ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is the worst stretch of highway you've travelled?

Nobody here takes the Eisenhower from, say, Pulaski through the Hillside Strangler?

I was on it this afternoon. It was horrible. Stuck in my FAT (Failing At Traffic) side-seated Honda Civic. Two motorcycles (illegally) lane split to get ahead. Good for them. Bad for the rest of us. It's time for thin cars for commuting. www.commutercars.com

I travel between Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio several times a year. On I-71, there is the Jeremiah Morrow bridge over the Little Miami River near Kings Island amusement park in the outskirts of metro Cincinnati . For several years, I avoided taking I-71 to go between Columbus and Cincinnati even though it is the fastest most direct route. Instead, I took I-75 to I-675 near Dayton and then took I-70 to get to Columbus.

The reason I avoided the bridge over the Little Miami River on I-71 is because it used to have bridge railings that were so low that I developed anxiety about going over the bridge for fear that even a slight accident would tip me over bridge to what looked to be at least a 200 feet drop to the river or river valley. The state has since expanded the bridge and the bridge railings. The higher railings have taken away a beautiful view of the river and the river valley, but have made it a lot safer and comfortable to cross the bridge. Apparently, part of the reason for higher railings when the bridge was updated is a history of suicides:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...racts-suicide-jumpers/AyrGK1cvO6vnZTBqrdhBON/

My nominations are the Cross Bronx Expressway, a lethal stretch of busted cement from the GW Bridge* to the Connecticut line, and I80 in Pennsylvania, a rumble strip in the summer and a white-knuckler in the winter, with the occasional suicidal deer any time of year.

*If you must cross the George Washington Bridge, take George (top) not Martha (bottom).

I95 from DC to Richmond in the summer. Just awful. And gonna do it again this summer.

I95 from DC to Richmond in the summer. Just awful. And gonna do it again this summer.
Wondering if 301 is a viable alternate to I 95.

East of DC or Annapolis area , 301 is an alternative. They recently installed toll express lanes on the Beltway and 95 in Virginia, I believe it costs about $20 to go 20 miles, only to find a single lane exit into bumper to bumper traffic

About 10 years ago they reworked the 'mixing bowl" where 95 meets the Beltway. I believe it took over 5 years to complete the project with unbelievable traffic jams night and day. Recent studies have concluded that the average commute has been reduced by 11 seconds

Reactions: NUCat320
East of DC or Annapolis area , 301 is an alternative. They recently installed toll express lanes on the Beltway and 95 in Virginia, I believe it costs about $20 to go 20 miles, only to find a single lane exit into bumper to bumper traffic

About 10 years ago they reworked the 'mixing bowl" where 95 meets the Beltway. I believe it took over 5 years to complete the project with unbelievable traffic jams night and day. Recent studies have concluded that the average commute has been reduced by 11 seconds

OK, this thread and just thinking about the awful traffic has compelled us to fly into Raleigh Durham instead of trying to road trip it. Problem solved in likely the only way possible.

OK, this thread and just thinking about the awful traffic has compelled us to fly into Raleigh Durham instead of trying to road trip it. Problem solved in likely the only way possible.

First trip to Duke in 2008 I flew from South Florida. Two years ago I decided to drive, stopped for the night in Savannah, Glades met me in Savannah, we drove to Raleigh Durham the next morning. After the game we drove back to Savannah that night.we had no difficulty at all with traffic into Raleigh Durham coming or going.

First trip to Duke in 2008 I flew from South Florida. Two years ago I decided to drive, stopped for the night in Savannah, Glades met me in Savannah, we drove to Raleigh Durham the next morning. After the game we drove back to Savannah that night.we had no difficulty at all with traffic into Raleigh Durham coming or going.

Raleigh Durham isn't the problem, and coming up from Georgia isn't the issue. The issue is the Northern Virginia stretch of I-95 between Washington and Richmond. Especially between Fredericksburg and DC. Pure hell. Especially in summer due to beach traffic (of course, that's why we are going too). I think it may be the absolute worst traffic in the nation, outside or perhaps including LA.

There is no traffic between Raleigh and Richmond. Or near Raleigh. Ever. Nothing that I would call traffic anyways.

Maryland isn't the issue, and I'd be coming from IAD, not the East side of DC, so heading up to 301 off the Beltway wouldn't make sense at all. The issue isn't just the Beltway and I95 junction. It is going all the way South from DC through Northern Virginia and at least to Fredericksburg, and really all the way until Richmond. Fredericksburg to Richmond can be as bad as DC to Fredericksburg. 150 years ago it took 4 years to make it from DC all the way to Richmond, with Fredericksburg being a key hurdle to overcome. It feels like nothing has improved since.

Last edited:
I've driven through Oklahoma, and while the roads were okay, context of them... yikes

Maryland isn't the issue, and I'd be coming from IAD, not the East side of DC, so heading up to 301 off the Beltway wouldn't make sense at all. The issue isn't just the Beltway and I95 junction. It is going all the way South from DC through Northern Virginia and at least to Fredericksburg, and really all the way until Richmond. Fredericksburg to Richmond can be as bad as DC to Fredericksburg. 150 years ago it took 4 years to make it from DC all the way to Richmond, with Fredericksburg being a key hurdle to overcome. It feels like nothing has improved since.

Take 29 south to 17 just past Warrenton-head east on 17 and you will get to Fredericksburg avoiding the worst of the traffic. If you are going to Virginia Beach, you can go through Bowling Green on 301 and then get 30 east. 30 goes through the Mattaponi Reservation to West Point hitting 64 near Toano

If you are going to Raleigh-15 is a possibility. Take 29 south and catch 15 through Zion's Crossing ,then into NC,

Take 29 south to 17 just past Warrenton-head east on 17 and you will get to Fredericksburg avoiding the worst of the traffic. If you are going to Virginia Beach, you can go through Bowling Green on 301 and then get 30 east. 30 goes through the Mattaponi Reservation to West Point hitting 64 near Toano

If you are going to Raleigh-15 is a possibility. Take 29 south and catch 15 through Zion's Crossing ,then into NC,

Thanks, but already decided to fly to RDU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT