ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The team on the right side won this fight.

stpaulcat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
St. Paul
This is NOT a rant post. Watching the tributes to the Normandy Invasion today, and being older myself, watching these men over 100 years old who somehow survived that horrible battle to defeat Nazi Germany, I recognized I have had no clue, in spite of having served myself, of the courage revealed by these men. 4,400 Allied troops died that day. We would not have the society we have now without them, yet we are without them. [REDACTED]

Last edited by a moderator:
I visited Normandy, Omaha Beach, and the American Cemetery for the first time this spring. The overwhelming emotion of walking up into that cemetery after visiting the museum is indescribable. I still tear up thinking about it and what those brave boys and men went through that day.

I heard an interview on the radio today with a 96 year old veteran of the D-Day invasion who said he enlisted when he was 15 years old by lying about his age. He was 16 when he came ashore on Omaha Beach with his fellow soldiers. I told that story to my 14 year old son today, and even his moody teenage self was moved by it.

I visited Normandy, Omaha Beach, and the American Cemetery for the first time this spring. The overwhelming emotion of walking up into that cemetery after visiting the museum is indescribable. I still tear up thinking about it and what those brave boys and men went through that day.

I heard an interview on the radio today with a 96 year old veteran of the D-Day invasion who said he enlisted when he was 15 years old by lying about his age. He was 16 when he came ashore on Omaha Beach with his fellow soldiers. I told that story to my 14 year old son today, and even his moody teenage self was moved by it.
If it is the same interview I heard, he said a couple other things that were pretty important as well

NU Grad Guy Benson led off his show yesterday with a phenomenal recounting if his personal visit to Normandy as a young college student. I’m sure he and his show are one of your favorites, StPaul, go give the podcast a listen if you haven’t yet. Guy is an unusually gifted writer as far as political/news commentators go and his telling reflected this.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I visited Normandy in 2022, It was a tremendously moving experience. We stayed in a lovely old town, Bayeux that was spared during the invasion. The guide, we employed, was amazing with her knowledge of the invasion. The landing occurred at low tide to avoid the underwater obstacles that had been placed but that meant crossing several 100 yards of open beach under withering fire. Courage, beyond imagination, was needed at that moment.

Entering the American Cemetery, one is overcome by the sight of symmetric rows of Crosses and occasional Star of David markers. The lowering of Old Glory, in the evening, only intensifies the emotional toll of the visit.

There are so many other sights to visit that it would take too long to mention all. However, the one that surprised, was the visit to the German Cemetery. A large percentage of the markers bore the names of conscripted soldiers, from previously conquered nations, Poland in particular-they had lost their homelands and then their lives.

I can only hope that current and future generations visit Normandy and understand the sacrifices of "The Greatest Generation". My feeling now is that this will not happen

I visited Normandy in 2022, It was a tremendously moving experience. We stayed in a lovely old town, Bayeux that was spared during the invasion. The guide, we employed, was amazing with her knowledge of the invasion. The landing occurred at low tide to avoid the underwater obstacles that had been placed but that meant crossing several 100 yards of open beach under withering fire. Courage, beyond imagination, was needed at that moment.

Entering the American Cemetery, one is overcome by the sight of symmetric rows of Crosses and occasional Star of David markers. The lowering of Old Glory, in the evening, only intensifies the emotional toll of the visit.

There are so many other sights to visit that it would take too long to mention all. However, the one that surprised, was the visit to the German Cemetery. A large percentage of the markers bore the names of conscripted soldiers, from previously conquered nations, Poland in particular-they had lost their homelands and then their lives.

I can only hope that current and future generations visit Normandy and understand the sacrifices of "The Greatest Generation". My feeling now is that this will not happen
Maybe what should be said is what they were willing to sacrifice. Not sure that current citizens would be so willing to do what was necessary

Reactions: Eurocat
Further to my OP, there has been a disgusting and un-American effort recently to diminish the value of Americans' military service, apparently for political reasons, which is a disgrace to all those heroic people who gave their lives so we could live better than under fascism. This MUST not continue. Needs to be said, in light of the anniversary of the Normandy invasion, since that was why 4,400 allied troops died for us to live now.

Further to my OP, there has been a disgusting and un-American effort recently to diminish the value of Americans' military service, apparently for political reasons, which is a disgrace to all those heroic people who gave their lives so we could live better than under fascism. This MUST not continue. Needs to be said, in light of the anniversary of the Normandy invasion, since that was why 4,400 allied troops died for us to live now.
THIS was the rant post...

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

That’s absurd.

Well my vote is that that post is definitely political and inappropriate. Somehow this thread went from honoring military service to what I see endlessly in WaPo opinion pieces. Prefer getting my propaganda of any stripe from somewhere other than here.

That was the redacted part of my OP. I didn't name names the second time around. If we can honor honor here on this board, we can dishonor dishonor in the name of honor.. This current fight is for similar stakes, but being fought in a very different way. If we don't jump out of our landing craft and storm the beach, we lose. I vote to keep the thread, but lose the personal reference.

One of these days I will get to Normandy. I will bring plenty of tissue.

Every high school kid should be required to watch Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers and South Pacific.
Don't disagree with you about any of these, but still, South Pacific? It's true though, there is nothing like a dame. Have I just alienated the DEI proponents on the board?

Last edited:
Reactions: CMcCat
Cappy, "you are a good man Charlie Brown", and I have met Charlie Brown, so I know this to be true.. Sometimes, though, you are Lucy.

Last edited:
Not sure where your 4,400 number comes from. 9,388 US soldiers are buried at the American Cemetery in Normandy. Thousand of British, Canadian and other Allied troops are buried at other cemeteries there. Perhaps your number is specific to those who died on 6/6/44.

Hope you saw the Bayeux tapestry!

My wife and I also stayed in Bayeux and really enjoyed visiting the museum there (plus the large cathedral). We also went down to Mont Saint-Michel. Crowds weren't too bad in early March. Visiting Normandy (and Europe) in the non-peak season is highly recommended.

Reactions: WildcatWillie
Not sure where your 4,400 number comes from. 9,388 US soldiers are buried at the American Cemetery in Normandy. Thousand of British, Canadian and other Allied troops are buried at other cemeteries there. Perhaps your number is specific to those who died on 6/6/44.
Specific to 6/6.

Reactions: NU Houston
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT