ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Soccer is still such a stupid game

TheC

May 29, 2001
I want to like soccer. I try. I watch the big tournaments and try to appreciate it. But then I watch matches like this Switzerland-Spain quarterfinal of the EuroCup and I just wonder why it is like it is.

So, a Swiss player gets a red card with about 10 minutes left in regulation in a 1-1 tie game. So, they have to play down a man. Spain fails to score, so they go to a 30-minute overtime. Spain fails to score again. That means you have a team playing for 40 minutes with an extra guy and they can't score a single point. And Spain is one of the top teams in the world.

Something is wrong with your sport if you can't score in 40 minutes with a one man advantage. There is no other sport where having a one man advantage wouldn't allow you to just dominate the score.

IT'S SOOOOO STUPID!!!!!!

I want to like soccer. I try. I watch the big tournaments and try to appreciate it. But then I watch matches like this Switzerland-Spain quarterfinal of the EuroCup and I just wonder why it is like it is.

So, a Swiss player gets a red card with about 10 minutes left in regulation in a 1-1 tie game. So, they have to play down a man. Spain fails to score, so they go to a 30-minute overtime. Spain fails to score again. That means you have a team playing for 40 minutes with an extra guy and they can't score a single point. And Spain is one of the top teams in the world.

Something is wrong with your sport if you can't score in 40 minutes with a one man advantage. There is no other sport where having a one man advantage wouldn't allow you to just dominate the score.

IT'S SOOOOO STUPID!!!!!!
Shut up.

And Spain wins on penalty kicks. Thank god!! The better team won. I hate when the team that gets dominated the entire game goes on to win on penalties.

As a Spain fan, though, this game was soooo frustrating.

IT'S SOOOOO STUPID!!!!!!

What a bad take. The Swiss goalie stood on his head to send the game to PK. I guess you don’t like Hockey much either when a hot goalie stones the other team. In order to appreciate soccer, you must appreciate things that are done on the field other than scoring a goal. It’s the equivalent of appreciating a great block, or a sack, or a RB breaking three tackles to get a 0 yard run. I guess it’s hard to appreciate it if you have not played the game.

If you want to watch an even better game, take in the Italy - Belgium game that is coming up. My Azzurri are in great form.

The best and worst things about soccer are the spectators--way more entertaining than the game until there are fights and small riots because of all the booze consumed while watching an essentially boring sport. When I lived in London in the late 80's my friends would take me to cricket and soccer matches. Both boring but at least with cricket you have some fun trying to figure out what's happening.

What a bad take. The Swiss goalie stood on his head to send the game to PK. I guess you don’t like Hockey much either when a hot goalie stones the other team. In order to appreciate soccer, you must appreciate things that are done on the field other than scoring a goal. It’s the equivalent of appreciating a great block, or a sack, or a RB breaking three tackles to get a 0 yard run. I guess it’s hard to appreciate it if you have not played the game.

If you want to watch an even better game, take in the Italy - Belgium game that is coming up. My Azzurri are in great form.
If you give a hockey team a 40-minute power play, I guarantee you they would score a goal.

While I understand your point that there is more to appreciate than just scoring a goal, the bottom line is that you still have to score one more goal than your opponent to win and move on. So, yes, ultimately, the goals matter the most. If you can go 40 minutes with a one-man advantage and never score, then something is wrong with your game. That's my opinion.

ps.... I hope Spain wipes the floor with Italy!! (Something like 2-1)

• Haha
Reactions: FrancisSearle75
If you give a hockey team a 40-minute power play, I guarantee you they would score a goal.

While I understand your point that there is more to appreciate than just scoring a goal, the bottom line is that you still have to score one more goal than your opponent to win and move on. So, yes, ultimately, the goals matter the most. If you can go 40 minutes with a one-man advantage and never score, then something is wrong with your game. That's my opinion.
Differences are to be celebrated , grouchy!

g2.gif

Well duh. 5 on 4 on the 200 x 85 ice surface makes that a certainty. There is a good chance a shortie or two gets scored too.

But soccer has 11 guys. The field is bigger, but they aren't on skates. If you are down one, you can sacrifice offense for defensive integrity, play for the shootout, and maybe steal it.

Calling soccer "dumb" because your team cannot take advantage of the situation is merely an exhibit of your frustration. I get it. Spain should have put that game away.

You have suffered enough as a Reds fan. Spain should not make you suffer more. I hope the Spaniards give you some reason to celebrate!

Last edited:
I did grow up in an area where soccer was the primary fall sport. Ethnic communities fueled the interest-Germans, Italians, Poles etc. Trenton NJ was simply an ethnic community. The skills of professional players are extraordinary but I agree that watching the game can be tedious unless you appreciate square passes with no real attempt to attack the goal for minutes at a time.

The Europeans changed the rules of basketball as FIBA now controls international competition. The Euros could not compete with the USA and simply changed the rules to their advantage. FIFA will never accept suggestions from the USA to help their game, which they consider to be perfect

Here were my suggestions that I have advocated for 40 years:
1. No back passes to the goalie-incorporated now
2. Eliminate offsides-allow both teams to utilize the entire field-a "cheap goal" may occur but it will spread out the players allowing them to use their ball skills more
3. Allow immediate throw ins or kick ins on out of bound balls. Allowing kicks will create more opportunities for scores and to change field position. This will also tire the players ,again, allowing more space to use their skills. The ball must be played immediately and any attempt to "sneak" up the sideline or prevent a kick in will result in a 2 minute player suspension
4.Any player feigning an injury will be suspended for 10 minutes. Any player assisted off the field may not return but a substitute may be used
5. Eliminate penalty kicks to decide games. After a scoreless overtime , each team must remove 3 players, After another scoreless period 3 more players are removed from each team until a goal is scored
6. Enlarge the goal 3' in height and 6' in width

I used to go to a bar that on weekends showed international rugby in one room and soccer in another. There was constant noisy outbursts in the rugby room but every 10-15 minutes there would be a deafening roar from the soccer room-a goal ? No, just a shot on goal

I did grow up in an area where soccer was the primary fall sport. Ethnic communities fueled the interest-Germans, Italians, Poles etc. Trenton NJ was simply an ethnic community. The skills of professional players are extraordinary but I agree that watching the game can be tedious unless you appreciate square passes with no real attempt to attack the goal for minutes at a time.

The Europeans changed the rules of basketball as FIBA now controls international competition. The Euros could not compete with the USA and simply changed the rules to their advantage. FIFA will never accept suggestions from the USA to help their game, which they consider to be perfect

2. Eliminate offsides-allow both teams to utilize the entire field-a "cheap goal" may occur but it will spread out the players allowing them to use their ball skills more
3. Allow immediate throw ins or kick ins on out of bound balls. Allowing kicks will create more opportunities for scores and to change field position. This will also tire the players ,again, allowing more space to use their skills. The ball must be played immediately and any attempt to "sneak" up the sideline or prevent a kick in will result in a 2 minute player suspension
4.Any player feigning an injury will be suspended for 10 minutes. Any player assisted off the field may not return but a substitute may be used
5. Eliminate penalty kicks to decide games. After a scoreless overtime , each team must remove 3 players, After another scoreless period 3 more players are removed from each team until a goal is scored

I used to go to a bar that on weekends showed international rugby in one room and soccer in another. There was constant noisy outbursts in the rugby room but every 10-15 minutes there would be a deafening roar from the soccer room-a goal ? No, just a shot on goal
while we are changing the rules here is one. When they go into overtime, reduce the number of players that are allowed to go back and defend their goal but not the offensive players More offense and less defense will allow goals to be scored without going to a penalty kick situation.

Well duh. 5 on 4 on the 200 x 85 ice surface makes that a certainty. There is a good chance a shortie or two gets scored too.

But soccer has 11 guys. The field is bigger, but they aren't on skates. If you are down one, you can sacrifice offense for defensive integrity, play for the shootout, and maybe steal it.

Calling soccer "dumb" because your team cannot take advantage of the situation is merely an exhibit of your frustration. I get it. Spain should have put that game away.

You have suffered enough as a Reds fan. Spain should not make your suffer more. I hope the Spaniards give you some reason to celebrate!
Guilty as charged.

But I also agree with doc... I wish they’d make a couple changes to increase scoring chances. I totally agree with getting rid of offsides. At least in extra time.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I played soccer in college and love the sport. I think baseball is a stupid & boring sport. Do you really need to play 162 regular season games? Really?? A baseball game can last 4 hours with about 6 minutes of real action (maybe). Most of the game consists of a bunch of guys (millionaires) standing around waiting for something to happen. I would rather have my toe nails painted by Stevie Wonder than sit thru a baseball game. Therefore, we can agree to disagree.

I spent the first 48 years of my life not caring at all about soccer, but once my son started taking the sport seriously and I spent time with people who knew the game really well, I grew to appreciate and love the sport. I don't think major overhauls to the rules are needed. Maybe some changes to the offside (not offsides) rule would help, and maybe enlarging the goal a bit makes sense. You don't want too much scoring--a 2-1 or 3-2 match can be great, but 4-3 and 5-4 usually means you're seeing a lot of defensive mistakes.

One issue with extra time today is that teams tend to play conservatively and take their chances with the PKs. An intriguing proposal was to do the PKs before extra time.

Reactions: DaCat and corbi296
PKs are as stupid a way to decide a game as shootouts in hockey. You may as well have a free throw shooting contest in BBall. Does not in any way determine the best/deserving team.

Want to end a match in extra time? Allow offsides. Or go 7-7. To quote the inimitable Admiral Boom: "shake things up a bit, what?"

To be fair to soccer, most sports' overtime rules are stupid. Inaccurately determine the winner

PKs are as stupid a way to decide a game as shootouts in hockey. You may as well have a free throw shooting contest in BBall. Does not in any way determine the best/deserving team.

Want to end a match in extra time? Allow offsides. Or go 7-7. To quote the inimitable Admiral Boom: "shake things up a bit, what?"

To be fair to soccer, most sports' overtime rules are stupid. Inaccurately determine the winner
Unless you're in a playoff or tournament situation, the whole idea of overtime is questionable anyway. There's nothing particularly wrong with a tie. They used to have them in the NHL and NFL all the time. The Bears won their division in '63 with an 11-1-2 record to edge out the Packers, who went 11-2-1. If two teams have fought to a draw, why does one necessarily have to lose?

Baseball is one of the few games where an overtime in innings makes sense because it is a sport determined by units of play (innings) rather than time. And even there you see them coming up with rules to try to cut down the length of games.

I agree with changing the offside rule, but not eliminating it entirely. Maybe moving the midfield “offside free” zone deeper, like to the top of the penalty area. It would space things out a lot more while still keeping deep free kicks fair.

Reactions: techtim72
I agree with changing the offside rule, but not eliminating it entirely. Maybe moving the midfield “offside free” zone deeper, like to the top of the penalty area. It would space things out a lot more while still keeping deep free kicks fair.
All of this crap was tried during NASL and early MLS days and it was all stupid as hell. The game has been around in a pretty similar form for over 100 years, is the most popular sport in the world, is garnering record ratings in the USA, and the RD of 16 was some of the most exciting soccer I’ve seen in such a short time.

Spain scored 5 goals in each of their last two games. The fact that they couldn’t breakdown a 10-man Swiss side is entirely their issue (and a massive credit to the Swiss) and not an issue with the game. OP is a cry baby, must have some Italian soccer player in him.

Unless you're in a playoff or tournament situation, the whole idea of overtime is questionable anyway. There's nothing particularly wrong with a tie. They used to have them in the NHL and NFL all the time. The Bears won their division in '63 with an 11-1-2 record to edge out the Packers, who went 11-2-1. If two teams have fought to a draw, why does one necessarily have to lose?

Baseball is one of the few games where an overtime in innings makes sense because it is a sport determined by units of play (innings) rather than time. And even there you see them coming up with rules to try to cut down the length of games.
This is music to my ears. I LOVE Ties. Usually, one team is as disappointed as if it were a loss, and often, BOTH teams are. Ties are great, and, most often, deserved. Imagine if the 0-0 tie had gone to overtime. Really??

Reactions: FeralFelidae
An American coming up with a list of things to change about soccer so that it would become more "popular" is analogous to a European coming up with a list of things to change about football (American) so that it will become popular over in Europe. Imagine for a second how that would sound to your ears?

That being said, soccer is pretty boring to watch unless you're cheering for your team or you're in a bar full of fans, but so is any other sport for me. 🤷‍♂️

An American coming up with a list of things to change about soccer so that it would become more "popular" is analogous to a European coming up with a list of things to change about football (American) so that it will become popular over in Europe. Imagine for a second how that would sound to your ears?

That being said, soccer is pretty boring to watch unless you're cheering for your team or you're in a bar full of fans, but so is any other sport for me. 🤷‍♂️
I don't think soccer is boring at all. PKs to decide a game is stupid. Think of a better method. PKs prove nothing. May as well flip a coin.

This is music to my ears. I LOVE Ties. Usually, one team is as disappointed as if it were a loss, and often, BOTH teams are. Ties are great, and, most often, deserved. Imagine if the 0-0 tie had gone to overtime. Really??

I hear you. Just imagine if NU/IL in 78 went into overtime.

The best and worst things about soccer are the spectators--way more entertaining than the game until there are fights and small riots because of all the booze consumed while watching an essentially boring sport. When I lived in London in the late 80's my friends would take me to cricket and soccer matches. Both boring but at least with cricket you have some fun trying to figure out what's happening.
Tennis fans who live in glass houses shouldn't throw bola de críquete.

I look at overtime from a financial standpoint. If you're lucky, you can get you can get almost another quarter for the price of yur ticket. Especially true if you're a Northwestern fan. Maybe that's what they mean by the "value of your education."

You do know that the European led FIBA changed the rules of the American game known as basketball

Reactions: phatcat
I played soccer in college and love the sport. I think baseball is a stupid & boring sport. Do you really need to play 162 regular season games? Really?? A baseball game can last 4 hours with about 6 minutes of real action (maybe). Most of the game consists of a bunch of guys (millionaires) standing around waiting for something to happen. I would rather have my toe nails painted by Stevie Wonder than sit thru a baseball game. Therefore, we can agree to disagree.
I think getting your toenails done sounds like a soccer thing to do .Imagine rolling on the salon floor holding your toe after the technician smudged a nail

Reactions: NURoseBowl

The NHL does it right. If regulation ends in a tie both teams get a point. Whoever wins in overtime gets an extra point.

Reactions: mountaindrew
No American football fan should ever complain about another sport of being stupid or nonsensical.

And exactly who cares about this? They haven't changed the rules of basketball played in the US.
So what would be the problem if the US tried some of these suggestions In the early 80's they experimented with a different offside rule and the refs got it wrong just as they do now Refs call players offsides when replays clearly showed they were onside when the ball was played but not when the side judges look at the player receiving the pass. Eliminate offsides and this problem disappears

FIFA accepted eliminating back passes to the goalie, so rule changes are possible

Playing to send a game to PK doesn't seem like a way to select the better team

I do not dispute the skills of the professional players but the rules do not allow those skills to be fully exploited

Last edited:
Reactions: NUThump

Phat and PA, are you out of your freakin minds??? Ties SUCK. The new NFL rule shortening OT has led to a few ties the last few years - absolutely assinine rule change... just to accomodate TV scheduling needs.

We're obviously going to agree to disagree. I say, if a game is going to end in a tie... WHY PLAY?!?!?

Phat and PA, are you out of your freakin minds??? Ties SUCK. The new NFL rule shortening OT has led to a few ties the last few years - absolutely assinine rule change... just to accomodate TV scheduling needs.

We're obviously going to agree to disagree. I say, if a game is going to end in a tie... WHY PLAY?!?!?
We just feel differently. I can't speak for soccer/hockey, because they seemed like a tie was just part of life and they accept it, but in football, I LOVE ties because the disappointment is palpable. Remember a couple of years back when the Browns had lost like 99 games in a row and finally, disappointingly, had a game end in a tie? The coach's quote was something like "A tie! A tie!". Go read about the MSU/ND tie, or the OSU/Mich tie. Two of the greatest NCAAF games in history.

Another personal favorite was Nebraska Colorado, like 30 years ago, on Thanksgiving Friday. Nebraska was a clear favorite and leading late, and McCartney casually kicks like a 50 yard field goal on the last play of the game and trots off with a tie. A big (middle finger emoji) to the Nebraska coach.

Bobby Bowden after scoring like 4 touchdowns against Florida in the 4th quarter: "it was a dadgum good win..uh..tie".

To me, I think that if the "deserving" team wants to win, they should be forced to do it in regulation, not play rope-a-dope for the last 15 mins knowing they can win it in some sort of contrived, convoluted school-yard inspired OT set up (let's just start from the 25 and play overtime so we can be finished before Mom calls us for dinner).

Finally, and clearly, championships can't end in a tie. My complaint is the stupid OT rules referenced above, like what does it prove in soccer to beat a team with PK's? How does the "better" or "more deserving" team benefit in such a situation. My silly example - shoot free throws to decide OT in basketball? Sounds ridiculous, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT