ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sports Illustrated is dead

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
The entire staff has been fired.

Sign of the times, I guess. But that’s a brand that should’ve been too strong to die.

Getting *my* subscription with *my* name on it when I moved to NU felt incredibly adult. Read it cover to cover just about every week.

I wonder how long SI Vault will remain.

It was a dark and stormy night. A shot rang out. A pirate ship appeared on the horizon. Meanwhile, a boy grew up on a farm in Kansas.

I will always remember Darnell Autry on the cover with the text line “Darnell Autry Leads Powerful Northwestern Past Penn State.”

The original SI was founded by Stuart Scheftel in the 1930's, but that folded after a few years. The current incarnation dates from 1954 when Henry Luce acquired the rights to the name. He is also the guy who founded Time, Life, and Fortune. Not a bad group of mags to be associated with.

Reactions: drewjin
That’s interesting, I just yesterday saw a news story about a “Sports Illustrated branded hotel” proposal in Ann Arbor. I suspect that will die out or they will propose some other brand.

It was a dark and stormy night. A shot rang out. A pirate ship appeared on the horizon. Meanwhile, a boy grew up on a farm in Kansas.

I will always remember Darnell Autry on the cover with the text line “Darnell Autry Leads Powerful Northwestern Past Penn State.”

And that was the last SI I ever bought.

Sign of the times, I guess. But that’s a brand that should’ve been too strong to die.

Getting *my* subscription with *my* name on it when I moved to NU felt incredibly adult. Read it cover to cover just about every week.

This is unfortunately false reporting by my freeloader brother NUCAT320.

SI might be maintained by Authentic, which holds the license. They revoked it from the publisher after they failed to pay a quarterly $3.75M payment.

This is unfortunately false reporting by my freeloader brother NUCAT320.

SI might be maintained by Authentic, which holds the license. They revoked it from the publisher after they failed to pay a quarterly $3.75M payment.
Correct. In fact, the license holder says they are looking for a new publisher and intend to keep the magazine going.

I have that issue framed and mounted in my home office, as well as the issue with my old roommate Jack Cvercko on the cover - autographed by Jack of course. That cover reads "Power is Back in the Big Ten" :)

There’s a reason SI was losing $ hand over fist.
Yep...too much work to read these days.....easier to listen and watch talking heads go on and on.....SI did some great investigative journalism as well as bios....and well cmon the swimsuit issue!

Yep...too much work to read these days.....easier to listen and watch talking heads go on and on.....SI did some great investigative journalism as well as bios....and well cmon the swimsuit issue!
SI was using fake author names and ChatGPT to write their articles for them.

SI was using fake author names and ChatGPT to write their articles for them.
Yeah, this was under their current ownership, late last year. Just running pure spam.

The bright idea of their current editorial team (used to be Maven, the people that missed their licensing payment which triggered this thing) was to take everything that made SI great decades ago — long form writing, in depth reporting, a quality that you couldn’t get anywhere — and upend it in favor of spammy content designed to bring in spammy advertisers.

I stopped subscribing about a decade ago, so I’m complicit too.

I have been a subscriber for more than 40 years. Sports Illustrated has always been a mixed bag. Alot of their articles were and are fluff. By that I mean an athlete would be having a successful season and an article was soon to follow praising the athlete for every aspect of his or her life. Essentially the same article appeared over and over. Just change the name of the athlete and some of their wonderful deeds in and outside of the sport and you have your content. Nevertheless, there was and still is some good reporting and writing mixed in with the other stuff. I read it cover to cover, but you can easily predict from the subject matter of an article whether is going to be really worth your time. Despite all that I hope they keep publishing.

I will always remember their cover text: Zowie, it's Maui

Melvillian.

When he was in high school in the 1980s, my brother wall-papered his room with Sports Illustrated covers. I can still remember many of those covers like it was yesterday. Haven't picked up an SI in years though.

SI lives thanks to a new deal!

More info here -

David McCullough's first job after graduation was as a writer for Sports Illustrated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT