ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Soccer is still such a stupid game

I don't get it, when I say eliminate offside in overtime, I mean one or more of the strikers could just stay past the defender, not have to wait for the ball sent their way. Like a fast break in basketball.

Choose your own rule. PKs are dumb. Play empty net. Play overtime until the team manager has to (gasp!) Use the reserves. IDC. Just get rid of PKs.
Penalty kicks are elite drama. Love them.

Lol. USA, USA, USA!

1200x0.jpg

They tried that and it incentivized extremely conservative play for the extra time, making it worthless. No one liked it in the couple of tournaments it was used and it got rightly tossed.
Thanks. I guess that makes sense, based on the little I know about soccer.

I learned the rule about extra time at the 2006 MLS Cup championship game. The Houston Dynamo were in it (against the NE Revolution), so my wife and I drove up to Dallas to attend the game. No score at the end of regulation, and when New England scored a goal in extra time, I thought the game was over and started heading for the exit. But then they lined up and kept playing, and the Dynamo quickly scored a goal of their own. It went to penalty kicks, and the Dynamo ended up winning the game and the championship. Thankfully there was no sudden death in extra time!

Thanks. I guess that makes sense, based on the little I know about soccer.

I learned the rule about extra time at the 2006 MLS Cup championship game. The Houston Dynamo were in it (against the NE Revolution), so my wife and I drove up to Dallas to attend the game. No score at the end of regulation, and when New England scored a goal in extra time, I thought the game was over and started heading for the exit. But then they lined up and kept playing, and the Dynamo quickly scored a goal of their own. It went to penalty kicks, and the Dynamo ended up winning the game and the championship. Thankfully there was no sudden death in extra time!
That was a fun couple of years for the Dynamo!

Both the 2001 and 2002 cups were decided by golden goal (sudden death) overtime. It was fun, but I think everyone would have preferred the other team to get a shot at replying. In international competition, it was really a bore. A couple of golden goals here and there, but mostly teams playing not to make a mistake.

Reactions: NU Houston
I tuned into a diving contest and a soccer game (briefly) broke out.

Copa America was unwatchable - so much theatrics and crybabies. The Euros were not much better.

There are three things that are absolute:
1) Death
2) Taxes
3) The English National Football Team CHOKING in the World Cup, Olympics and UEFA European Championships!

I loved to play soccer years ago but the current professional game ,despite the skills of the players, does not interest me. The EUEFA Cup only reinforced that opinion.

When Chellini horse collared Saka and did not get a red card, it was obvious that the ref did not want any part of a controversy. Rugby has a 10 minute sin bin for yellow cards and a new red card rule that allows return to play after a prolonged sin binning( It used to be final). A yellow card in soccer has no impact on the game but add a 10 minute sin binning and the deliberate take downs and cheap shots might disappear. Faking an injury should receive the same 10 minute sinbinning and the player should be required to wear a pink tutu when he returns to play

If we had no more fake injuries , we’d have no tiny stretcher, and I simply couldn’t accept the loss of the tiny stretcher. The tiny stretcher should be mandatory in all sports.

Reactions: TheC
They should use the old shootout rules of the NASL & early MLS. These weren't PK's but the player dribbled forward to the keeper much like a hockey shootout. The keeper could come off the line as well.

I loved to play soccer years ago but the current professional game ,despite the skills of the players, does not interest me. The EUEFA Cup only reinforced that opinion.

When Chellini horse collared Saka and did not get a red card, it was obvious that the ref did not want any part of a controversy. Rugby has a 10 minute sin bin for yellow cards and a new red card rule that allows return to play after a prolonged sin binning( It used to be final). A yellow card in soccer has no impact on the game but add a 10 minute sin binning and the deliberate take downs and cheap shots might disappear. Faking an injury should receive the same 10 minute sinbinning and the player should be required to wear a pink tutu when he returns to play

LOL, you should watch more closely. With VAR referees have been instructed to not make definitive decisions that could alter the course of the game and be proven inaccurate upon VAR reviews. The absence of Red cards and immediate offsides calls are two areas where this is evident. Had VAR been employed on that Chiellini play, not only would he not have received a Red Card but it would have proven that the yellow card should also have not been issued. That’s because the replay showed that Saka settled the ball with his arm before any contact with Chiellini occurred and therefore VAR would have awarded a free kick to Italy. I thought yesterday's Game was well officiated. He allowed a lot of contact to go uncalled but he was consistent about it for both teams, which is all you can ask from a referee.

If we had no more fake injuries , we’d have no tiny stretcher, and I simply couldn’t accept the loss of the tiny stretcher. The tiny stretcher should be mandatory in all sports.
Don't forget the magical mystery spray that trainers apply to the knees and ankles of injured players as they writhe in pain. It seems to do the trick, since those players are usually back in the game, limp free, a few minutes later.

Reactions: Indy Cat93
They should use the old shootout rules of the NASL & early MLS. These weren't PK's but the player dribbled forward to the keeper much like a hockey shootout. The keeper could come off the line as well.
Good call, Sauce. As a ballboy (and later, STH) for the Sting I thought those shootouts were much more interesting - and varied - than PK's.

LOL, you should watch more closely. With VAR referees have been instructed to not make definitive decisions that could alter the course of the game and be proven inaccurate upon VAR reviews. The absence of Red cards and immediate offsides calls are two areas where this is evident. Had VAR been employed on that Chiellini play, not only would he not have received a Red Card but it would have proven that the yellow card should also have not been issued. That’s because the replay showed that Saka settled the ball with his arm before any contact with Chiellini occurred and therefore VAR would have awarded a free kick to Italy. I thought yesterday's Game was well officiated. He allowed a lot of contact to go uncalled but he was consistent about it for both teams, which is all you can ask from a referee.
So a player is allowed to throw an opponent to the ground by the collar of his jersey as long as it's been determined that the game isn't in live play due to a separate infraction? That doesn't seem right. I'd think that yellow and red cards could be issued at any time for penalties equivalent to personal fouls in American football. Like when that idiot from Illinois kneed our o-lineman in the balls several years ago.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Don't forget the magical mystery spray that trainers apply to the knees and ankles of injured players as they writhe in pain. It seems to do the trick, since those players are usually back in the game, limp free, a
So a player is allowed to throw an opponent to the ground by the collar of his jersey as long as it's been determined that the game isn't in live play due to a separate infraction? That doesn't seem right. I'd think that yellow and red cards could be issued at any time for penalties equivalent to personal fouls in American football. Like when that idiot from Illinois kneed our o-lineman in the balls several years ago.

I disagree with your characterization. That was a professional foul during the flow of play intended to prevent a counterattack. It was not malicious and is no different than a DB grabbing a WR who is about blow past him on a double move. . Having said that, the short answer to your question is yes. Under the VAR review, the hand ball that was not called would have preempted any subsequent game action that took place. In this case a yellow card was given, the VAR review never took place and England was awarded a free kick. Probably a fair outcome considering the circumstances and another indication that the referee handled the situation pretty well.

Last edited:
Maybe a tie baseball game after 9 innings should go to a HR hitting contest. You pick your best slugger and he gets 5 swings. Makes about as much sense as stupid penalty kicks.

Also, only in soccer do you see a team take an early lead and then go into the prevent defense for the next 85 minutes. What a joke! England deserved to lose that game, though I imagine pretty much every other team would have done the exact same thing.

USA defeats Jamaica to make the semis of the Gold Cup!

They face Qatar, who certainly isn't from North or Central America.

How is the USA performing in the Olympics? Haven’t heard much.
The USA men didn't qualify for the Olympics (they haven't in a while).

The Olympic teams are the "U23" teams and are allowed no more than three veterans. So, the teams that compete at the Olympics aren't the same teams that participate in the World Cup. (Or the Gold Cup, for that matter.)

Mexico is participating in the Olympics and the Gold Cup at the same time. They're not the same players.

USA defeats Jamaica to make the semis of the Gold Cup!

They face Qatar, who certainly isn't from North or Central America.
The Gold Cup usually invites a team from outside the Americas. This year it is Qatar, who will host the next World Cup.

The Gold Cup usually invites a team from outside the Americas. This year it is Qatar, who will host the next World Cup.
Right, and the USA has participated in (and even hosted) the Copa America, which is South America's counterpart to the Gold Cup. I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with Qatar being invited. It would be funny if they won it.

USA defeats Qatar 1-0 to make the final! Mexico and Canada play for the other spot.

How did Qatar miss that penalty kick?

Is there some sort of record on 1-0 victories? In the last two games, the goal came after the 80th minute. Talk about cutting it close.

USA defeats Qatar 1-0 to make the final! Mexico and Canada play for the other spot.

How did Qatar miss that penalty kick?

Is there some sort of record on 1-0 victories? In the last two games, the goal came after the 80th minute. Talk about cutting it close.
I attended this game in the new Austin stadium and it was a good atmosphere. I was dreading a 0-0 draw and a penalty shootout, but fortunately we scored a late goal to win. I couldn't see the Qatar penalty kick miss in detail, only that it was skyed over the goal, but my son told me that the Qatar guy tried to do a fancy Panenka kick and failed miserably. On to the finals against our nemesis, Mexico.

I attended this game in the new Austin stadium and it was a good atmosphere. I was dreading a 0-0 draw and a penalty shootout, but fortunately we scored a late goal to win. I couldn't see the Qatar penalty kick miss in detail, only that it was skyed over the goal, but my son told me that the Qatar guy tried to do a fancy Panenka kick and failed miserably. On to the finals against our nemesis, Mexico.
What did you think of the new stadium? I drove by it a few weeks ago but haven't been inside.

I didn't even realize the semifinal games were being played here in Texas. Shows what I know. Interesting that the US played in a MLS stadium in Austin while Mexico played in a bigger football stadium in Houston. I assume Mexico is the bigger draw.

What did you think of the new stadium? I drove by it a few weeks ago but haven't been inside.

I didn't even realize the semifinal games were being played here in Texas. Shows what I know. Interesting that the US played in a MLS stadium in Austin while Mexico played in a bigger football stadium in Houston. I assume Mexico is the bigger draw.
The stadium was really nice with great sight lines and modern concessions. The seating capacity is 20,738 and that was the officially announced attendance, but I saw a scattering of empty seats. I guarantee there will be no empty seats in the final against Mexico in Las Vegas.

Glad to be wrong. USA, USA! What do we win?

🇺🇸 💪🔥⚽
The Gold Cup. 😀 Great effort by the young Americans. And Matt Turner earned a shot at becoming the #1 goal keeper with his performance all tournament. By the way, he has one of the best nicknames - Matt "Head" Turner.

Reactions: NU Houston
The Gold Cup. 😀 Great effort by the young Americans. And Matt Turner earned a shot at becoming the #1 goal keeper with his performance all tournament. By the way, he has one of the best nicknames - Matt "Head" Turner.
I was at the game. Crazy intense atmosphere as is always the case with this rivalry (Was surprised it took 90 minutes for someone to throw a beer at me). Before the match a Mexican fan told me that I had to know deep down we’d lose; I said “maybe, but if you do win, be sure to enjoy it because you guys won’t win another for the next 10 years.” He couldn’t argue with that.

This generation of USMNT has us poised for global relevance, and I was thrilled to watch our B-team change the guard in CONCACAF a tournament early. Now on to World Cup qualifying…

Penalty kicks should not determine the outcome of a game. I played in high school, a long time ago. I'd remove a player from each side every 5 minutes in overtime and play until a goal is scored. Only in tournament games, of course. A tie is a perfectly reasonable result in league games.

The NHL needs to eliminate the shootout too. A tie is fine after one short OT period, 4 on 4, but not necessary for league games.
In playoff games, they should play one 10 minute OT, then remove a player from each side, play 10 more minutes, then play 3 on 3 until somebody scores. Somebody WILL score.

Any other problems that need solving?

I was at the game. Crazy intense atmosphere as is always the case with this rivalry (Was surprised it took 90 minutes for someone to throw a beer at me). Before the match a Mexican fan told me that I had to know deep down we’d lose; I said “maybe, but if you do win, be sure to enjoy it because you guys won’t win another for the next 10 years.” He couldn’t argue with that.

This generation of USMNT has us poised for global relevance, and I was thrilled to watch our B-team change the guard in CONCACAF a tournament early. Now on to World Cup qualifying…

This is the deepest and youngest pool of national team caliber players that the US team has ever had. Consider that yesterday’s lineup was missing some of the U.S’s better players and it makes the accomplishment even more impressive. I’ve been watching the US team since closely 1990 and always wondered when we would see a quantum leap in the quality of the pool of homegrown players. I am surprised it took this long but it looks like that time has finally arrived.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT