ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Soccer is still such a stupid game

This is the deepest and youngest pool of national team caliber players that the US team has ever had. Consider that yesterday’s lineup was missing some of the U.S’s better players and it makes the accomplishment even more impressive. I’ve been watching the US team since closely 1990 and always wondered when we would see a quantum leap in the quality of the pool of homegrown players. I am surprised it took this long but it looks like that time has finally arrived.
That’s exactly right. This isn’t a Golden Generation — those come around after a program has plateaued — this is the quantum leap you were waiting on. And the truth is we’re just scratching the surface. This is the bare minimum level of competitiveness for a wealthy nation of 300+ million people and I can’t wait to see where it goes from here. (Fwiw I’m an MLS season ticket holder and strongly considering traveling to Qatar)

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Well, I watched the USA draw Canada tonight in World Cup qualifying. Two draws in two games is not a good result for the Gold Cup champions. The last World Cup, I believe, we missed even though we won the Gold Cup. I'm starting to get a little worried. Wednesday against Honduras is almost a must-win.

One of the commercials during the game, however, introduced me to this absolute gem of a song, so it was still time well-spent:

You do know that the European led FIBA changed the rules of the American game known as basketball
True. What’s so wrong about that?

FIBA changed a lot more rules than the other way around. A few:
-out of bounds used to be always on the sideline and not at the closest spot
-24 second clock, used to be 30
-14 second clock reset, did not exist
-3 point line was moved back
-moved from 1/2 to quarters, even if not 12 minutes
-allowed to advance the ball out of a timeout

There’s a lot of interesting ideas about soccer in this thread. The one about doing always with offsides is not one of them. The game would turn into an abomination with players sitting back. There would be little precise passing going on. It would feel a lot more like a game of kids kicking the ball and going to fight for it.

Soccer is far from boring. If any of you came out of a coma with zero memory you’d find baseball or football incredibly tedious. Like most of the world does. Like
Soccer they require understanding a fair amount about the game to be interested in it. The big difference of soccer and baseball/football (not so much basketball) is that soccer is a game that, if you are a fan, the game starts and, as a spectator, you are required to watch 100% of it. There’s not time for breaks. It’s a build up, it’s continuous. Even when the injuries are annoying and breaking the flow. It’s still 1000 times less breaks than football or baseball.

Bottom line, you don’t grow up with, and despite the fact so many kids play it, Americans don’t really grow up with it, you are not likely to appreciate the details, the flow, the tactics, etc. just like you don’t grow up with baseball and you’ll never understand what’s even remotely interesting about it

Reactions: WildcatWillie
It5pprg.gif

ADVERTISEMENT