ADVERTISEMENT

OT Sad news

d'son d

Gold Member
Dec 18, 2007
Howard Sweeney, MD, former team physician at Northwestern, mentor to many orthopedic surgeons and friend to all, passed away recently. He influenced a generation of surgeons in the "new" 'scope techniques. He will be missed by his friends and colleagues.

He cut me twice while I played for NU. Very nice guy, great bedside manner, real good representation of what the school has to offer. RIP
Great surgeon and humanitarian. One of the major reasons I wentInto orthopedic surgery. Spent a summer doing a clerkship with him he was very helpful in helping me get into medical school and was a great mentor to enter the world of orthopedic surgery

Treated me for a fractured clavicle-fell off a barstool at Talbot's. Fracture would be treated surgically today, but I still prefer the bump to a scar. He couldn't do anything for a "dead arm" other than recommend transferring to a warm weather school. PS-maybe I didn't fall off a barstool but it makes for a better story

Great surgeon and humanitarian. One of the major reasons I wentInto orthopedic surgery. Spent a summer doing a clerkship with him he was very helpful in helping me get into medical school and was a great mentor to enter the world of orthopedic surgery
For those who didn't know Howard, nickcat4 has it right on the button. As a colleague at Evanston Hospital (though not in orthopedics), he was the epitome of what a mentor should be, what a teacher should be, and what a leader is. The many physicians, nurses, and paramedical persons who worked with him would all be in agreement.

Last edited:
For those who didn't know Howard, nickcat4 has it right on the button. As a colleague at Evanston Hospital (though not in orthopedics), he was the epitome of what a mentor should be, what a teacher should be, and what a leader is. The many physicians, nurses, and paramedical persons who worked with him would all be in agreement.

That’s a terrific tribute. Thanks for sharing.

He cut me twice while I played for NU. Very nice guy, great bedside manner, real good representation of what the school has to offer. RIP
He cut a bunch of wrasslers,including the two guys I mentioned a few days ago in the other sports thread on Rivera

He cut a bunch of wrasslers,including the two guys I mentioned a few days ago in the other sports thread on Rivera

Howard Sweeney, MD, former team physician at Northwestern, mentor to many orthopedic surgeons and friend to all, passed away recently. He influenced a generation of surgeons in the "new" 'scope techniques. He will be missed by his friends and colleagues.
He did my cartilage surgery in the summer of 1968. No scoping back then so summer long rehab. On top of that I contracted mono while in the Northwestern infirmary post surgery. Had to do rehab and recover from mono at the same time...rough summer. Great doctor.

Last edited:
I can't remember for sure whether he was the one to give me the bad news back in 1970, but I think he was. I had been having shoulder problems for over a year, and none of the non-surgical efforts (other than rest) were working. Finally, he looked at me and said something like, "Son, the human arm was not meant to be a catapult," so I hung it up. Years later I found out that I had a torn rotator cuff, torn labrum, and some other damage in the shoulder - not good for a pitcher. His honesty was helpful; I was able to move on with my life.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT