, Alaska. It brought back memories from my college days when I worked as a summer tour guide traveling with groups of Japanese tourists visiting Alaska. One of our tours included riding on the Alaska Railroad along that same route up to Mt. McKinley National Park.

Some specifics. to add after having watched the video:

There were no dome cars in those days and after seeing the youtube video can certainly appreciate how that maximizes the scenic experience.

Our meal car menu was much more limited. It was a choice of a French Dip Sandwich or a French Dip Sandwich.

That included vista of the Hurricane Gulch Bridge was equally impressive, and yes the train slowed to almost a stop then too as we crossed it. By the way, the Parks Highway counterpart that also gaps the 300 foot deep Hurricane Gulch is worth the stop for anyone going the road route as well.

Hopefully @villox sees your link. He still has a COVID delayed rail trip from Anchorage to now named Denali National Park to cash in on once rail service gets back to normal.

Here are a few relevant photos. First, the Alaska Railroad train rounding a curve as I captured it on a ride south toward Seward. That is followed by a photo of the Hurricane Gulch Bridge taken in the 70s. That is followed by a shot of the Alaska Railroad train as it passes by my office building.

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_0954(1).jpg

IMG_9300.jpg

And for good measure, this was yours truly on the clock as a tour guide at Mt. McKinley National Park with the mountain distant.

IMG_9281(1).jpg

I thought that was Jim McKay circa ABC’s Wide World of Sports. 😜

IMG_6626.jpg

Just located these added photos, including one I had taken of Anchorage's 4th Avenue when it was the location of the Iditarod pre-start.

photo_zpskv28kvvq.jpg

photo_zpspriui2l1.jpg

And here was one of the crushed cars in front of the J.C. Penney Building:

photo_zps71082d2c.jpg

I thought that was Jim McKay circa ABC’s Wide World of Sports. 😜
CSC, that is too funny!!! That was exactly the same thought I had when I saw the picture. Think the pocket badge along with Alaskawildcat's resemblance to Jim really made for an honest double take.

OK, though it must be the pocket badge. :)

I guess it beats the earlier this year Bernie resemblance.

IMG_8185.jpg

IMG_9281_(1).jpg

IMG_7291.jpg

Reactions: drewjin

IMG_5470_zpspqszm7fw.jpg

IMG_5474_zpsjdhd2rn0.jpg
Just came across this photo from the early 1950s. I am wearing the above described "Uncle Bill's" officers cap on one of his visits during his military service. (This was the uncle who first came to Alaska where he was a foreman in Juneau's AJ Gold Mine before heading the Army National Guard when it was first formed in Alaska.)

IMG_8007.jpg

IMG_5473_zpsou7pfagn.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

Reactions: willycat
Just came across this photo from the early 1950s. I am wearing the above described "Uncle Bill's" officers cap on one of his visits during his military service. (This was the uncle who first came to Alaska where he was a foreman in Juneau's AJ Gold Mine before heading the Army National Guard when it was first formed in Alaska.)

IMG_8007.jpg
Thanks, this by far the best story on the board today!

Correction. Today I was going through some earthquake photos my father had taken and was able to confirm that pictured here in his photo was the Sven Johanson (the Olympic cross-country skier) house.

As noted initially, my dad's friend Sven saw his demolished house as he was watching the news reels when he was in Scandinavia.

IMG_8044.jpg

And here is another photo taken by my dad which shows the front of the previously discussed J.C. Penney building including the sidewalk on which I had stood just the night before the earthquake.

IMG_8042.jpg

An added point of trivia. The currently built 3 story J.C. Penny Building ended up reusing the elevator that was in the 4 story building as it existed at the time of the earthquake. For years it still had a 4th story elevator button that went nowhere.

Photo0065.jpg
Out of curiosity when I was in the J.C. Penney building yesterday I checked out the above described elevator that had been reused after the 1964 Earthquake.

As pictured, even though specific reference to the no longer existent 4th floor has been removed, it remains evident where the 4th Floor button was once positioned.

IMG_8908.jpg
IMG_8907.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT