ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tavaras Hardy got a first-rounder drafted out of Loyola (Md.)

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
Santi Aldama, from Spain, played two years at Loyola (Md.) He averaged 21-10 this season.

He was relatively highly-recruited and chose Loyola because his father knew an assistant coach.

Hardy is 32-49 as a head coach.

He’s gonna have a tough time fitting into that shirt.

Reactions: TheC
Would he do a better job than our current coach? If so, could we hire him back after this next season?
He just isn't succeeding. I SOOOOO want him to succeed and come back to coach (presuming our current coach's trajectory continues to gently sink into the abyss)

He just isn't succeeding. I SOOOOO want him to succeed and come back to coach (presuming our current coach's trajectory continues to gently sink into the abyss)
Well, if he keeps developing players drafted into the NBA, that will surely help him with recruiting.

The last few seasons have been gentle?

I don’t want to see what you consider rough.

I feel the same way about T and Baldwin. I'd love them to demonstrate some level of consistent winning, but it's just not happening so far. You have to be able to show something.
Add Billy Donlon to the list of former assistants not showing a whole lot as head coaches

Santi Aldama, from Spain, played two years at Loyola (Md.) He averaged 21-10 this season.

He was relatively highly-recruited and chose Loyola because his father knew an assistant coach.

Hardy is 32-49 as a head coach.

For perspective, Loyola (Md) was 7-11 and 4-10 in the PL over the last two years Aldama played there. He was projected as a late second rounder and was a major surprise when he was selected in the first round.

I always find it fascinating how overseas players end up choosing a program.

Recently read about how Augsutas Marciulionis, son of Lithuanian legend/hall of famer Sarunas, and arguably the best European 2021 prospect, chose St. Mary's: history of developing guards like Patty Mills or Dellavedova??? Hard to figure out what other offers he had.

Take the example of Utah State's Neemias Queta. He was not unknown to a lot of scouts after playing a U18 Euro championship. Had offers from power conference programs like Creighton and Texas Tech. Went to little old Utah State solely based on the fact an assistant got on a plane and went to visit him on his own turf.

Recruiting international players must be really complicated. Even more if you are NU (I have no idea how, academically, they can do a proper evaluation). But so often gems are landed just based on the fact you were the program who actually made a decent effort to impress a player. Or took a risk. It worked for NU pretty well with Vukusic.

Reactions: NUCat320
I think Pat Baldwin was playing overseas and got in Vukusic's ear and that is how we got him. Not sure if Carmody or an assistant ever visited him.

Reactions: willycat
I always find it fascinating how overseas players end up choosing a program.

Recently read about how Augsutas Marciulionis, son of Lithuanian legend/hall of famer Sarunas, and arguably the best European 2021 prospect, chose St. Mary's: history of developing guards like Patty Mills or Dellavedova??? Hard to figure out what other offers he had
St Mary’s has a long-standing tradition of recruiting from the Australian Institute of Sport, their coach has been there for 20 years, and they’re regularly competing against Gonzaga for a spot in the NCAAs. If you’re an international prospect, you can confidently commit to the Gaels knowing your application process will go smoothly, your coach will be there for as long as he wants, and you’ll be seen by scouts. At that point you can focus on what matters — developing yourself into a pro.

Reactions: GatoLouco
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT